Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2015 12:49:55 PM EDT
I bathe my shep mix with dandruff shampoo. I ran out and just used another shampoo in the house.... And suddenly he has large flakey dandruff. I bought another bottle of shampoo yesterday. Before I washed him I used a brush to get the dander off his skin. I found that he had a red rash down his back, I assume from where the dander was coming loose. So I gave him a bath and check again today. I'm still seeing the rash. Will the zinc based dander shampoo clear it up or has he got something else going on?

He doesn't seem to be bothered by any of it, no scratching or anything...
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Brands of shampoo? It might take a while for irritation to go down. I use baby shampoo and my own conditioner on my dog.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brands of shampoo? It might take a while for irritation to go down. I use baby shampoo and my own conditioner on my dog.
View Quote

Pert was what I used the last few times.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Update...Two baths with a head & Shoulders shampoo the last few days and his skin is clearing up...

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
fish oil will solve that.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Update...Two baths with a head & Shoulders shampoo the last few days and his skin is clearing up...

View Quote

You probably want to call your vet and get her advice. I'm glad it's working, but a lot of bathing and harsher people shampoos can be rough on a dog too.

But the dog is getting better so maybe she'll say keep it up. I don't know.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Side note, heard eggs in this for helps with their coat and skin. Oils from the egg I guess... Not sure if true.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine gets her daily squirt of salmon oil on her food (1 tsp).
This for a dog who is mostly skin on her belly and neck--no fur at all in those areas.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Gave up, went to the vet. $150 later...ever see a $42 bottle of dog shampoo..

Bacterial...antibiotics and anti-bacterial shampoo.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top