Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/24/2015 2:22:43 PM EDT
First let me start of saying there is a reason I am posting this in PETS and not GD.  

2nd TL;DR neighbors dog bit my g/f again and caused my dogs to fight and 1 dog got it pretty bad

In my neighborhood pretty much all of us own some type of pit. myself i have 4 dogs, each are some kind of pit mix.  neighbor next door has 3 dogs, and each is some kind of pit mix as well.  we all get along neighbor wise and dog wise.  Well about 3 weeks ago their male dog started to try and jump the 6' brick wall that separates my neighbors and myself(their other 2 dogs are indoor dogs) .  He is prob around 70-75 lbs and he can get his front legs/head over but cant get "over"  atleast not yet.  but he can hang on the wall with his front feet holding him up.  We didnt think anything of it cause their dog is usually friendly and we would just say "petey get down" and he would.  well a week later he jumped up while my dogs were out back and it made my dogs go nuts.  I was at work but my g/f was over.  she said My youngest male tried to jump up after him and their dog tried to bite towards my youngest (and missed by a long shot) but she got a broom and tried to push his paws off the brick, when that didnt work she tried to push his his paws off and he nipped her.  left a few marks but never broke the skin. But that made my 2 males fight each other.  nothing bad, youngest got 1 small puncture mark but that was about it.   We went and talked to the neighbor later that day, they were sorry and said they would make sure to keep an eye on him.

Well 2 weeks go by and if anything he's jumping the fence even more now to the point that when ever we let the dogs out to go potty, we have to stand by the fence area petey likes to jump at incase he is outside.  and when he does, usually the broom handle to his feet is enough to make him fall off.  Its also cause a few of the bricks in the wall to becomes really loose.  so i talked with the neighbors again and suggested we just add 1 more layer of brick to the wall we share, and they said that would work and they even have a family member who does masonry.  perfect!  well its been 2 weeks, i even bought the brick/mortar myself (rather have it done than worry about whos paying what) but havent talked to the neighbors yet.  

Last night i was at work and the g/f calls me out of breath and freaking out.  apparently petey jumped the wall again but this time he got his whole front 1/2 over the wall.  She had just let all the dogs out to go potty and my youngest female (pit / boston mix, about 15 lbs) tried to jump up towards Petey and petey actually got ahold of her throat/collar (she has a scrape on her left cheek and a small hole on her throat, not a tooth puncture though).  The g/f was freaking out (shes pretty attached to this 1) and took the broom to peteys head and started to hit him hard with it and he still wasnt letting go. According to my g/f he was almost able to drag her over the wall with him.  Well the Broom actually broke and part of it  is in their yard she was hiting him so hard.   so she freaked out some more and started to punch petey in the face.  well 1 of those punches he let go of the dog but bit my g/f pretty decent. she had 2 small punches on her wrist but she said it hurt more cause he got right on the bone and it swelled up. As of this morning the swelling is gone and the punctures are almost gone.  Well after that was over, but cause all the dogs were out (they were barking at petey while this was going on) all that energy got them assed up and my youngest male (3 y/o 80-85 lbs) and oldest female (4 y/o 60-65) attacked my oldest male (10 y/o 35-40lbs) and got him pretty good. (15-20 punctures to his head/neck and 1 really bad bite to his rear leg).  g/f said she was able to get the youngest male off but my female was still going at it and she was able to get the hose and spray her down which made her stop.   The oldest female got a few bite marks on her as well as the youngest male but 2 on 1, my oldest male (who actually knows how to fight somehow) didnt stand a chance.

once she got them done fighting she got the older male and started to look him over and called me.  When i answered i thought she was chocking or something cause she was so short of breath.  once i got her calmed down and she told me what happened i said if b home as soon as i can and i called a friend who lived near by and asked him to check in on her just incase.  I got home and after about an hour she was finally calm enough to breath right again.  I cleaned up my male as best i could and shaved all the spots that had bite marks.  We just got back from the vet and for the most par the dog is fine.  vet only had to clean out 4 holes and re-wrap his rear leg.  got some pain meds and we were done (bill was only $170, kinda surprising) .  

Now i think about it, i prob should have talked to the neighbors last night (it was around 9pm when i got home) but after i got home, got the g/f calmed down and dogs cleaned up it was around 11 or midnight. They are not home now and i work 2nd shift so im hoping to catch 1 of them but no such luck yet.  I went over once and rang the door bell but no answer.  they usually have 3 cars in the drive way and all 3 r gone.  I told my g/f if she feels comfortable talking to them about it, if they get home after i leave she can but if not i will try to get ahold of them.  My question is this, should i just start adding the next layer to the wall without "telling" them?  anything specific I should say to them when i speak to them?  **  I am going to tell them that if it happens again and their dog bites my g/f or me i will report them **

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Your fence is inadequate and the dogs don't respect it.  Run a hot wire across the top to keep your dogs and your neighbor's dog on their respective sides.  Put a line down low to stop them from digging, because that will be their next attempt to get at each other.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
my dogs could really care less about the fence. they never had any issues till the neighbors dog started jumping on it and the only time the even "look" at the fence is when the neighbors dog has jumped on it/hanging on it. I thought about putting some nails or something sharp on my side of the wall and see if that stops it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my dogs could really care less about the fence. they never had any issues till the neighbors dog started jumping on it and the only time the even "look" at the fence is when the neighbors dog has jumped on it/hanging on it. I thought about putting some nails or something sharp on my side of the wall and see if that stops it.
View Quote

Bad idea, you don't want to pay vet bills on the puncture wounds for your neighbor's dog and end up with an animal cruelty charge on top of it.  A hot wire is cheap and humane.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bad idea, you don't want to pay vet bills on the puncture wounds for your neighbor's dog and end up with an animal cruelty charge on top of it.  A hot wire is cheap and humane.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, that was my 2nd thought about the idea.    is it the same even if I put those pigeon spikes things up on my side of the fence?  Cause now I got 1 dog that their dog bit and my gf's hand it bit again
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top