Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/19/2015 7:29:50 AM EDT
This morning I have to tell my grandson that we have to have his dog put to sleep. The young man has never lost a pet, or anyone close. Gus has been with Austin since Austin was 4, and Aus, my grandson is now 18. Any advice? I really don't want to do this, but it is necessary.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
At age 18 he is old enough to know the score.  Just tell him the dog is suffering and it is time to put him down.  Not easy, but that is life.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:54:49 AM EDT
[#2]
What Skunkeye said. It will hurt, but losing a dog is never easy, and he is well old enough to understand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#3]
With an 18 year old, it is my opinion that an incredibly valuable life lesson is here for the taking.  I suggest that you and your grandson be with Gus as he passes.  Not going to be easy, but life is not easy or forgiving.  I would do everything possible to make this happen and it will be one of the greatest life lessons your grandson will ever receive.  It's the right thing to do for Gus as well.  This is the price we pay for the unconditional love and dedication our dogs offer us.  A healthy mortality reminder is not a bad thing for us humans either.

ETA: Just realized my advice may be a little late.  Either way, hope it went okay.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With an 18 year old, it is my opinion that an incredibly valuable life lesson is here for the taking.  I suggest that you and your grandson be with Gus as he passes.  Not going to be easy, but life is not easy or forgiving.  I would do everything possible to make this happen and it will be one of the greatest life lessons your grandson will ever receive.  It's the right thing to do for Gus as well.  This is the price we pay for the unconditional love and dedication our dogs offer us.  A healthy mortality reminder is not a bad thing for us humans either.

ETA: Just realized my advice may be a little late.  Either way, hope it went okay.
View Quote

Yes, maybe too late, but sound, solid advice either way. We all (those of us that love and own dogs) experience that sadness at the loss of a good dog the first time in our lives, it is not fair, but it is the price we pay for the bargain we strike, from the day we pick out a name for them, and put that first bowl of food and water down for our new buddy...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top