Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2015 10:24:29 PM EDT
He's a Eurasian Eagle Owl and I got him from a breeder out in Oregon.

He will be on a flight out Monday and get her Monday evening.

I lost my beloved Nigel my Tawny Owl back in February to old age.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your new buddy! I've never known anyone that's kept a pet owl before. Do you hunt with them, like a falconer, or are they strictly pets?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on your new buddy! I've never known anyone that's kept a pet owl before. Do you hunt with them, like a falconer, or are they strictly pets?
View Quote

This. I had to Google it to get a photo of the grown version, kind of like a Great Horned Owl. Tell us more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I work at a center for birds of prey.

He is going to be a program bird that we are going to imprint and socialize with people.

I will be doing programs where you can hold him and have your picture taken for a donation.

It's how I generate revenue for the center.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool. That takes a lot of dedication. Mad props to you for the work you do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#5]
What are the stipulations for owning them?  Can anyone own a owl?.  What about raptors?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
An owl is a raptor.

To own an owl or any other bird of prey, it must not be on the MBTA/CITES list and you must posses the proper wild animal and raptor permits.

The new baby is considered an exotic and not a protected species migratory bird.

However, he is still a raptor and falls under falconry rules of federal husbandry requirements.

Because he is considered an exotic, like a parrot, the public is allowed to handle him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is me working with my beloved Nigel. Children are my favorite as I can influence them to appreciate my owly friends.

And the second picture is a woman who was surprised by her friends granting her dream of actually getting to pet a real owl.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Those are really cool!

The small school that my children attend has an owl (not a real one) as their mascot for the school.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#9]
AWESOME!!! I love raptors, especially owls.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a name picked out?  Very cool.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
AWESOME!!! I love raptors, especially owls.
View Quote

Same here.

My work routes in Northern Virginia have a huge amount of hawks and vultures.

I see some huge eagles from time to time.

Everytime you see vultures feeding, you will see the hawks sitting and waiting for their turn.

Owls are my favorite, but they are very hard to spot.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#13]
They are 180º different from parrots.

My cockatoo loves to be cuddled and is a flocking bird.

An owl is like owning a sociopath. Kinda like a cat with feathers.

A feathery cat that can kill you and will absolutely eat your other pets without remorse.

They will have their "favorite" person and act accordingly.

You can check out Xena The Owl on Facebook to see someone else with one like mine coming in tonight. Xena is a three year old mature hen that lives at a rehab center.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Well they're social on my hilltop.  Last night the local owls were hooting on 3 sides of my bedroom at about 1230am.  

They'll wake me up and I'll grin and go back to sleep.  They're pretty cool birds.    This Spring seemed pretty tough on them.  Had several along the roads dead that got clipped by cars most likely.  

I've brought a couple injured ones in for rehab through the years.   Sometimes if they can't fly again they'll end up in an outreach program like yours.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine's feeties will be as big as your hands.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Last spring we had a HUGE owl pellet left on our back deck. Saw more owls this last fall/winter than I have in my life for some reason. Now this spring we have a huge problem with voles in our lawn so I'm hoping the owls take care of them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Three or four years ago when the kids and their families were over for dinner my son in law stepped outside for a smoke.  He glanced over to the window box just outside the kitchen window and there was a pygmy owl sitting on the the window box not 3' from him.  He hung around for a few days, I haven't seen the little feller since, though I hope he's still around somewhere.    Have a video clip of him somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know if I can buy barn owls to populate my property with?  I've had owl boxes up with the hope of attracting some, but no luck yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Should be good on rabbits , crows , squirrels and misc . game
Such a waste just for show and tell
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Very neat. I enjoyed the part about owls in the documentary Raptor Force.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Cool! I love watching the owls fly around chasing mice and rabbits while I'm out NV hog hunting. I don't think they realize that I can see them as good as they can see me! Such awesome birds.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#23]
He got in at just after 1:00AM.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#24]
My what big talons you have!

Awesome, hope he/she flourishes in the new home.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Do you have to clip owl talons?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes, he will be blunted to protect the public.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
As I was driving out of my neighborhood this morning to work I saw an owl caring a pray item couldn't tell exactly what it was,  but it flew low across the road in front of me .
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#29]
The muppet is all tuckered out now. He's had a very eventful last 24 hours.

Sleep well baby bird.

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#30]
lol OMG HE'S SO CUTE!

ahem, anyways...

A, is there a name yet,

2, when you train owls to be around humans, does it change their sleep cycle to being active during the day and sleep at night or is that hardwired in and unchangeable?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]
No name yet. I just call him muppet.

