Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/1/2015 11:45:49 PM EDT
I have a Corgi and she farts all the time.  Especially noticeable in the evening.  I bring her out for walks as I've read it could be caused from gas build up from inactivity.  This doesn't seem to help.  

Her dog food is currently Canidae All Life Stages.  When she was a puppy we put her on Blue Buffalo but she got diarrhea from it so we switched her to Canidae.  The vet said it was from eating people food so we have her on a pretty strict diet of only eating her own food.  Thinking I might try switching her dog foods again but wanted to get some input before I made a change.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Corgi and she farts all the time.  Especially noticeable in the evening.  I bring her out for walks as I've read it could be caused from gas build up from inactivity.  This doesn't seem to help.  

Her dog food is currently Canidae All Life Stages.  When she was a puppy we put her on Blue Buffalo but she got diarrhea from it so we switched her to Canidae.  The vet said it was from eating people food so we have her on a pretty strict diet of only eating her own food.  Thinking I might try switching her dog foods again but wanted to get some input before I made a change.  
View Quote

We have a boxer that was a perpetual fart (and poop) machine. Horrible stinky stuff. You could tell where he was in the house by the odor.

My wife changed his dog food.

He no longer farts. His bowels are now regulated.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a boxer that was a perpetual fart (and poop) machine. Horrible stinky stuff. You could tell where he was in the house by the odor.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's promissing.  After about 5 minutes of googling I might try to put her on Orijen dog food.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#3]
You could also try adding some probiotics formulated for dogs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I (always the cheapster!) was thinking 2Tsp of active culture yogurt a day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of adult dogs don't have the proper enzymes for processing dairy, and that could actually make the problem worse.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A lot of adult dogs don't have the proper enzymes for processing dairy, and that could actually make the problem worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh, never had a problem. I thought that live culture yogurt was pretty easily digested, even by lactose intolerant.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I got some samples of Taste of the Wild.  Protein content is about the same as canidae but it appears to have much better reviews and is grain free.  I'm doing 1/2 Canadae and 1/2 Taste of the Wild.  The dog seemed to really like the change.  Eventually I'll switch over to 100% Taste of the Wild.  

I might do the probiotic if this does not help.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Taste of the Wild is good stuff. Our guy is a dachs x beagle mix and he's got alot of food allergies. We had him on that for awhile and he seemed to like it. Had to switch to the Hill Science Z/D though and I know what you mean about them being a fart machine. He'll let one rip on the couch and you won't hear it but then your nose burns and your eyes start to water. Just keep trying foods till you get him one that doesn't set him off as much.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have anything to add, but I chuckled when I read the title.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Food allergy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#11]
some dogs are naturally gassy, just like some humans. my bull terrier mix for example has gas that will clear a room faster than a swat team, and it doesn't matter what she eats.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
We have found our dogs have issues with food that contains chicken. From reading breed specific forums it seems it is a common problem. Our GSD and Aussie can kill with the gas they produce when eating chicken protein based food.  We feed Orijen, switched from chicken to salmon and can't remember the last time one of the dogs farted.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Something else occurred to me that I didn't see addressed. How does your dog eat? Is she a "gulper" that wolfs down her food or does she eat more slowly, chewing her food carefully. I ask because ingested air can cause or contribute to gas.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#14]
also, don't give your dog rawhide treats.  Everytime I gave my dog one, it turned to swamp gas
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
We tried  Canidie on our dogs (Great Danes) and it gave them terrible gas and diarrhea. Switched to Nutro Max Adult Large Breed and it solved the porblem. Believe me three Great Danes with diarrhea at the same time wasn't fun!
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Well she is doing a 1/2 and 1/2 between dog foods right now and her gas issue is much improved.  She is a pretty slow eater and takes her time.  She won't eat until she is left alone.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We tried  Canidie on our dogs (Great Danes) and it gave them terrible gas and diarrhea. Switched to Nutro Max Adult Large Breed and it solved the porblem. Believe me three Great Danes with diarrhea at the same time wasn't fun!
View Quote

Had same issue with Canidae,  1 dane and 1 oe mastiff.   When you can hear the dog rip one you know it's time to clear the room.  Changed food and now the farts are fewer but still deadly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Grain free food made our old Ridgeback able to burn paint off the walls with his farts.  Took him off grain free, and at least it go rid of the odor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
My rescue GSD was really farty when we got her.  I reduced her food intake from 2 cups per serving to 1.5 cups per serving and it solved the problem within 48hrs.

To be fair, I also noticed she had to poop A LOT and also her dumps were larger than my 90lb GSD.

Not sure if this applies to you, but all solutions might help.  Overfeeding could possibly be an issue.

My big guy still gets 2 cups, she gets 1.5
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive got one with a sensitive stomach.  We had a lot of luck with Diamond Premium. Only time he has gas now is if he gets into the Diamond Puppy or gets a treat.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#21]
We use Orijen and are happy with it,  granted it is for our cat but I would definitely buy it for a dog if we had one.  The other consideration for a gas issue might be a fresh cooked or raw diet though both the Orijen and fresh are expensive it can be worth it for a healthy pet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#22]
We switched her to Taste of the Wild Salmon and she has been doing great.  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top