Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/29/2015 8:25:34 AM EDT
Josie, my One and a half-year-old chocolate lab, has had squirting diarrhea since Monday evening (place in her kennel, once in my new office, with new carpet ).  As far as I know, she has not been gotten into anything other than what you might find in the nearby woods (deer parts, poop, etc). She still fetches, drinks water, acts pretty much normal, but a little lethargic.  Based on what I read on the all-knowing Internet, we stopped feeding her normal routine starting Tuesday mid day.  She has only had a few slices of white bread since.  This morning she had more watery diarrhea in her kennel, almost looked like pee on the towel.

Gave a dose of Imodium this morning.

Vet time?  Or wait it out?  Other thoughts?

ETA Pics of Josie

Today(she prefers 7.62 by the way)

as a pup:

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Vet for me.

I wouldn't own a lab without insurance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've fed nothing out of her normal diet, I'd run her in to the vet to be safe.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
just talked to vet.  of course they want to see her...will update later for anyone that cares.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You can't expect a Veterinarian to respond otherwise to a phone call which says "My dog has the squirting shits, what is wrong?".

He has to see the dog.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just talked to vet.  of course they want to see her...will update later for anyone that cares.
View Quote

Of course we care, she's adorable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, she is my buddy, goes with me everywhere (work, car rides, shooting, etc).  Guessing she ate something should not have, maybe out of one of the stuffed animals she just got hold of, but she's a lab, who knows what (bacteria-ridden deer parts, poop, etc).  So far, she tears stuff up into little tiny pieces and leaves on the floor (vs swallowing them), but who knows.  I am anxiously awaiting a call from the vet, but won't be surprised if they say she ate a battery or something stupid
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was a kid, we had neighbors who had a couple of Irish Setters.

One of them ate part of a box of shotgun shells.

I don't remember any more, as I was just a kid, but I remember my dad shaking his head over it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
lots of recalls on dog foods that will kill your buddy
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#9]
will have to check on it.  She is eating some stuff my friend the vet sends us (something pretty damn $)

tks

Quoted:
lots of recalls on dog foods that will kill your buddy
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
When my lab has had pooping issues, I've fed boiled chicken and white rice for a few meals and it seems to clear it up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:28:15 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, back from vet and $120 less rich (very reasonable IMHO for the tests they ran).  Nothing swallowed, but high levels of "campylobacter" bacteria - see LINK

Got some pills to take care of it.  All is good, got my buddy back and she is happy

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:07:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK, back from vet and $120 less rich (very reasonable IMHO for the tests they ran).  Nothing swallowed, but high levels of "campylobacter" bacteria - see LINK

snip...
View Quote

Glad to here your buddy is doing well now.

Campylobacter is no joke. I spent two days in the hospital on IV antibiotics due to that shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Did the Veterinarian have any guesses as to how/where the infection was acquired?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]
she said some dogs have it, low levels, never a problem, then it can become an issue via eating something like undercooked beef (beef being the primary word, not raw deer meet, chicken, etc).  Her thought was something like undercooked beef, but I am pretty sure she did not get into the trash or anything.  Pretty simple solution - some pills for a few days.  She checked her for ingestion of something (toy parts, etc), then a bunch of in-butt tests of her stool.

That was her best guess.  She also said there might be a few more squirts so to beware.  Yay.  So far, two in-kennel blow-outs (bedding, wall, etc), then one in my brand new carpet in my home office, right on the side of my equipment cabinet with stereo, PS4, etc.  All over the plugs, yuk.

Quoted:
Did the Veterinarian have any guesses as to how/where the infection was acquired?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:32:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Campylobacter is no joke. I spent two days in the hospital on IV antibiotics due to that shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

snip...

She told me I could get it, so be careful.  I've done my cleaning with surgical gloves on fortunately (not b/c of infection, but due to handling liquid poo)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
She told me I could get it, so be careful.  I've done my cleaning with surgical gloves on fortunately (not b/c of infection, but due to handling liquid poo)
View Quote

I was going to bring that up, but it's good that she covered it.

It is said that it only takes 500 organisms (individual bacteria) to cause infection.

That ain't a hell of a lot.

I don't know how long the organism remains viable, but I'd be tempted to make up a dilute (1/2 cup per gallon of water) solution of bleach, and do some disinfecting.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
she said some dogs have it, low levels, never a problem, then it can become an issue via eating something like undercooked beef (beef being the primary word, not raw deer meet, chicken, etc).  Her thought was something like undercooked beef, but I am pretty sure she did not get into the trash or anything.  Pretty simple solution - some pills for a few days.  She checked her for ingestion of something (toy parts, etc), then a bunch of in-butt tests of her stool.

That was her best guess.  She also said there might be a few more squirts so to beware.  Yay.  So far, two in-kennel blow-outs (bedding, wall, etc), then one in my brand new carpet in my home office, right on the side of my equipment cabinet with stereo, PS4, etc.  All over the plugs, yuk.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My dox had an issue last week with vomiting.  For three solid days it was the pukes on and off.
Went to the vet--$203 subcutaneous fluids, shots, pills.  She still continued to puke stomach acid.  Vet said what she had was viral--no high white cell count in her blood.
I got tired of this and started in with some "dog probiotics".  Raw Goat's milk, greek yogurt, and tripe.

Problem solved.  I have no explanation.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top