Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/21/2015 6:28:47 PM EDT
Before I run off and spend money that I don't have. Are there any Vets on here or anyone who has treated a (possible rattlesnake/ water moccasin) bite. Went out back to feed my dog and noticed two fang marks on upper right lip. Slightly swollen. He's acting fine for now. I've got him in his crate, monitoring him. If it gets any worse, I'll call the Dr.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a DVM, but I would see one, RFN.

No matter how much money you have or don't have, you owe him a reasonable level of care.

I think the swelling indicates tissue destruction from hemolytic venom.

On the other hand, this advice is worth exactly as much as you are paying for it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
just gave him 10mg of antihistamine
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
been about an hour, so far the swelling has stopped. I've seen a few bites where they were just fine, but Ive also seen ones that cause major swelling and tissue damage. So for now I'm just monitoring it. Trust me I'll take him if it gets worse.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my mother's dogs got nailed by a Copperhead, and her face swelled up like a balloon, right away.

Fortunately, a DVM was less than a mile away.

Both of those snakes have the potential to be much worse.

I hope it is just a local reaction, then.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope so too. Right now we are still looking good. We have rat snakes and black racers too. I didn't see it, but Im thinking if it was venomous it mustve just hit and not injected. I've looked all around hoping to find it, so at least I'd know what kind it was. Freaked me out at first, hes calm and just chillin in his crate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dogs seem to deal with snake bite pretty well, keep an eye on it and treat the puncture area with antibiotics if nothing else. Punctures always run the risk of deeper infection.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you located OP?  If swelling has stopped, breathing and eye responses seem normal and your pup isn't trying to let you know it's in pain, then most likely it was a dry bite and a very minimal amount of venom was released. The face is also one of the optimal places to take a hit.  I'd at least call your vet and let them know what's going on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like he's fine. I'm going to pick up some antibiotics in the morning. He's acting normal, just ate and after he takes care of his business I'll bring him in for the night. He's really a good dog, just pray that it doesnt get worse. I figure, a few days of benadryl, a week or so of penicillin and a little tlc will do him good. He just killed a possum last week so I bet he was trying to get after a little rattler too. Fangs marks are about an inch apart, didnt go all the way through his lip. I'd say that his lip is about 1/3 of an inch thicker than normal and area wise about three inches in diameter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Dogs face looks funny op.. But nothing funny about a snakebite. Monitor him through the night, yes that means getting up in the middle of the night and get him to a vet asap if he is not doing his normal things..
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#10]
He's sleeping now. I'm gonna check on him all night. No sleep for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Did he survive the night?

ETA: Did you?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
He did great. Gave another dosage of antihistamine this morning. Starting him on antibiotics this afternoon. He's been enjoying this nice weather all day. Swelling has started to go down, finally. I'm gonna stop by Publix on the way home and get him a big steak. Sure hope he learned his leason and will let snakes be from here on out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Why are you giving him antibiotics?  Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria, i.e. slow or prevent a bacterial infection.  Why would this be a response to venom?  I could see if there was a dirty wound and you were worried about an infection to give antibiotics, and I suppose in theory any animal's mouth could have bacteria and cause an infection, but would you give your dog antibiotics if it got bit or clawed by the neighbor's cat?  The swelling is being attributed to the action of the venom, not an infection.  

I do know that a lot of people in third world countries die from snakebites even though they go to the doctor because the doctor often gives antibiotics plus pain medicines (they tend to respond with those two for almost everything because that's the only tool in their toolbox) which do nothing to stop the venom from doing it's thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are you giving him antibiotics?  Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria, i.e. slow or prevent a bacterial infection.  Why would this be a response to venom?  I could see if there was a dirty wound and you were worried about an infection to give antibiotics, and I suppose in theory any animal's mouth could have bacteria and cause an infection, but would you give your dog antibiotics if it got bit or clawed by the neighbor's cat?  The swelling is being attributed to the action of the venom, not an infection.  

I do know that a lot of people in third world countries die from snakebites even though they go to the doctor because the doctor often gives antibiotics plus pain medicines (they tend to respond with those two for almost everything because that's the only tool in their toolbox) which do nothing to stop the venom from doing it's thing.
View Quote

Fang punctures from reptiles are VERY prone to infection. Heck, for that matter, any puncture wounds, especially from animals, should be watch and treated very carefully. Puncture wound infections can be far harder to heal then surface or shallow wounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Because if it was a cottonmouth, the infection would probably be nasty. He has a two nice size chunks out of his muzzle where the fangs went in. He's always outside, swimming in the ponds, digging/wollering in the dirt and just being a pup. A few rounds of antibiotics wont do him any harm.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fang punctures from reptiles are VERY prone to infection. Heck, for that matter, any puncture wounds, especially from animals, should be watch and treated very carefully. Puncture wound infections can be far harder to heal then surface or shallow wounds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  If you go to the hospital for a copperhead bite you don't get antivenom, you get antibiotics and are monitored for a while.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top