Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2015 10:07:51 PM EDT
Well obviously don't spank my dog anymore lol.

A little history:

My dog is scared of just about damn near everything including her shadow. She is VERY VERY timid. Recently after moving from Texas to Pennsylvania my girl Beagle developed a problem with peeing inside the cabin. When I wasn't there or left for just a little bit she would hose the place down. She even got a habit of doing it in her bed(which was located next to my bed) in the middle of the night. Odor was bad enough it woke up me up several times. If I caught her doing it she got a popping on the butt. Now she refuses to piss or poop in my presence period. She doesn't have a UTI or anything like that. Already took her to the vet. What can I do? If she still does it in the house, I'm now where I don't say anything I just clean it up. I wont penalize her or praise her. I'm kind of stuck in a rut and feel like I'm back to the beginning of having to house-train her.

Anyone been down this road before with their dog?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Demonstrate for the dog where is an approved place to do it.  Not kidding, I had to do this for one of my dogs.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#2]
you need to identify a reward she likes.
a toy, tug, ball, food, etc.
then take her out, really every 15-20-30-minutes until she goes.
as she is going Identify the behavior. "Good potty" whatever command you want to use.

as soon as she is done, and literally within microseconds, reward her and play play play
also a good time to work on the YES command
same idea as a clicker, but we dont always have a clicker with us, but we always have our mouths. it so much easier to say YES than click

eventually going to the bathroom on command will be rewarded. itll take a LONG LONG time since you reacted negatively to her
positive reinforcements or negative rewards (operant behavior although hard to do in house training) will pay off much more than a negative reinforcement (can you always be around)

and no liquids 1-2 hours before bed
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Beagles are in a class all by themselves when it come to potty training.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol yeah my next dog coming up will be a German shepherd. I love my beagle though. Behind those eyes is very smart animal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol yeah my next dog coming up will be a German shepherd. I love my beagle though. Behind those eyes is very smart animal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel your pain on training a beagle. I love mine but I can see it in her eyes when she just isn't going to do something because she doesn't feel like it. Treats usually work, but she'll sometimes do just enough to get by and earn the treat. The frequent outside thing will work, as well as the reward when she behaves. You've seen what negative reinforcement does, now try positive.

Also, mine gets mad sometimes and goes and pees on a bathmat. Doesn't matter if she just went out, she'll work up enough pee to do it. I don't care what the trainers say, she is doing it to be spiteful. Unless I catch her in the act, I ignore it, clean it up and deny her access to that area for a while. She rarely does it now, and I have learned to see the signs of it coming so I can take steps to prevent it.

Now, having said that, I need to go check a certain bathmat. Running my mouth has probably earned me a wet sock

ETA: Try hanging a bell on the door you want her to go out when it's time to get busy. It'll give her something to focus on when she needs to go. If I tell my dog to 'get busy' she knows she needs to go outside and use the bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I replaced carpet in 2 houses due to a beagle's potty training issues.
I feel your pain.
Pretty much has been covered. Act like she won the damn lottery when she goes.
It'll be slow but she'll catch on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I feel your pain.
View Quote

hmmm. time to go get those little pocket treats again. I slipped a beggin strip in my pocket and she sniffed that right out this morning.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please, for both you and the dog, consider getting a good dog trainer to work with you.  I think it will help much more than just potty training.  :-)

1. If the puppy just woke up, take it outside, don't take it back in until it "goes". Reward the dog for going outside with a "yes" and a treat IMMEDIATELY AFTER it finishes. Not 10 seconds later, IMMEDIATELY after.
2. If the puppy has had water, take it outside until it goes.
3. If the puppy has eaten, take it out within 10-40 minutes until it goes.
4. If the puppy has been playing for a little bit, take it outside until it goes.
5. If the puppy hasn't been out for 30 minutes or so for other reasons, take it out until it "goes".
6. If the puppy is sniffing at the ground, take it out.

You control the situation so that the dog never goes in the house, and she will do the rest. Dogs naturally don't want to go in their "dens", but their "dens" by nature are a few square feet, not a few thousand.

Plus, they can imprint the feel of certain textures under their feet (like carpet, grass, etc.) with "potty places". Control the situation, show kindness, and it will work out. *IMMEDIATELY* reward with praise and treats the instant the dog is done going outside.

Now, the dog IS and WILL show signs that it is going to go to the bathroom, you just have to watch for them. If the dog goes in the house... smack yourself and say "I should have watched my dog more closely".
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Please, for both you and the dog, consider getting a good dog trainer to work with you.  I think it will help much more than just potty training.  :-)

1. If the puppy just woke up, take it outside, don't take it back in until it "goes". Reward the dog for going outside with a "yes" and a treat IMMEDIATELY AFTER it finishes. Not 10 seconds later, IMMEDIATELY after.
4. If the puppy has been playing for a little bit, take it outside until it goes.
5. If the puppy hasn't been out for 30 minutes or so for other reasons, take it out until it "goes".

You control the situation so that the dog never goes in the house, and she will do the rest. Dogs naturally don't want to go in their "dens", but their "dens" by nature are a few square feet, not a few thousand.

Plus, they can imprint the feel of certain textures under their feet (like carpet, grass, etc.) with "potty places". Control the situation, show kindness, and it will work out. *IMMEDIATELY* reward with praise and treats the instant the dog is done going outside.

Now, the dog IS and WILL show signs that it is going to go to the bathroom, you just have to watch for them. If the dog goes in the house... smack yourself and say "I should have watched my dog more closely".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

smacking myself is something I'm doing already lol. How much do dog trainers cost? and she's not a puppy. she's 7 years old now and I am her second master. First master was a breeder who died of cancer and I adopted her.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

smacking myself is something I'm doing already lol. How much do dog trainers cost? and she's not a puppy. she's 7 years old now and I am her second master. First master was a breeder who died of cancer and I adopted her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get group classes as low as a hundred bucks or so for 6-8 classes.  Look at reviews, dog trainers come in all levels of quality, so to speak.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 1:07:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

hmmm. time to go get those little pocket treats again. I slipped a beggin strip in my pocket and she sniffed that right out this morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel your pain.

Wait for them to finish pottying, and the INSTANT that they finish, say "Yes, good dog!" in your happiest voice, and put that treat under their nose.  Not five seconds later, but THEN.

Three of many things to learn in training dogs:

1.  When you look at dog trainers that get better results, they give feedback INSTANTLY.  Dogs don't project forward and back in time, they're always "in the moment", and they associate feedback with the very last thing they did.

2.  Dog trainers that are more successful give feedback MUCH more often than dog trainers that don't.  We're talking several times per minute, or even more.

3.  A dog's brain, like a human's brain, can't replace something (like a response or a behavior) with "nothing".  So, telling them NOT to do something doesn't work very well.  Teaching them an acceptable, positive REPLACEMENT behavior works very well.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top