Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
This cat is snow white, almost albino, with blue eyes and is stone cold deaf.  She is almost 19 years old.  

She was pulling her hair out last night and the wife noticed this sore on her hindquarters.

Can anyone tell me what it might be?  I don't want to spend the money on a vet visit for a cat that a) hates me and b) will probably die any day now anyway.  

lol just kidding.  I have grown attached to the damn cat as well.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an infected spider bite or some other kind of insect bite.

Treat it like you would an infection a human.  Wash it out (gently) and then put antibiotic on it.

The hard part will be keeping the cat from messing with it.

It could also be cancer that itched and all the damage is from the cat messing with it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks maybe insect related.  Maybe not.  Could be fungal or bacterial.  Had a similar small spot appear on my dog's head a couple months ago.  It was about 1cm and not quite that well defined as a circle.  A week or so of applying Tinactin did nothing.  So we did twice daily applications of Neosporin (rubbed in with finger) and about ten days cleared it up and hair has grown back.

And by the way, your thread title has serious potential for jokes.  Had to look a couple of time to be sure I was in 'Pets' and not 'GD'.  But since it is Pets, I'll restrain myself.  

ETA: If it is an area that can be licked easily, you may have an issue with using the products mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks maybe insect related.  Maybe not.  Could be fungal or bacterial.  Had a similar small spot appear on my dog's head a couple months ago.  It was about 1cm and not quite that well defined as a circle.  A week or so of applying Tinactin did nothing.  So we did twice daily applications of Neosporin (rubbed in with finger) and about ten days cleared it up and hair has grown back.

And by the way, your thread title has serious potential for jokes.  Had to look a couple of time to be sure I was in 'Pets' and not 'GD'.  But since it is Pets, I'll restrain myself.  

ETA: If it is an area that can be licked easily, you may have an issue with using the products mentioned.
View Quote

Lol She is NOT happy.  Look at her face.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You should have some fun with it. The cat will love it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/lostangelintexas/fate3.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/lostangelintexas/fate3.jpeg

Poor kitty.  How are you treating the spot?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Trying Neosporin first.  If that doesn't do it, then not sure what else to do next.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Trying Neosporin first.  If that doesn't do it, then not sure what else to do next.
View Quote

My vet stressed the need to rub it in with your finger (do not use Q-tip  as it is too abrasive), and apply twice daily.  Also be sure the Neosporin is the regular triple-antibiotic formula and NOT the pain reliever formula.  Could easily take a couple of weeks, depending on the bacteria.  Wish I was better at diagnosing, but that spot looks like it could just as likely be fungal.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure you can apply treatment for both at the same time.

I was lucky that the spot on my dog was right on the top of his head where he couldn't get to it.  Strangely enough, I'm not sure he even knew it was there.  Never tried to scratch at it and had no reaction at all when I examined or applied ointment.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Also be sure the Neosporin is the regular triple-antibiotic formula and NOT the pain reliever formula.  
View Quote

It's the plain old yellow tube stuff.  Not the pain reliever.  

We'll give it a week or so.  If not, then I'll try the anti-fungal stuff next.  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top