Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/25/2015 3:45:05 PM EDT
So we have two dogs, an 7/8 year old lab mix and a 5 year old beagle that get along great. Never been around a cat ever.

We just adopted a neighborhood cat (ladys step son is allergic, so they had to get rid of it), about 4 days ago. Cat is about 5 years old, but was around younger kids and dogs previously.

We keep the cat in our spare bedroom. She is friendly to the family, and will venture out to explore the house when the dogs are outside or in the living room in a crate.

The problem happens when the dogs see the cat out, they start howling, barking and generally very/overly excited. Way too much for the cat who runs back into the spare room. Not cowering under the bed but up in the window.

How can I introduce the cat to the dogs so the dogs stop freaking out everytime the cat is around? I have a crate for the dogs and the kennel for the cat if needed. Open to suggestions
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Neutral location socialization  is the answer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We dont really have any truly neutral locations in the house, dogs were here first. I guess our living room is the most neutral, dogs have the sleeping kennel on one side and the spare room is on the other.

I did just have some luck carrying the cat out while the wife was comforting the beagle. Dog saw cat and didnt start howling or freaking out for a good 10 seconds. Gave the dog a treat. I guess we'll try that with both dogs separately until they stop freaking out when they see the cat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We dont really have any truly neutral locations in the house, dogs were here first. I guess our living room is the most neutral, dogs have the sleeping kennel on one side and the spare room is on the other.

I did just have some luck carrying the cat out while the wife was comforting the beagle. Dog saw cat and didnt start howling or freaking out for a good 10 seconds. Gave the dog a treat. I guess we'll try that with both dogs separately until they stop freaking out when they see the cat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol maybe I should have explained. The whole house is not a neutral location. You need to take them to a friend's house, or a park somewhere so they can get better acquainted. The house is the dogs territory and until they accept the cat it'll stay that way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a cat about three months ago. Also have a very large mastiff who didnt get along with any animal. We kept the separated for probably 4-5 days. Dog would sleep in kids room and cat would have free range in the house at night. In morning we would put cat in a bed room only letting out when the dog was outside. Starting around day 3 we would occasionally carry cat around but not let out of our arms. Letting dog get closer but not to close. Eventually we were comfortable letting the go.

Cats are smart and quick. A lot more nimble than my mastiff which helps. he's able to hide behind just about  everything to get away.

Took a week or so but now they are best friends. The cat fucks with dog all the time. Quick attacks from behind and retreats before my dog can turn around. They play. Then pass out together.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just got a cat about three months ago. Also have a very large mastiff who didnt get along with any animal. We kept the separated for probably 4-5 days. Dog would sleep in kids room and cat would have free range in the house at night. In morning we would put cat in a bed room only letting out when the dog was outside. Starting around day 3 we would occasionally carry cat around but not let out of our arms. Letting dog get closer but not to close. Eventually we were comfortable letting the go.

Cats are smart and quick. A lot more nimble than my mastiff which helps. he's able to hide behind just about  everything to get away.

Took a week or so but now they are best friends. The cat fucks with dog all the time. Quick attacks from behind and retreats before my dog can turn around. They play. Then pass out together.
View Quote

Similar to what we've done here in the past. Some cats/dogs need a little more introductory effort, some a little less. The latest evolution was two Akitas with moderate prey drive vs. new, adult crazy cat. We let them sniff each other through a bedroom door for all of an hour before opening up access. But for the first week or so there had to be a lot of dog monitoring, some dog crating and corrections for excessive prey drive towards the cat. And we did some "forced" togetherness, too, with each dog and cat getting some forced "cuddle time" in order to desensitize the whole issue.

Now they get along great. The cat sleeps on the dog beds and the dogs defer to the cat! And the cat baits the dogs into chasing him! One of the best cats we've ever had, actually.

All that said, cats ARE prey for dogs. No matter how awesome everything seems there is always the chance to come home to a tragic mistake. This usually manifests itself in the dog being just as upset as you are and you finding a cat that is soaking wet from the dog trying to lick it back into life. Three Akitas and three cats later it's never happened to us, but it's something we always worry about in the backs of our minds.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Similar to what we've done here in the past. Some cats/dogs need a little more introductory effort, some a little less. The latest evolution was two Akitas with moderate prey drive vs. new, adult crazy cat. We let them sniff each other through a bedroom door for all of an hour before opening up access. But for the first week or so there had to be a lot of dog monitoring, some dog crating and corrections for excessive prey drive towards the cat. And we did some "forced" togetherness, too, with each dog and cat getting some forced "cuddle time" in order to desensitize the whole issue.

Now they get along great. The cat sleeps on the dog beds and the dogs defer to the cat! And the cat baits the dogs into chasing him! One of the best cats we've ever had, actually.

All that said, cats ARE prey for dogs. No matter how awesome everything seems there is always the chance to come home to a tragic mistake. This usually manifests itself in the dog being just as upset as you are and you finding a cat that is soaking wet from the dog trying to lick it back into life. Three Akitas and three cats later it's never happened to us, but it's something we always worry about in the backs of our minds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok so maybe im overthinking it and I need to let them out together more when were home. The dogs are always crated when no one is home so I'm not concerned about the dogs killing the cat when we're out. Dogs just need to get used to the cat and stop barking/howling when shes out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a reverse situation. I had two cats and brought home a full grown Great Dane.
The cats were not amused. They spent a good week hiding behind the sofa, only coming out at night or when the dog was outside.

After a couple weeks it was mostly all good. The female cat accepted the dog and would occasionally rub up against her and such.
Her brother, not so much. Every now and then he would jump up on the arm of the chair to bat the dog in the head as she passed.  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top