Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2015 8:21:29 PM EDT
I'm going to do my own research from here on out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of NM? It makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of NM? It makes a big difference.
View Quote

Albuquerque
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Edit: Not GD ...

But, really, that's what fur is for.

Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#4]
We go down to -10*F with snow.  None of the dogs get coats or boots, but they don't live outside 24/7 either.  Our female has short hair, when it's super cold - like below 25*F or nasty cold/rain - she only goes out long enough to do her business and then comes right back in.  The other two males will just flop down in the snow, they have thick long coats so they love it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Do nothing and don't worry about it is my useful advice.  The dog will adapt and be fine.  Most people that put clothing and boots on their dogs have no idea what they are doing.  The dog doesn't want or need to wear them.

We hunt dogs, including German Shorthair Pointers, Weimereiners, and Viszlas in below zero weather.  They only get boots if the terrain is beating up their paws.

If the dog is an outside dog, make sure they have shelter.  Somewhere small enough their body heat can warm it and out of the wind.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, over thinking it. Your dog is more ready for winter than you are . Just play it by ear and you and your pup will be fine. At the end of the day some dogs might benefit from stuff like booties and coats but most don't.

Eta: the above assumes your dog lives indoors with you...does he?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, over thinking it. Your dog is more ready for winter than you are
View Quote

This. Short and simple.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm from MN, I concur, do nothing.

Thick coats of fur are needed for arctic cold, or, for short haired breeds, artificial coats are needed for the arctic cold.

For 'average' cold, unless you dog is hairless and/or tiny, it will NOT be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm from MN, I concur, do nothing.

Thick coats of fur are needed for arctic cold, or, for short haired breeds, artificial coats are needed for the arctic cold.

For 'average' cold, unless you dog is hairless and/or tiny, it will NOT be a problem.
View Quote

It's always good to be careful and ask. Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep, over thinking it. Your dog is more ready for winter than you are . Just play it by ear and you and your pup will be fine. At the end of the day some dogs might benefit from stuff like booties and coats but most don't.

Eta: the above assumes your dog lives indoors with you...does he?
View Quote

Yes my dog lives indoors but she tends to get cold rather quickly despite being a medium sized dog.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Will be fine!  Just use common sense....you are not moving to the Yukon  

Working  mid December in VT

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the very few kinds of dogs that need a shirt and not just in winter. My niece and nephews Chinese Crested.

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#14]
On that note....greyhounds and whippets don't have much for fur coverage, but seems to be enough to keep this pair warm enough

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On that note....greyhounds and whippets don't have much for fur coverage, but seems to be enough to keep this pair warm enough

http://youtu.be/pvBbfzOvKP8

View Quote

These guys seems to be a bit bulkier than their normal breed standard. However, dogs adapt very well!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Indoor dog or outdoor?

Freezing temps is nothing for most dogs, even the short haired ones.  Just pay attention to your dog's behavior.  Holding up a paw while walking mostly likely means he's got some ice/snow balled up between his toes or the paw is getting numb from the cold.   So check for ice build up, knock em out of his feet, and maybe head back inside.

I wouldn't worry about a coat for him unless you were planning on him being in the cold and rain for hours at a time.  Boots might be a good idea if you're hiking him through snow all day.

My last pup was a Chow-Alaskan Eskimo mix so winters weren't that big a deal for her.  If I let her out in the snow, she wouldn't want to come back inside.  Heck, she liked to curl up in snow drift and sleep.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#17]
It gets a lot colder than that here in Idaho. My short coated dog gets along fine. He even plays in the snow without any boots or jackets. Good on you for thinking about your dogs welfare. As for you, I suggest getting used to jeans and buying a nice jacket or two that you like.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It gets a lot colder than that here in Idaho. My short coated dog gets along fine. He even plays in the snow without any boots or jackets. Good on you for thinking about your dogs welfare. As for you, I suggest getting used to jeans and buying a nice jacket or two that you like.
View Quote

That's for sure! I'm definitely going to be stocking up on winter clothes before moving. I have none other than light hoodies for those rare cold days in Florida.

I'm curious as to how my dog will react to the snow. That'll be the fun part!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

Freezing temps is nothing for most dogs, even the short haired ones.  Just pay attention to your dog's behavior.  Holding up a paw while walking mostly likely means he's got some ice/snow balled up between his toes or the paw is getting numb from the cold.   So check for ice build up, knock em out of his feet, and maybe head back inside.

I wouldn't worry about a coat for him unless you were planning on him being in the cold and rain for hours at a time.  Boots might be a good idea if you're hiking him through snow all day.

My last pup was a Chow-Alaskan Eskimo mix so winters weren't that big a deal for her.  If I let her out in the snow, she wouldn't want to come back inside.  Heck, she liked to curl up in snow drift and sleep.  
View Quote

She's an indoor dog but I do plan on taking her on trails with me once she gets used to the big altitude difference.

