Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2015 2:05:30 AM EDT
Had a situation this evening where a aggressive dog came after my 12 week old pup. Got my dog behind me, screamed at the top of my lungs at the dog. It raised its back and fur stood up and the dog drops low and kept on coming. When it was within reach of my legs and my dog I cracked it in the side of the head with my Sig M-11 and knocked it stupid. It staggered away, turned and looked at me again as I got it in my sights and wisely it ran off. The owner came looking a few minutes later and I told her that her dog came after my pup and next time I put it down, she says screw you as she drove off. I was at a neighbors house when it happened and they have seen this dog before, it is aggressive towards people and dogs. It got off lucky this time. Going to start carrying my night stick with me when we walk from now on although I think this dog got the message.

I hated having to hit a dog that hard but I am not letting another dog attack my dog and turn it dog aggressive, injure it or bite me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Didja get the lady's tag#?

Just in case she starts shit.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 2:25:47 AM EDT
[#2]
She lives a street south of me and I know where she lives.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on you for protecting your pup!!

Those kind of scenarios can really traumatize a puppy badly and it's hard to recover them after they've been traumatized in such a way.

That lady better watch it though. Sooner or later someone will eventually put the dog down, or worse. The dog will put someone in the hospital.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two witnesses on last night so if it gets out again and comes at me and my dog it is done. We have encountered a few off leash dogs on our walks and every one that got to close ran off when I screamed at it, not this one. I thought for sure I was getting bit which I didn't care about or my dog was getting attacked which I did. Someone heard me hit it in the jaw inside their house. Thing that really pisses me off was her screw you when I told her her dog came after my dog not caring about anyone but herself. I know I hurt the dog and felt bad about it but after the screw you I am glad I saved my dog from a bite and maybe taught her dog a lesson.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Document this aggressive dog with whatever local authority you have, all part of CYA if and when you have to drop it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Document this aggressive dog with whatever local authority you have, all part of CYA if and when you have to drop it.
View Quote

I would agree with this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I would agree with this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would agree with this.

+1 yup. There needs to be a paper trail.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, document it.  I shot an aggressive dog before.  It can invite the man into your life.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad everything went alright.

Looking for pictures of defenseless puppy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Good looking pup OP.  My 8 year old GSD is that same color.  You did the right thing protecting her.  I understand about feeling bad smacking the other dog but you had to do it.  Bad/aggressive dogs come like that come from owners who either abuse them or teach them to be that way.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bad/aggressive dogs come like that come from owners who either abuse them or teach them to be that way.
View Quote

That truism is not correct at all. There are many breeds who are genetically aggressive towards other dogs, animals, and/or people. Breeds that have been bred that way for decades or centuries. And then just the odd bad apple, too.

I personally owned one (breed trait, Akita dog aggression), and I trained in close proximity to a large number of similarly "bad" dogs (you can't get training for a "bad" dog around good dogs ). Some of these dogs had extensive human bite histories and were literally one step away from getting the needle. Every single one of these dogs was/is owned by loving, intelligent owners who sought out the very best training and assistance to correct these behaviors. Guess what: nurture does NOT always triumph over nature. Many, not all, of these owners are quite experienced and even doing everything correctly from the time they got the pup to when it was a serious problem it was still a serious problem.

Even when addressed in the best way possible there are many dogs who can only be controlled, not trusted or changed. So when Cesar Milan or whoever goes on TV and shows owners that they can control their out-of-control dog-killer, you'll notice that they rarely, if ever, show that dog off-lead or having free access to other dogs. That's because it CAN'T. Forever. For the rest of its life.

And that is why when people post in this forum that they think it would be so bad-ass to go out and get a Malinois, Ovcharka, Akita, Rotty, some livestock guardian breed, or similar, that people feel compelled to remind them that the first 12 months of love and training, even the best possible, will not magically change what these dogs are designed to do, or, if you get a tough roll of the dice on temperament, what they are.

Heck, I personally know two very, very bad Labradors. Who would have thought a Lab could be a dog killer? But they are out there. So when you are shopping for a dog, whether it be a big LGD or a "Lassie" for your "Timmy", temperament should be high, if not highest, on your list of key attributes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That truism is not correct at all. There are many breeds who are genetically aggressive towards other dogs, animals, and/or people. Breeds that have been bred that way for decades or centuries. And then just the odd bad apple, too.

I personally owned one (breed trait, Akita dog aggression), and I trained in close proximity to a large number of similarly "bad" dogs (you can't get training for a "bad" dog around good dogs ). Some of these dogs had extensive human bite histories and were literally one step away from getting the needle. Every single one of these dogs was/is owned by loving, intelligent owners who sought out the very best training and assistance to correct these behaviors. Guess what: nurture does NOT always triumph over nature. Many, not all, of these owners are quite experienced and even doing everything correctly from the time they got the pup to when it was a serious problem it was still a serious problem.

Even when addressed in the best way possible there are many dogs who can only be controlled, not trusted or changed. So when Cesar Milan or whoever goes on TV and shows owners that they can control their out-of-control dog-killer, you'll notice that they rarely, if ever, show that dog off-lead or having free access to other dogs. That's because it CAN'T. Forever. For the rest of its life.

And that is why when people post in this forum that they think it would be so bad-ass to go out and get a Malinois, Ovcharka, Akita, Rotty, some livestock guardian breed, or similar, that people feel compelled to remind them that the first 12 months of love and training, even the best possible, will not magically change what these dogs are designed to do, or, if you get a tough roll of the dice on temperament, what they are.

Heck, I personally know two very, very bad Labradors. Who would have thought a Lab could be a dog killer? But they are out there. So when you are shopping for a dog, whether it be a big LGD or a "Lassie" for your "Timmy", temperament should be high, if not highest, on your list of key attributes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad/aggressive dogs come like that come from owners who either abuse them or teach them to be that way.

So many bad and back yard breeders out there that are passing on the bad traits. When I went looking for my Malinois I passed up a lot of breeders because of issues I saw at their kennels. Worst one was a Dutch Shepherd that tried to go over a short fence to kill a lab in a exercise pen. This was one of his dogs in his breeding program. This clown was also training dogs and I started laughing when he was showing me how well dog could heel. None of his adult dogs were safe to be around

The breeder I bought from insisted on me spending time with both parents and they were awesome dogs. Spent two hours between them.

My dogs socialization consists of my dog in public being taught not to interact with any person other than myself. As for other dogs, keep them away. My dogs have never played with other dogs outside my house. I know what the dogs I own now and in the past are capable of doing and that is the reason they are taught not to go to another person or dog. Not taking the chance of them biting. 30+ years of bite trained dogs and outside of a intruder in the back yard that get torn up, the decoy in the bite suit and myself they bit nobody else. People are stupid and think their dogs need other dogs as friends or need to play with other dogs. This is where the dog aggression problems start. Get a bunch of dogs together and in a couple minutes they start setting up a pack structure and here come the fights. I proof my training at dog parks but only outside the fenced areas, my 4 month old is starting to care less about other dogs and people.

Most aggressive dogs I have ever seen was a Irish Setter that was downright dangerous and a Golden Retriever that attacks everyone. The Setter lived in a backyard back east and never got out. The owners threw food through the fence. I made friends with the setter and entered the yard it lived in after gaining his trust and respect, if the owner would walk in the dog would attack. The city eventually demanded the dog be put down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure the dog is fine...better get that Sig checked out though JK

Nice looking dog OP. Sounds like you did the right thing
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top