Posted: 3/31/2015 1:08:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea...it's probably not a carolina dog.

A lot of people have seen pictures of carolina dogs and they are medium sized, yellowish dun color, etc etc.  They see a generic mutt with the same basic look and label it carolina dog.

Truth is, many multi-generational mutts have that 'dingo look'...and many Carolina Dogs do not.  Carolina Dogs are actually identified as something unique because of their unique behavior, things like 3 estrus cycles in quick succession, etc.

THIS is a Carolina Dog, verified by behavior traits and DNA profiles.

Too many people identify dog by appearance, and once they have that in their minds then find similarities in general dog behaviors etc.  For instance many non-scientific sites on carolina dog go heavily into appearance but gloss over that many mutts all over the world have the same apeparance and not mentioning that many real Carolina Dogs deviate significantly from the appearance.  They also cite behaviors like pounce-hunting small rodents in the same way foxes do.  Guess what...wolves, coyotes, many feral dogs, and my dog all hunt rodents the same way.  And my dog was a collie mix.  Same with killing snakes with a whip-like motion, or digging dens.  Lots of dogs that have spent a few generations feral will display these traits, and these kinds of traits pop up in purebred many generation pet dogs from time to time as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
edit
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:57:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a nice looking dog OP, and should make a good companion regardless of if it really is a Carolina Dog, or if it is just a multi-generational yellow colored mutt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the pic on the SPCA website:

<a href="http://s687.photobucket.com/user/brohawk/media/ginger_zps4dgalvqz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv233/brohawk/ginger_zps4dgalvqz.jpg</a>
View Quote

Looks kinda like a Korean Jindo Dog; I had two, currently have one (this picture isn't her, she was a lighter tan color).

I had to put my old girl down in December; I still have a boy Jindo.

Read up on them; they're still a bit rare in the US, but (assuming you can handle an independent dog) they are amazing and highly underrated.  Very clean dogs (I only had issues when her body started failing, otherwise she could go 24 hours + without going out if it was raining and she didn't want to go outside and get wet).  Very loyal (read stories about dogs in Korea returning home after being sold).  Some have a bit of a prey drive, so if you have small animals such as penguins they may be lunch (although mine are both good with cats).  They can be stubborn, and will take a while to warm up to you; but once they recognize you as their person they will follow you through the gates of hell.

They love to roam, walk, hike.  They're not going to be happy playing ball in the back yard; they want to spend 5 hours exploring your local state park.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top