Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/8/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
send an im to fluffy the cat. he has all kinds of contacts because he does a ton of good stuff for dog rescues etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hummm...

I never hang around the EE much.

Are dogs commonly bought and sold on the EE?

I am NOT one of those people who consider dogs their fur-babies, but I don't consider dogs equipment either.  I'd want to know WHY someone was parting with what should be a lifetime companion.  I'd want to know why they expect money vs assurances the dog is going to a good home.  Being in a situation (say you are getting deployed) where you have to get rid of your dog happen, but IMHO these situations you do what is best for your dog, not your pocketbook.

So, when I see something up on craigslist where someone is offering their AKC whatever for $1000, it makes me think something is up, like the dog is coming from a back-yard breeder just trying to cash in on a pup that hasn't sold during the 'cute' period or someone got a dog and paid $2k then it was 'defective' in some way and now they are trying to dump it but get at least some cash back.  I'd not expect to see people selling dogs for anything over the EE, but now that I do, I think the same things as I'd think if I saw the ad on Craigslist...something isn't quite right.

Even the supposed 'rehoming fee' most people claim are to weed out craptastic humans, but the whole idea of the EE is being on arfcom the percentage of craptastic humans should be much lower than on craigslist so charging a couple hundred bucks to keep the bad folks away doesn't make as much sense.

Proceed with caution.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hummm...

I never hang around the EE much.

Are dogs commonly bought and sold on the EE?

I am NOT one of those people who consider dogs their fur-babies, but I don't consider dogs equipment either.  I'd want to know WHY someone was parting with what should be a lifetime companion.  I'd want to know why they expect money vs assurances the dog is going to a good home.  Being in a situation (say you are getting deployed) where you have to get rid of your dog happen, but IMHO these situations you do what is best for your dog, not your pocketbook.

So, when I see something up on craigslist where someone is offering their AKC whatever for $1000, it makes me think something is up, like the dog is coming from a back-yard breeder just trying to cash in on a pup that hasn't sold during the 'cute' period or someone got a dog and paid $2k then it was 'defective' in some way and now they are trying to dump it but get at least some cash back.  I'd not expect to see people selling dogs for anything over the EE, but now that I do, I think the same things as I'd think if I saw the ad on Craigslist...something isn't quite right.

Even the supposed 'rehoming fee' most people claim are to weed out craptastic humans, but the whole idea of the EE is being on arfcom the percentage of craptastic humans should be much lower than on craigslist so charging a couple hundred bucks to keep the bad folks away doesn't make as much sense.

Proceed with caution.

View Quote

Have to agree with akodo in regard to using caution when buying dogs through web ads.  Never really occurred to me either that dogs would be sold through arfcom EE.  That said, the seller is a long time member with what looks like outstanding feedback.  I'm sure he will provide more detail with a request via PM.  Good looking pup.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
oops...
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a good friend that has bought 2 dogs over the internet.   Both times it went smoothly.   He had them flown into Milwaukee and picked up the puppies there.  Both dogs are good dogs and have not had any issues.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have a good friend that has bought 2 dogs over the internet.   Both times it went smoothly.   He had them flown into Milwaukee and picked up the puppies there.  Both dogs are good dogs and have not had any issues.
View Quote
Devil is in the details.  Use the internet to find a breeder, correspond with breeder over internet, view health test over internet, decide the dog is a good fit for you and confirm purchase over internet, use internet to set up air transport, etc etc all no problem, all very ordinary.

Same thing with someone going online and searching for shelter/rescue dogs around them.  Internet is probably heavily involved in most dog sales now.

Buy a $1K+ animal off craigslist, different boat entirely. The lack of information in the typical 'for sale, dog breed X, has papers!' followed by 'I'll take him!' kind of transaction is what really gets me.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Wanted to add a couple thoughts here about transportation.  I've had this very dilemma and wound up driving to get the pup myself.  Breeder was in in S. Dakota and I'm in N. Texas.  They offered to meet me in Southern Nebraska so made it a 2 day trip, there and back, for both of us.

Anyway, this time of year is tricky.  Traveling in hot weather is risky.  REALLY do your research on the airlines.  Only a couple of the majors are known to handle live animal transport well.  Further, with a short nose dog, you may not be able to fly him anyway.  They have a much higher rate of issues than long snout dogs.  There is some reputable ground transport out there, but it takes time and can be pricey.  Also, why not find a pup closer to home?  Not exactly a rare breed.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#8]
This time of year, I don't think you are going to find any airline in DFW that will fly your pet out.  Most all have heat restrictions based on the calendar.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This time of year, I don't think you are going to find any airline in DFW that will fly your pet out.  Most all have heat restrictions based on the calendar.
View Quote

Also based on breed, and Bulldogs are on many "do not fly" lists due to their shortened airway and inherent breathing difficulty.

For what it's worth, I would not purchase a puppy via the EE. The rules of the EE are pretty strict as far as first come, first served, which would put a serious crimp in any sort of evaluation process. A breeder willing to go that route is not a breeder I would be interested in buying from.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also based on breed, and Bulldogs are on many "do not fly" lists due to their shortened airway and inherent breathing difficulty.

For what it's worth, I would not purchase a puppy via the EE. The rules of the EE are pretty strict as far as first come, first served, which would put a serious crimp in any sort of evaluation process. A breeder willing to go that route is not a breeder I would be interested in buying from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The constant breeder bashing around here gets really old after a while...

The fact that a particular breeder made you sign a 15 page contract and / or had you fill out a 20 page 'application' does not always mean they are 'good to go' or producing healthy dogs for sale. Also does not mean that they sold the dog to a 'proper' owner that is capable and / or willing to actually train and care for the dog. The fact that some breeders do not 'require' all of that garbage does NOT mean that they are inherently bad.

By 'your' standards - No breeder in their right mind should / would sell me a dog as I do NOT (and have never had) have a 'properly fenced in yard' for them to play in.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The fact that a particular breeder made you sign a 15 page contract and / or had you fill out a 20 page 'application' does not always mean they are 'good to go' or producing healthy dogs for sale. Also does not mean that they sold the dog to a 'proper' owner that is capable and / or willing to actually train and care for the dog. The fact that some breeders do not 'require' all of that garbage does NOT mean that they are inherently bad.

By 'your' standards - No breeder in their right mind should / would sell me a dog as I do NOT (and have never had) have a 'properly fenced in yard' for them to play in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not what I said at all. The breeders I've purchased from have never required that sort of stuff. What they do require is getting to know you a bit before selling you a pup, or having someone they know and trust vouch for you if you live a distance away. The very nature of the EE does not allow that sort of rapport to be developed between buyer and seller.

I simply look for red flags, and a breeder willing to sell their pup to someone they do not know on a first come, first served, no questions asked basis raises red flags.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's not what I said at all. The breeders I've purchased from have never required that sort of stuff. What they do require is getting to know you a bit before selling you a pup, or having someone they know and trust vouch for you if you live a distance away. The very nature of the EE does not allow that sort of rapport to be developed between buyer and seller.

I simply look for red flags, and a breeder willing to sell their pup to someone they do not know on a first come, first served, no questions asked basis raises red flags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the misunderstanding then...
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#13]
OP, as many have advised do not fly a bulldog they travel poorly heat stress handling and breathing in general in warm  climates or time of year. Please inspect and transport your Bully in person.
If that is not feasible, find a bulldog where and when you can do it.
You may be well served by getting advice from a local Bulldog Club (English). Best of luck they are a great breed.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top