Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 11/19/2015 12:05:22 AM EDT
My 6 year old male miniature Schnauzer, Niko, has what could be a wart, mole or tumor on his left ear.  It is on the exterior of his ear and has an even pink color with a uniform rough texture like you see with dry skin.  It is somewhat bulbous in that it stands up off the skin.  For size reference it is slightly smaller in diameter than a plain M&M.  I noticed it a couple months ago and it has grown to its current size at a steady gradual rate.      

Niko has not been scratching at it, and it doesn't appear to be bothering him.  I have touched it and he does not mind me touching the area.  It seems firm and solid when touching it.  Other general observations:  Niko's appetite has been good and consistent.  We have him on a grain free food.  No problems with vomiting, stools consistent, drinks plenty of water and urine appears clean.  Energy and alertness levels are normal and what you expect with a Schnauzer.

I have read about Mast Cell Tumors, and am trying not to assume the worst.  Anyone with experience with similar conditions in their dogs?

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Shape? Symmetrical? Hair growing out of it?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Take him to a vet have them cut it out and biopsy it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 12:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Round, has symmetry, no hair growing out of it.  Even pink color on the growth.  No sign of bleeding or irritation (rash or swelling in the skin) around the growth.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Round, has symmetry, no hair growing out of it.  Even pink color on the growth.  No sign of bleeding or irritation (rash or swelling in the skin) around the growth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll need to post a picture otherwise there is no way to tell, even then it's tough but you can't really diagnose a mast cell tumor without cytology.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.
Benign inverted hair follicle. They don;t bother the pups but they can get infected if they get scratched hard.

Vet can remove easily, I have had two removed form my little buddy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 6:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I was just reading Wikipedia about schnauzer traits to learn more about mine. It mentioned having these, primarily on the back.

ETA: comedone syndrome is what they mention. Obviously, I don't know if that's what's going on with yours.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top