Eurasian Eagle Owls are pretty much diurnal/nocturnal and can be crepuscular.

He will pretty much be on his own time, but from just before noon to maybe early evening is when our programs are.

Our Great Horned Owl is very old and will just fall over and start snoring now in the middle of a program.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#32]
How are they during mating season?  I read somewhere they get pretty crazy around that time of year.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How are they during mating season?  I read somewhere they get pretty crazy around that time of year.
View Quote

An Eagle Owl hen can hurt you really badly, it's why we got a male.

Anyways here's what to expect from the male. This is our GHO, Sammy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b26CoHspew

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

No name yet. I just call him muppet.

Eurasian Eagle Owls are pretty much diurnal/nocturnal and can be crepuscular.

He will pretty much be on his own time, but from just before noon to maybe early evening is when our programs are.

Our Great Horned Owl is very old and will just fall over and start snoring now in the middle of a program.
View Quote
Hey, cool I had a bio anth class last quarter and know what that means without google!
(I feel the smarts)
When I asked a gal I know why owls are such a popular thing in tattoo's and and art among the mid 25- early 30 demographic she said "Duh, they are like flying cats".  

They pretty much are huh?

eta- I mean abstractly/ in generalities.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#35]
The genus Bubo are referred to as flying tigers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#36]
We kept a Great Horned owl as a pet when I was a kid.  He fell out of his nest as a baby.  When I say pet, he wasn't really a pet.  If you pet him I think he would have done whatever he could to kill you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The genus Bubo are referred to as flying tigers.
View Quote
LOL neat.

More pics!

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Should be good on rabbits , crows , squirrels and misc . game
Such a waste just for show and tell
View Quote

This member is a serious falconer.  His birds must have bloody beaks.

Ducks and rabbits in the state of Texas have a DOA wanted poster with his picture on it.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#39]
W e get broken falconry birds in all the time.

Fractures, imping, and the last one the falconer allowed his Harris Hawk take a sick crow. Instead of exchanging, he allowed the hawk to eat the kill.

The crow had west nile virus and the results proved fatal for the poor hawk. He died a horrible death.

I'll stick to my wasteful show and tell with the children.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I found an owl once.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
W e get broken falconry birds in all the time.

Fractures, imping, and the last one the falconer allowed his Harris Hawk take a sick crow. Instead of exchanging, he allowed the hawk to eat the kill.

The crow had west nile virus and the results proved fatal for the poor hawk. He died a horrible death.

I'll stick to my wasteful show and tell with the children.
View Quote

Horrible death as a result of doing what nature intended.  Horrible life...possibly being cooped up, spoon fed and petted by school kids for a lifetime.

Falconers I know maintain superior examples of the species, healthy thoroughbred birds with fierce instincts to hunt.  The amazing part of it is the falconer's ability to care for the birds, keep them just on the edge of wild and train them to enjoy the hunt and kill, while taking their human keeper for the ride, so to speak.  I completely understand the intense rush experienced when a raptor, possibly natures most skilled and beautiful hunter/killer, shares the experience.  You know they're sharing because they come back when they don't have to.  And sometimes they decide it's time to go, and they don't.

Don't get me wrong.  Not at all minimizing your efforts with the birds.  I think you just picked a bad example for a reason not to fly and hunt.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#42]
What was with the ubiquitous macrame owls of the 1970s?

Anyway I still associate owls with Tootsie Roll pops.

One..two...three...CRUNCH.

Enjoy your new feathered friend!
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Mars, how is Muppet doing? Any new pics?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Oh yeah!

He had his debut this Saturday! He was a huge hit and Marzy got to meet lots of MILF's.

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh yeah!

He had his debut this Saturday! He was a huge hit and Marzy got to meet lots of MILF's.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/R_Tison/HawkTalk/meandmuppet_zps685ndm8n.jpg
View Quote

I don't know if I'm saying this right but it appears there is some big bird feathers coming in. Molting?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah, his feathers are coming in, but he is losing his chick down.

Not really molting.

His primaries should be over 12" long when they come in!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#47]
He has transitioned from Muppet stage to Owl Pal.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
He has transitioned from Muppet stage to Owl Pal.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/R_Tison/HawkTalk/owlpal_zpswmrdilyt.jpg
View Quote

Those talons!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did that owl have sex with your hat?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh yeah!

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/R_Tison/HawkTalk/meandmuppet_zps685ndm8n.jpg
View Quote

Is he cuddly?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top