Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 7:47:53 AM EDT
I recently lost Buddy the Cat to renal failure.  She tried to tell me something was wrong and I wasn't listening.

The wife and I had Buddy for 10 years.  Unwanted as a kitten, she was given to us by acquaintances who were having the rest of the litter euthanized.

She was an asshole.  Loved to lie in wait, hang out a paw, and "hook" you as you walked by.  Late for work and rushing by? tough shit, I'm latching on.  Wearing a nice suit and heading to a meeting?  here, let me go ahead and snag your pant leg.  God help you if you were wearing a hooded sweatshirt with draw strings...if she snatched one, you could count on a 5 minute wrestle to get untangled.

She did what she wanted, when she wanted.  Try to change that, and you'd pay.  Years ago, she bit the wife at the vet's office as the vet was ramming a thermometer up her ass.  The vet tech who was armed with shoulder length leather gloves, neglected to give my wife a pair.  The bite was infected with cellulitis and the wife had to have surgery on her finger.  That was the last time the wife took her to the vet (also the last time I used that vet).  I think that's the day she became "my" cat.  Buddy always liked men more anyway.

She teased the dogs.  A master at trolling, Buddy would hide under a blanket on the back of the couch.  A dog sleeping on the cushion below was fair game for a quick swipe and retreat.  In the morning when I fed the animals, Buddy would sometimes guard the dog food daring them to come and eat it.

She was also very vocal.  She would "coo" and make trilling noises.  She would stretch her meows out.  Many times she'd start up and I'd laugh at her while watching tv, which would prompt her to come lay on my chest right in my field of vision.

So it was this kind of playful nature I assumed was responsible for her sudden love of running water.  For several months before her death, Buddy would follow me into the kitchen or bathrooms.  She'd hound me to turn on the faucets so she could drink and play.  It became part of our routine.  Every day, several times a day.  The wife would roll her eyes when I'd ask her to turn the water on for Buddy.

A week or so before her death, she was more vocal than usual.  Thinking back on it, her sounds were different.  

So it caught me by surprise when she became unable to jump onto counters or the bathtub edge to get water.  

The next day, she stopped walking as much.  

My vet was out of town, but her vet tech diagnosed the problem as a leg/knee injury based on the info I gave her.  I gave Buddy prednizone for 2 days.  

While administering the pills, I noticed her breath smelled bad.  Didn't think much about it and figured it was due to her not eating much.

I came home from work a day later and Buddy was cool to the touch and breathing shallow.  She was weak and barely able to hold her head up.

I flew across town to the emergency vet's office.  Her temp wouldn't register on the thermometer. They warmed her an started an IV.  She passed away 2.5 hours later.

The signs were there, 1) heavy water drinking  2) frequent urination (which is hard to check with two cats and 1 litter box) 3) difference in vocalization 4) bad breath 5) weakness in hindquarters leading to inability to walk.  I just didn't see them.

Pay attention to what they're trying to tell you.  Cats are masters at disguise, but there are signs.

I can't bring myself to post pictures, too damn upsetting right now (and I considered myself a dog person).  RIP Bud, I'll see you soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Went through something very similar with my cat Olive just a few weeks ago.

She's buried in my yard as I type this.

I get that some aren't cat people, but I also get......a lot more, where you're coming from OP.

Olive was a great companion. No, she didn't fetch or do a lot of what dogs do.....but that certainly doesn't diminish just how cool of a companion she was. So glad I decided to take in that tiny kitten that was soaking wet on my patio during that insane thunderstorm 14 years ago. She really was a member of my family and I miss her every day.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear you, Rob. I'm on my sixth cat. You can't be too aggressive or cautious with their health. New behaviors are an instant warning. Dogs, too.

Buddy sounds like one of the all time great cats. RIP
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss.

Please don't beat yourself up using hindsight (at least too badly).  Learn the lesson, but remember that animals are biologically driven to hide weaknesses.  Even pets.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm sorry for your loss!
I think you should know that what your veterinarian's vet tech did was very illegal. Being a certified veterinary technician some things we just can't do. It is illegal for us to diagnose or Rx medications. It is also illegal to Rx medications without a current exam by a licensed veterinarian.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went through something very similar with my cat Olive just a few weeks ago.

She's buried in my yard as I type this.

I get that some aren't cat people, but I also get......a lot more, where you're coming from OP.

Olive was a great companion. No, she didn't fetch or do a lot of what dogs do.....but that certainly doesn't diminish just how cool of a companion she was. So glad I decided to take in that tiny kitten that was soaking wet on my patio during that insane thunderstorm 14 years ago. She really was a member of my family and I miss her every day.

View Quote

I think that because I'm a "dog person" her death bothers me even more.

I also believe that's why she took a shine to me.  She was indifferent about my wife and most other people, but she liked my brother (also a dog person) and I.  Sensed it maybe?  I don't know...

I caught myself looking for her when I got home from the office.  Waited for her this morning before I poured food in the cat bowl.

They really do find a permanent place in your heart and I can't believe I'm this bothered by it.  I won't be getting another any time soon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss.

Please don't beat yourself up using hindsight (at least too badly).  Learn the lesson, but remember that animals are biologically driven to hide weaknesses.  Even pets.
View Quote

I consider it a very, very tough learning experience.

My 2 dogs and my wife's cat are treated like royalty.  They eat good food, sleep where they want (in our bed mostly), and are loved very much.  So it bothers me to know that I missed signs that are now obvious to me.

Won't happen again.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm sorry for your loss!
I think you should know that what your veterinarian's vet tech did was very illegal. Being a certified veterinary technician some things we just can't do. It is illegal for us to diagnose or Rx medications. It is also illegal to Rx medications without a current exam by a licensed veterinarian.
View Quote

Perhaps.  Our primary vet comes to the house for bloodwork, physicals, shots,etc.  She'd examined and given everybody their shots 6 months ago.

She was out of town due to an illness in her family.  I asked her vet tech to come and try to help.  With the Dr. on the phone during the exam, she did the best she could.  The doc made the call on the prednizone.  

I don't blame them for this.  Certainly not upset her tech tried to help.  They actually came by the morning after to offer condolences.  

I may delete this if it could get them in trouble.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your loss.  Cats are pretty hardcore about pain or suffering for the most part, so don't beat yourself up too badly.  You said yourself you're not a "cat person" and yet you did try to get medical attention when you noticed something was wrong.   Buddy obviously had a great life and was loved.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I am sorry for your loss, I too, am a dog person, but there are a few cats, the ones that are a lot like yours was, that I let "get" to me. Man, don't beat your ass up over this, we all do the best we can, sometimes we miss stuff. God knows we try though.

I hope that when I see them all, over there, I hope we could talk, I hope I could tell them all how much I loved them (and love them still), I hope they will tell me that they forgave the careless times, or the times when I was too busy for them, and I hope they loved me anyhow, and understood. I hope they will say that, and that they liked their tummy rubbed, or their ears scratched, or they enjoyed our walks or whatever...  I hope...
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top