Boots will be a good investment for such a thing. If you have any suggestions for boots let me know!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

She's an indoor dog but I do plan on taking her on trails with me once she gets used to the big altitude difference.

Boots will be a good investment for such a thing. If you have any suggestions for boots let me know!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

I never bought boots for any of my dogs.  So the only suggestions I have are to read reviews online, and buy them now so you can start the fight of getting your dog used to wearing them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd greatly appreciate USEFUL advice.

The keyword here is "USEFUL" for those of you who didn't understand that.
View Quote

Sorry Edgy, it's just that what you are describing just really isn't "winter", at least not as some of us know winter.

Up here we race iceboats on frozen lakes for fun when it gets cold.

And I mean REALLY cold!

And yes, we do bring short haired dogs...

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#22]
They will love winter.
Most dogs like playing in the cold. They don't overheat.

Buy yourself warm clothes and take the dogs out in it and they will be thankful.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indoor dog or outdoor?

again, here in MN, had outdoor farm dogs who put on a lot of miles, never needed doggie boots.  Concrete and asphalt are harder on a dog's foot than snow and ice are.  Unless you are hiking trails where in the SUMMER you'd need to boot up your dog, you'd not need to boot up your dog in the winter.

Additionally, you are moving to New Mexico. Unless you are moving way up into the mountains, snow is going to be extremely rare.   Yes, you may need to buy a jacket a little bit thicker than your hoodie, and a hat and pair of gloves, but you'll probably use them only 2 or 3 times a year.  You aren't moving where winter should be any concern.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

again, here in MN, had outdoor farm dogs who put on a lot of miles, never needed doggie boots.  Concrete and asphalt are harder on a dog's foot than snow and ice are.  Unless you are hiking trails where in the SUMMER you'd need to boot up your dog, you'd not need to boot up your dog in the winter.

Additionally, you are moving to New Mexico. Unless you are moving way up into the mountains, snow is going to be extremely rare.   Yes, you may need to buy a jacket a little bit thicker than your hoodie, and a hat and pair of gloves, but you'll probably use them only 2 or 3 times a year.  You aren't moving where winter should be any concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

Well I will be in the mountains and where I will be living is known to have a good bit of snow fall. My dog's paw pads are still cracked, rough, and show quite a bit of wear & tear from her previous owner who fostered her.

She was always outside and was always on hot, rough asphalt and rocks. She was never on grass for the time she was being fostered. So her paws are my concern despite what you say.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I never bought boots for any of my dogs.  So the only suggestions I have are to read reviews online, and buy them now so you can start the fight of getting your dog used to wearing them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

And get lots of spare boots if you go this route.  I've used several brands on my GWP and the only ones that stay on are ultrapaws.  I only use them because the dog tears up her feet on the different grass at a couple of our hunting spots.  The pads are fine, but the tops, sides, and cuticles are torn up.  What I do now is duct tape a baby sized sock on her foot and ankle, then put the boots over the top and duct tape the velco so it doesn't snag.  The baby sock is because the little bit of slop in the boot abraids the tops and sides of her feet.  I hate putting them on her, she doesn't like them and has notably worse traction.  It is a huge PITA to get her booted up.

None of it is for the cold.  I would see how the dog does before going with boots.  Also consider tuf-foot oil for the dog.  It is supposed to toughen up the pads over time.  http://www.gundogsupply.com/7-95.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And get lots of spare boots if you go this route.  I've used several brands on my GWP and the only ones that stay on are ultrapaws.  I only use them because the dog tears up her feet on the different grass at a couple of our hunting spots.  The pads are fine, but the tops, sides, and cuticles are torn up.  What I do now is duct tape a baby sized sock on her foot and ankle, then put the boots over the top and duct tape the velco so it doesn't snag.  The baby sock is because the little bit of slop in the boot abraids the tops and sides of her feet.  I hate putting them on her, she doesn't like them and has notably worse traction.  It is a huge PITA to get her booted up.

None of it is for the cold.  I would see how the dog does before going with boots.  Also consider tuf-foot oil for the dog.  It is supposed to toughen up the pads over time.  http://www.gundogsupply.com/7-95.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

Thanks for the advice and recommendations! I've just recently looked into Musher's Secret and I'll be buying some ASAP. The tuf-foot oil looks interesting and useful. I'll definitely keep it in mind!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Well I will be in the mountains and where I will be living is known to have a good bit of snow fall. My dog's paw pads are still cracked, rough, and show quite a bit of wear & tear from her previous owner who fostered her.

She was always outside and was always on hot, rough asphalt and rocks. She was never on grass for the time she was being fostered. So her paws are my concern despite what you say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Indoor dog or outdoor?

