Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 5/11/2015 12:20:17 PM EDT
O'Ryan, the German Shepherd I got out of an shelter up in Memphis one year ago this month had two seizures last night.  Both were preceded by vomiting up the yellow, egg yolk consistency material.  The seizures weren't the shaking uncontrollably type but rather the frozen in awkward position (both paws about the head) and the eyes rolled down.   He seemed fine late last night and this morning.  He's at the vet now getting checked out.  Guy's about 6 years old.  I grew up with a boxer that had  epilepsy but this was different.

O'Ryan playing "Whack-a-Mole" with the other pups.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#1]
we had 3 goldens that suffered from seizures, I damn near got killed by my wife's driving when the first one had her first one. She called they vet and the said get her here quick and that is not something you say to a woman driving a 5.0 mustang HO. she did like 70 down the driveway  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my GSD on seizure meds for a few years now. Oddly enough in the Memphis area. Costs a bunch of money and always testing and screwing with the dosage and meds.

It'll get her eventually but until then she's a happy girl.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Our oldest male GSD had seizures for a while.  He was on phenobarbitol for them, and once had a bad "cluster seizure" incident where he had to be taken to the emergency vet due to dehydration and given some powerful sedatives to bring him out of it.

After a while we transitioned him from the pheno to potassium bromide, it controlled his seizing just as well but he wasn't nearly as "drunk" on it.  After about three years he stopped seizing, with the vet's blessing we weaned him off the meds, and he's been fine ever since.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
They kept him overnight.  Pretty much for observation.  No more seizures.  Vet did tell me to change his diet a little.  Less protein.   Over all, told me his blood work looked pretty good and I should be able to pick him up today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Geeze man, good luck with him.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top