Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Most interesting pet thread ever.  

Keep the updates coming!.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a few. One that stays outside so she can get some sunshine on nice mornings, two in her room, and one in the living room for lazy days when it sucks outside.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Church---Do you have perches around your home, or just one that move and tether her to?

I have a few. One that stays outside so she can get some sunshine on nice mornings, two in her room, and one in the living room for lazy days when it sucks outside.

Its got to be seriously cools to have a social interaction with a wild animal like that.

What are her actions when she is in the house. Does she call , does she sleep mostly. Hawks are not exactly parrots so it has to be different.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Its got to be seriously cools to have a social interaction with a wild animal like that.

What are her actions when she is in the house. Does she call , does she sleep mostly. Hawks are not exactly parrots so it has to be different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Church---Do you have perches around your home, or just one that move and tether her to?

She's very quiet, with the exception of her bells. For the most part she just looks out the window. No when I come home from work she knows it's time to go hunt, and I will hear her flying at the door. When I go in to get her she's waiting at my feet, and will jump right to the glove. If I'd let her she would fly to the scale in the living room. She knows the routine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes I do. That's what makes falconry more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It's a bare minimum of 2 hours a day, every day during the hunting season. If she's at hunting weight, and the weather isn't hellish we will be hunting. Plan to hunt her tomorrow right after I eat. So she will go to the grandparents, and we will run to a spot I have five minutes away. Afterwards I'll go back to hang with the family, and eat dessert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

do you take her out hunting every day?

Yes I do. That's what makes falconry more of a lifestyle than a hobby. It's a bare minimum of 2 hours a day, every day during the hunting season. If she's at hunting weight, and the weather isn't hellish we will be hunting. Plan to hunt her tomorrow right after I eat. So she will go to the grandparents, and we will run to a spot I have five minutes away. Afterwards I'll go back to hang with the family, and eat dessert.
What would you do outside of hunting season with her?

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
do you take her out hunting every day?

If the bird is kept past hunting season they are normally put up for the summer to molt. If they are kept fat they tend to have better feathers, and they don't break feathers while they grow in.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

She's very quiet, with the exception of her bells. For the most part she just looks out the window. No when I come home from work she knows it's time to go hunt, and I will hear her flying at the door. When I go in to get her she's waiting at my feet, and will jump right to the glove. If I'd let her she would fly to the scale in the living room. She knows the routine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's Pretty Bad Ass!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome thread and a beautiful bird!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thread. Please keep posting.

I read a book recently about Indian life and the author (old Indian) said there was one tribe that specialized in catching Eagles. They would dig a hole in the ground, cover it with twigs, branches, and plant a squirrel or rabbit on top. when the eagle flew down and grabbed it, the Indian would reach up and grab the Eagle's legs. He said at that point it got interesting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for the lack of updates, been busy with work and hunting every day it hasn't been storming. She catching game almost every day now. Went out again today, and she was after a squirrel almost immediately. After a brief chase it got away.
She then followed me to the other side of the woods to a likely spot. I went to a tree with what looked to be a fresh nest in it. After shaking some vines I decided it was empty and went to move on. I then saw her take off towards me and I watched her coming in really hot. That's when I saw the squirrel in to very top of the tree start to make a run for the next tree. Well Natasha wasn't taking prisoners today, and smashed through the thin branches to get at it but missed. She quickly recovered and chased it through 3 or 4 trees till she made another kamikaze run that missed. She used her momentum to pitch up and make a sharp turn to dive on the squirrel working down the tree to a hole and ripped it off the tree to the ground. I had to side step to avoid being hit by them. She didn't get the best hold on this one and she was taking a pretty good bite on the top of her middle toe, so I grabbed the squirrel by the neck and squeezed as hard as I could making it gasp, while I got my poker out and dispatched it. I then let her pull fur for a few minutes and traded her off for half a day old chick. We tried to find another but didn't have any luck.
Here are a few pictures from the last week.

Link Posted: 12/17/2015 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Those feet are beautiful instruments of death.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:13:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Is this a Dupe thread?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 2:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is this a Dupe thread?
View Quote

The other is actually the dupe. I was asked to repost it in GD. But a few folks still just follow it here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The other is actually the dupe. I was asked to repost it in GD. But a few folks still just follow it here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a Dupe thread?

Just stumbled across this thread today. This is amazing. I wish I had the time to get into something like this. Thanks for the updates! Just subscribed to this thread.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just stumbled across this thread today. This is amazing. I wish I had the time to get into something like this. Thanks for the updates! Just subscribed to this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a Dupe thread?

No problem, it's been fun answering questions. Best bet for updates is in this thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1812571_Meet_my_new_hunting_partner_for_this_year__falconry_thread_.html
Several other falconers have posted pictures of their birds in it as well.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No problem, it's been fun answering questions. Best bet for updates is in this thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1812571_Meet_my_new_hunting_partner_for_this_year__falconry_thread_.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this a Dupe thread?

Thanks!

I actually went and read through that one after I read this one. Subscribed to both!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#16]
So the other thread was archived, and I'm very bored now. So here's a massive photo dump.

And lastly this one from yesterday, you can see her darker wing feathers growing in.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#17]

How is she doing? do you fly  her now or just feed her?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Right now she kept fat so she can grow perfect feathers. But I have flown her on a Ling line at dead rabbits towed by my dog
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool thread.  Great photos.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#20]
You are one of the coolest people on here no joke. I was watching a video on Hawking and got interested in the process, and am very impressed by what you have accomplished.

