Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 1/2/2016 12:03:13 AM EDT
Looking for some opinions please:

My black lab is almost 17 yrs and I think its his time , but I feel like im doing something wrong.  To me he has no quality of life left. He falls all the time, has to wear diapers , misses the sofa when he goes to climb on it, can't get up on his own on the hardwood floors , can't get off the couch without falling , barks all night long , whines all the time , slams his head into the floor ( has dementia ) .  Now has two sudden tumors or cysts , but I don't want to put him through any tests dur to his age .

We have to cover the furniture in plastic because he leaks while he is laying around , even with a diaper on .  After having him outside for and hour or more , he will come back in and when nobody is looking he shits on the floor even after he just shit outside . He still eats like a pig , but not much else , poor guy .

We had three other dogs we had to have put down over the past 20 yrs,  1 rott , 2 akitas .  But they were different situations . Two old age and kind of emergency related , the latest one , our female akita , 2014 christmas day to bloat . This one is just different.  Sorry for the wall of shit I just need some opionions please.

Here is the old man , Earl.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sad to say it's probably time for the poor old guy.  I think you know it too.

ETA - Off to give my pup a hug.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Be strong OP.

You don't want your friend to suffer.

Ex Girlfriend worked at a Vet's office,
She told me they go very peacefully.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#3]
stay with him until the end.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry op. I was unsure about putting my (wife's) Shih Tzu down last year. He would have good days and then really bad days. He passed away miserably.

I should have done him a favor and ended his suffering sooner.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Having had family dogs and working dogs for over 40 years, I have had to say "good-bye" to many K9 partners that went into the valley of evil and faced down the shadow of death with me more times  than I can recall. They were my best friends and loved members of my family.I spent more time with them than my own wife during 20+ years. I loved each and every one and they were devoted beyond measure to me. Two even saved my life while on duty and three saved babies and children lives when they were abandoned by their mother or lost but are now alive thanks to my K9 partners. My user name is in remebrance of one of my partners that saved my life from an armed robber who attacked  me with an 8" long knife. He fought the P.O.S. and suffered a career ending injury in the process.

No greater love can be shown than to lay down one's life for another. The same holds true when the fateful decision has to be made. They gave us their unconditional love, now it is time for us to return their love and show our love and not let them suffer.

You answered your own question by the long list of ailments and problems you great friend is experiencing. He is hurting, they just can't tell us verbally. Your love will best be fulfilled by doing the humane thing and relieving his pain and discomforts. It is selfish to let him go on in this condition because you don't want to make the tough love descision that needs to be made. The beginning and end to our physical presence is all part of life. Every living soul will face these facts, sooner or later. It's how we live our lives and remember the love we shared that is important.

Do the right thing, relieve him of his suffering. It is not mean or uncaring or unloving, but the exact opposite. He gave you his best, now love him forever and give him peace. He deserve nothing less from you.

All dogs go to heaven.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Had to make this same decision with my 13yr old English pointer right before Christmas. It is never easy, but they have been good loyal friends and we have to do our part for them. Be strong and do it for him.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I would say it is past time. Diapers. Hell no.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Having had family dogs and working dogs for over 40 years, I have had to say "good-bye" to many K9 partners that went into the valley of evil and faced down the shadow of death with me more times  than I can recall. They were my best friends and loved members of my family.I spent more time with them than my own wife during 20+ years. I loved each and every one and they were devoted beyond measure to me. Two even saved my life while on duty and three saved babies and children lives when they were abandoned by their mother or lost but are now alive thanks to my K9 partners. My user name is in remebrance of one of my partners that saved my life from an armed robber who attacked  me with an 8" long knife. He fought the P.O.S. and suffered a career ending injury in the process.

No greater love can be shown than to lay down one's life for another. The same holds true when the fateful decision has to be made. They gave us their unconditional love, now it is time for us to return their love and show our love and not let them suffer.

You answered your own question by the long list of ailments and problems you great friend is experiencing. He is hurting, they just can't tell us verbally. Your love will best be fulfilled by doing the humane thing and relieving his pain and discomforts. It is selfish to let him go on in this condition because you don't want to make the tough love descision that needs to be made. The beginning and end to our physical presence is all part of life. Every living soul will face these facts, sooner or later. It's how we live our lives and remember the love we shared that is important.

Do the right thing, relieve him of his suffering. It is not mean or uncaring or unloving, but the exact opposite. He gave you his best, now love him forever and give him peace. He deserve nothing less from you.

All dogs go to heaven.
View Quote

Well spoken and with the sentiment that a topic of this magnitude deserves.   To the OP:  I had a chocolate lab who was my world. At 14 he was having many of the problems you described.   Help him to be at ease.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys I appreciate it . You are all right, and in the back of my mind I already knew it. God dam dusty in here. So looks like Monday Ill be making that appointment for Friday ( only day they do them ). So for the next week he'll be getting a shit ton of love and his 2 fav foods: wings and twizlers. Again thank you ....DAMM DUST....
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys I appreciate it . You are all right, and in the back of my mind I already knew it. God dam dusty in here. So looks like Monday Ill be making that appointment for Friday ( only day they do them ). So for the next week he'll be getting a shit ton of love and his 2 fav foods: wings and twizlers. Again thank you ....DAMM DUST....
View Quote

Sorry my friend
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The right decision is the hardest to make.

Sorry Op
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
You have all of my sympathy.  It's never easy.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Well the old man is gone. Blows . Here he is in the back of the Durango waiting to go..... I dont do the dog clothes thing but he was starting to shiver when going out to the bathromm so , got him a sweater . First and only time he got to wear it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#14]

So sorry
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well the old man is gone. Blows . Here he is in the back of the Durango waiting to go..... I dont do the dog clothes thing but he was starting to shiver when going out to the bathromm so , got him a sweater . First and only time he got to wear it.

<a href="http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Mercenary_01/media/bubba%202016%20345_zpsiajj7jlh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Mercenary_01/bubba%202016%20345_zpsiajj7jlh.jpg</a>
View Quote

Sorry to hear.  I had to put mine down a couple months ago. Cancer at age 6.  You were blessed with all the years you had.  Death is a part of life.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry for your loss OP.   It's hard, but you did the right thing for him.  RIP Earl.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry to hear that. I just gave my dog a hug & kiss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7re7hLYOuY
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh boy, that brings back the memory of my ole buddy Jake.  I took him for that ride probably 20 years ago.  Man I know exactly what you're going through, and it sux.  It still hurts when I allow myself to think on it, but I turn to the happy memories I have of that big fellow (14 year-old German Sheppard) and his brother Max.  I raised them both from pups as I couldn't decide which one to get, so I got both.  Max went looking for him a day or two later and never returned.  That was a double dose of misery.

You did the right thing by loving him enough to spare him from more suffering.  I truly feel we will see them again.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry op.  It's never easy.

My wife's dog died in her arms last Friday morning.  He was a rescue that we had for 6 years, not really sure how old he was, maybe 9.  Last November he was diagnosed with an inoperable heart tumor.  With medications it was like nothing was wrong with him.

Goodby Scoobs.  Have fun playing with Earl on the other side of the bridge.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top