Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/23/2015 6:12:08 PM EDT
Our family canine member is an 8 yo Lab mix.  She had a mass removed from her shoulder today.  The Doc called it a Mast Cell Tumor.  It was approx golf  ball-size, but appeared to be spreading, so a pretty extensive incision had to be made.
I almost cried when I saw how big the incision was.  
BD

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No need to worry, brother. Labs are tough!

My dad's lab is 10-11? and just had a huge tumor pulled off his liver. Major incision, medications, cone on his head.. all that shit.

Couple weeks later he was back to his normal, fun self.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, BD, that's double tough!

I know just how you feel. When my last dog got lymphoma I had to literally hide from her for two days so she wouldn't see me crying, no joke. But two rounds of chemo later she beat that cancer!

So hang tight, my friend, me and the idiot dogs are pulling for you and the pup!

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
She reminds me of our 10 month old lab mix, Maggie.
Keep us posted. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys!  It means a lot.  

What a difference a day makes!  I spent the night sleeping on the couch downstairs in our home so she wouldn't try to walk up the stairs where all our bedrooms are.  Took a vacation day to stay home with her today.  She's back to almost her pre-surgery mobility.  Not much appetite yet, but very encouraging.  She still looks like hell with the stitches, staples and incision that looks like a rouge Samurai seamstress got a hold of her, but she wagged her tail when the kids came down this morning to leave for school.  Still waiting for histopathology test of the tumor, due back in a week to 10 days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck with the pup BD!

Drake's pulling for her.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
***UPDATE***
The Vet called yesterday with the results from the histopathology test of the tumor.  It definitely was a Mast Cell Tumor, Stage 1.  No apparent lymph node involvement, and the Doc is confident he got all of the tumor.

Sophie gets her stitches and staples removed this afternoon and acts as if this never happened.  Amazing recovery from a pretty serious surgery.
Thanks again for all the well wishes.  
BD
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Hooray! Best possible outcome!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm late to the party but that's great news.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.dogcancerblog.com/blog/why-benadryl-for-mast-cell-tumors/

BENADRYL for mast cell tumors.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top