I skipped the other pages because its 2 Am and I'm about to head to bed, but will be reading the others in the morning.

I'm sure it was asked, But how did you get into this awesome form of hunting?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Right now she kept fat so she can grow perfect feathers. But I have flown her on a Ling line at dead rabbits towed by my dog
View Quote

Have any video of that?? I would love to see  her doing that
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
This is the best thread ever.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the update, I went searching the other night for the other thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#24]
No footage of the dog towing the rabbit. Went to record it once, but forgot to put a sd card in the gopro before I left home.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#25]
bump to keep it from archive
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Finally took the time to read completely through this thread.

Awesome.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#27]
How's the bird doing?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How's the bird doing?
View Quote

She doing very well, just got done moving, got her settled in her new mews. Got to schedule an inspection for it this week. As far as the molt goes she finally hitting her stride on it. She almost done with primaries, and secondary  feathers. Her tail is about half way done. I can just now see tips of red coming through.  Hopefully she will be done mid to late August so we can hit the woods.

Here you can see the tips of her red tail feathers poking out.

And here's a young black bird that got to close last week.

I'll take some more pictures when I get off work, she looking pretty haggard now half way through her molt, but you can get a good idea how she's gonna look.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
So here are a few more recent pictures. The grainy ones I had to use the full zoom to get, shes very secretive about her bathing activities. Also if the floor in her enclosure looks dirty, know that it is cleaned once a week, and this is only 4 days in. They are messy as hell!

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow she is beautiful, and it sure does take some dedication to your sport. Don't know if I could
Do it, but damn I wish I lived next door to you
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#31]
The Moulton is nearly over. Dropped the last of her tail feathers today, and one set of primaries to go along with a few more on her back and head. Hopefully I'll be able to get her back to hunting shape later this month.

Sunning in the yard.

This one is from a few weeks ago.

Last week or the week before.

And today.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#32]
She's going to be a beautiful full colored red tail.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a great thread!  Thanks for doing it.

Is she at all "friendly" towards you?  What kind of behavior does she exhibit when she hasn't "seen" you in a bit--like in the morning?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is a great thread!  Thanks for doing it.

Is she at all "friendly" towards you?  What kind of behavior does she exhibit when she hasn't "seen" you in a bit--like in the morning?
View Quote

Friendly is probably the wrong word. She's pretty tolerant of me. On the perch she's very hand shy with bare hands and will snatch me in a heartbeat. On the glove I can touch her about anywhere. She doesn't enjoy it though, doesn't bother her either. I only touch her to check her condition, or move disheveled feathers into place because I have O.C.D. about that. Definitely not anecessarily animal you want to give a kiss to.
She gets handled daily so she's never been fearful, a male I had went completely wild after a week of not seeing people. That was done to get him ready for release.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Slight thread hijack...

Juvenile red tail is down in my yard. Last weekend it's parents were desperately looking for it so it may have been down all week. Should I call the Wildlife Dept or let nature take its course, whatever that may be? The nest is about 150 yards from my house and there are radio antennas in my yard so it's possible it injured itself.

ETA Found this advice so I'll let it be.

Fledgling birds have their wing feathers, but stubby tail feathers and a few tufts of down. During the first few days after they leave the nest, they are unable to fly and will hop around on the ground fluttering their wings building strength for flight. The parent birds will leave the baby alone for short periods of time but are near by
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Is it fully feathered, and how long has it been on the ground?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fully feathered and only actually saw it a half hour ago but like I said the parents were pretty frantic last weekend. There were flying from tree to tree calling. That in itself doesn't mean they were looking for this particular bird. Maybe they were searching for another.

ETA When I first saw it it hopped and spread its wings equally and neither drooped. Would that be an indication that it's not injured or are they very resilient?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Fully feathered and only actually saw it a half hour ago but like I said the parents were pretty frantic last weekend. There were flying from tree to tree calling. That in itself doesn't mean they were looking for this particular bird. Maybe they were searching for another.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can be pretty vocal when the young leave the nest. Keep an eye out, if he seems hurt call DNR and they will give you a list of names to call.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They can be pretty vocal when the young leave the nest. Keep an eye out, if he seems hurt call DNR and they will give you a list of names to call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do, thank you. Just added a little info to the previous post.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#40]
My GF took this earlier. Cell phone pic and we didn't want to get close.

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely it's still figuring it all out. How long has he been on the ground?
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lQhVu8Q.jpg
View Quote

He looks to be in good shape. Also it's a red shouldered hawk, they are very noisy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About an hour now that I positive about. One adult is about 200 yards opposite the nest. The other isn't visible.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He looks to be in good shape. Also it's a red shouldered hawk, they are very noisy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/lQhVu8Q.jpg

Thank you for proper ID

ETA I'm on the eastern side of Coloroda Springs CO so these ones are on the western end of their range according to Wiki.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Last feathers where dropped today, should be good to get back to hunting in a few weeks. She dropped he first major feathers June 3rd. What a difference 2 months can make.

June 3rd

Today

Her beak is due for a trim.

Link Posted: 8/10/2016 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#46]
WHO in the hell trims her beak? I want to see pics of that
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WHO in the hell trims her beak? I want to see pics of that
View Quote

I'll end up doing it, most captive raptors, and parrots as well, need their beaks trimmed back now and again. They get a lot less wear on them in captivity than in the wild.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Love this thread
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Damn she gets more and more beautiful!
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Just stumbled in here today.  What  cool sport.  

Good for you OP.

Shes a beautiful raptor.
Page / 5
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top