You are TOTALLY OVERTHINKING THIS

Again, if you are in a situation where in the SUMMER you need boots for your dog, then you need boots for your dog.  Needing boots is mainly related to the surfaces the dog is running on, not a cold weather thing.

Mushers put boots on their dogs but this is related the the fact that trails are often covered in hard ice, plus the fact they are running many miles a day pulling a load, it's not something they are putting on their dogs just because it is winter.  if your dog has torn up pads, deal with that regardless of how cold or warm your next home will be.

Yup,  there will be snow in the mountains during winter even in New Mexico.  Aside from the thinner air, you are still dealing with the same level of cold you'd find in an Iowa or Connecticut.  

And remember, we are talking about a few very specific areas of New Mexico, the higher mountain areas, not the lower mountain areas.  You are going to have to put effort into searching out true cold conditions in New Mexico.  It's like you are going to a trip to Hawaii, yes, there has been a record cold of 10' F above zero, which absolutely counts as cold, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd be packing Shorts, T-shirts, and Sandals for at trip to Hawaii where the winters average 65 degrees.

New Mexico average winter temp is 36 (compare to Maine at 18, Minnesota at 12,  Alaska at 2)  The 36 is the state's average, looking at both mountain and plain temperatures combined.  So even taking that average and dropping it by 5 or so degrees, you are talking Kansas Cold, not Alaska Cold.

To reiterate, if her paws need help then get on that.  Sounds like you have been letting your dog down honestly.  Hot asphalt is going to be much worse on pads than running on snow.  If boots are called for, it sounds like you should be getting them for your current conditions and not for the 'cold weather' you think you will be facing.  Boots aren't for cold, they are for surfaces that tear up pads regardless of temperature.  

Get boots for your dog if his feet need it based on looking at his pads, not looking at the thermometer.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#29]
in the 40s is something to worry about ? id say thats a leave the window open for fresh air and maybe use a comforter instead of a blanket night.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Again, if you are in a situation where in the SUMMER you need boots for your dog, then you need boots for your dog.  Needing boots is mainly related to the surfaces the dog is running on, not a cold weather thing.

Mushers put boots on their dogs but this is related the the fact that trails are often covered in hard ice, plus the fact they are running many miles a day pulling a load, it's not something they are putting on their dogs just because it is winter.  if your dog has torn up pads, deal with that regardless of how cold or warm your next home will be.

Yup,  there will be snow in the mountains during winter even in New Mexico.  Aside from the thinner air, you are still dealing with the same level of cold you'd find in an Iowa or Connecticut.  

And remember, we are talking about a few very specific areas of New Mexico, the higher mountain areas, not the lower mountain areas.  You are going to have to put effort into searching out true cold conditions in New Mexico.  It's like you are going to a trip to Hawaii, yes, there has been a record cold of 10' F above zero, which absolutely counts as cold, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd be packing Shorts, T-shirts, and Sandals for at trip to Hawaii where the winters average 65 degrees.

New Mexico average winter temp is 36 (compare to Maine at 18, Minnesota at 12,  Alaska at 2)  The 36 is the state's average, looking at both mountain and plain temperatures combined.  So even taking that average and dropping it by 5 or so degrees, you are talking Kansas Cold, not Alaska Cold.

To reiterate, if her paws need help then get on that.  Sounds like you have been letting your dog down honestly.  Hot asphalt is going to be much worse on pads than running on snow.  If boots are called for, it sounds like you should be getting them for your current conditions and not for the 'cold weather' you think you will be facing.  Boots aren't for cold, they are for surfaces that tear up pads regardless of temperature.  

Get boots for your dog if his feet need it based on looking at his pads, not looking at the thermometer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Indoor dog or outdoor?

Overthinking? No. I'm just considering the well-being of my dog. Thanks for your input but I'm doing my own research from now on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Wow, so everyone tells you that if your dog needs boots to get them, but that your dog will mostly likely be fine. Obviously that is not what you want to hear.
I live in WI, one of those states where we get lots of snow and cold weather, and my dogs are loved like they are my children.
Your dogs will be ok.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wow, so everyone tells you that if your dog needs boots to get them, but that your dog will mostly likely be fine. Obviously that is not what you want to hear.

I live in WI, one of those states where we get lots of snow and cold weather, and my dogs are loved like they are my children.

Your dogs will be ok.
View Quote

OP has clearly stepped aside from reason and is running some fantasy of prepping for arctic conditions in his mind's eye and we will not dissuade him of that fantasy.  

But that's okay, we humans are emotional creatures who at best have a thin veneer of logic over it all.  Plenty here with our ammo forts and 2 year supply of MREs and plans for escaping FEMA camps who are also churning away at a fantasy world in our own minds.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top