Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2015 11:05:31 AM EDT
I have a grown German Shepherd and a Malinois pup that I would like to play more scent games with to keep them entertained and mentally stimulated.

I have bought several books on raising these dogs and while all of them mention scent games, they don't go into any details.

We bought a couple of treat puzzles at the pet store, but they are too simple and they mastered them in minutes.

Please suggest any games or training tips for utilizing their amazing noses to keep them happy, challenged, and entertained.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
see if they can master getting all of the peanut butter out of a kong in under 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I hide my shepherds favorite toy in random places then have him look for it.
Only issue I've had doing this, is he lost his ball one day. I came home to a destroyed house. He had all the hiding spots wrecked. Only thing I could figure was he was searching for his ball.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Use road cones and place them on the ground. Put a treat in one of them. Once the pup figures to use his nose you just go from there. Scent boxes and other toys are awesome. I'll post a video of a toy I just made for my mal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
For got that photobucket hates videos. here it is in construction phase. Put treat in pvc and the dog has to spin
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Dash.

I had seen a similar toy made with 2 liter Coke bottles and am going to make one.

I also read at the link below about using a treat in a pile of cardboard boxes, and am going to start teaching the "find it" command.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/getting-started-nose-work

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the dog a retriever?  To get my German Wirehair Pointer to range farther when hunting dead, I would make her lie down where she couldn't see me, then throw a tennis ball with a chuck it thrower as far as I could in a random direction including across a body of water.  I'd make sure to give in kind of a grounder trajectory to help built up a scent cone.  Then give the dog the dead bird command, that would keep her going for 15 minutes plus searching.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Dash.

I had seen a similar toy made with 2 liter Coke bottles and am going to make one.

I also read at the link below about using a treat in a pile of cardboard boxes, and am going to start teaching the "find it" command.

View Quote

That was where I got the idea but after seeing what she does to bottles I figured schedule 40 made more sense.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That was where I got the idea but after seeing what she does to bottles I figured schedule 40 made more sense.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Dash.

I've seen one in use, and sighthounds (greyhounds, etc.) would get more out of using clear coke-type bottles, than an opaque container. ... and then they would go and take a long nap on the couch...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Train them in tracking and search and rescue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So you put a treat in one of the tubes and let the dog find the right tube?

Do you stay that basic or are there ways to make it more difficult?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For got that photobucket hates videos. here it is in construction phase. Put treat in pvc and the dog has to spin http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/dasharfcom/Mobile%20Uploads/69C7B6D1-DE72-4ACE-A1F0-90E15BD0BB02_zpscydbb5di.jpg

So you put a treat in one of the tubes and let the dog find the right tube?

Do you stay that basic or are there ways to make it more difficult?

It depends. Sometimes I'll put a bunch of tiny treats in all of the tubes and they'll fly everywhere or I'll just randomly leave one in one tube. It's mostly just for fun. The search work is usually done away from home where there aren't distractions.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll take a bone on a string and ruin it around the yard while the dog is inside.
Amazing how quick he picks up on the scent and finds it.

Also do this with him while we're out in the desert, boy has a nose!
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top