Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 3:18:12 PM EDT
We're running out of options here... we've had this cat for the last 15 years. So she's getting up there in age.

It started when my gf put a rug on the tile in front of the front door, around late October. Until then she's never had an accident in the house. After several days of the rug being there, she urinated (a lot) on the the rug. We cleaned it up thoroughly, rug and tile. Used OdoBan for pets on the area as well. She did it again. We switched rugs to a different style. It happened again, the same spot, twice. We removed the rug. Took the cat to the vet and had bloodwork done... no diabetes or anything like that. He put the cat on antibiotics in case of a urinary tract infection, and also a glucosamine/fish oil medication in case she's arthritic and having trouble using the litter box. We kept the rug up during treatment and she only had one incident over several weeks on the tile.  She finished the antibiotics last week. We bought an indoor/outdoor rug with a rubber backing... COMPLETELY different and it happened again this morning.

Starting a couple days ago, she started defecating right outside the front of the litter box on the linoleum floor. We've been making sure the box is cleaned at least once a day, we had switched litter brands before this all  happened and went back to her original brand that she's used forever.

She's always been a thin cat even though she's always had unlimited access to food and water; but lately it seems like her hindquarters are getting even thinner than normal. But the vet had checked her out and didn't think anything was wrong.

With the defecation on the floor this is getting even worse, and we can't have this happening in the home. The cat litter box had a hood over it (and always has); we took off the hood today in case that might suddenly be a problem. But today before we did that, I noticed her sniffing around where she normally urinates, took her into the laundry room where the litter box is and closed the door. She went right in front of the litter box, squatted down and defecated again.

I don't know what to do. This cat is a part of the family but this is getting worse and worse, and with no apparent health problems I really don't know what to try next.

Please, does anyone know anything else I can try? This cat has NEVER been outside in her entire life and I don't want to have to find her an outdoor home. My son is devastated but understands this can't continue.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly sounds exactly what went on with my 11 yr old main coon. Started missing the box and targeting a corner. Tried everything from mothballs to cat repellant as deterrent.  Started losing weight and poops were loose.   Vet diagnosis was IBS or cancer.  Wanted to explore with colonoscopy....no way$$.   Decided to isolate cat to upstairs room area with close access to water food.   Away from other cat.  At nite i keep him inbathroom ....eating better but seems to need smaller space.   A damn good cat who was there when i was severely injured ...think it may also be kitty alzheimers if such a thing exists.  More work for me but i love him. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
urinary tract infection possibly?

can also be due to unclean litter box, but it sounds like you're keeping it clean.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It could be "low shutter speed". As some cats age if they get sick or develop rapid onset sensation to pee or crap they may be on their way to the litter but they just don't make it in time.

Our long gone Maine Coon had that problem. She was 16 at the time and she would head towards the box and as she got in and would start turning to position herself it would just fly out of her. She wanted to use her litter but she just couldn't hold it long enough to properly position herself. As the weeks went on it was hitting her sooner and sooner, eventually it got to the point that she would get up from where she was laying, make it two feet and just let go.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Try switching up litters again.

Our cats have went through phases like that.  What worked for them once is not what they will always like.

Going to the bathroom right outside the box may mean that maybe the smell or texture of the litter is bothering them.  We used one that was made from old newspapers that apparently irritated the feet of one of our cats, so she started pooping outside the box - same as you, right outside it.
We changed back to a clay type and she went right back in the box and has been fine - we just have to keep the boxes clean.  3 cats, 3 boxes, scooped every other day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Also might be arthritis related, especially in older cats.. Cat may not be able to climb into the litter box because of the pain.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Try a bigger box or adding another box somewhere
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try a bigger box or adding another box somewhere
View Quote

This, try putting another litter box near where she has been going on the rug.

I had to do that for mine when they were kittens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, we have an elderly cat with same issues. Urinating on rugs, pooping outside litterbox etc...

Our vet put her on Science Diet Kidney Care food for kitties. It is low in protein. Your vet can order it for you. Kinda pricey though. It has helped alot with urination issues. She still poops outside the litter box.  You're dealing with an OLD cat. These are the downsides with elderly.  Lol.  Good luck with your kitty.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone had their cat checked for cancer? Her weight loss is worrying me. Do they have a blood test for that? Cost?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]

My wife's cat had major weight loss of about 5 lbs in just a few months. Turned out it was an over-active thyroid. Blood test was about $45 to diagnose. Treatment was to nuke the thyroid by injecting the cat with radioactive iodine. Took care of issue and cost about $1200 for the treatment, 5 day stay at vet, and followups. Had to store the cat crap for 80 days to let the radiation dissipate as the radioactive crap has been know to set off the radiation detectors at some trash collection facilities.

Cancer isn't the only thing that causes weight loss, although at the time, it was what I thought it was.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a cat my mom had. It was cancer and they had to put her down soon after. Hope you get better news.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like a cat my mom had. It was cancer and they had to put her down soon after. Hope you get better news.
View Quote

If it's cancer, I'm ok with it. She's had a great life so far, and she's getting up there and I know it. I just want to know if she's getting to that point, and if that's causing her issues I'd rather put her down before she's completely a mess. She's a great cat and I won't have her put down just because of behavior issues. But if it's not behavior, and she's losing control, losing weight, etc and it's just getting worse, I need to consider that.

I wish these damn things could talk. She's very vocal (always has been) but it seems like she's trying to tell me something. At least I could tell her to cut it out.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Also might be arthritis related, especially in older cats.. Cat may not be able to climb into the litter box because of the pain.
View Quote

Can you get a shallower box for her? One of the pet supply places (maybe Drs Foster and Smith) had a box for older kitties with arthritis that had a shallow cut out for easier access too.

I got a wide, shallow Rubbermaid type container for my cat for her litter box.  She's 14 and I was worried about this.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can you get a shallower box for her? One of the pet supply places (maybe Drs Foster and Smith) had a box for older kitties with arthritis that had a shallow cut out for easier access too.

I got a wide, shallow Rubbermaid type container for my cat for her litter box.  She's 14 and I was worried about this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I could try that... I am using an Omega Paw Roll n' Clean right now. I don't think that's it, though... she has no trouble jumping up on furniture and the counters unfortunately when she's not being watched. Plus we've been giving her a glucosamine/oil supplement daily as prescribed by the vet in case that was the problem... she's been getting that daily for over a month.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I may have missed it but how is her food and water intake?  Do you feel she has lost more weight since her vet visit a few months ago?  At her age it is very possible for bloodwork (especially chemistry results) to change in a several month period.  Before you go to all of this i would consider checking another chem panel or at least taking her into the vet to weigh her (same scale) so you have documented weights from the past and present.

cschelk2 DVM
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I may have missed it but how is her food and water intake?  Do you feel she has lost more weight since her vet visit a few months ago?  At her age it is very possible for bloodwork (especially chemistry results) to change in a several month period.  Before you go to all of this i would consider checking another chem panel or at least taking her into the vet to weigh her (same scale) so you have documented weights from the past and present.

cschelk2 DVM
View Quote

She has unlimited access to her food and water... always has. She's been eating dry cat food her whole life, she's a semi-long silky hair so she has hairball issues so we've been giving her Purina indoor cat formula for years. Actually her hairball issues have lessened since we've been giving her the glucosamine; it's in a greasy paste. After she started with the urinating on the rug and we had to give the antibiotics and glucosamine, she's been getting a tablespoon or so of canned cat food each day (to mix in her medicine/supplements).  I'm going to call the vet again after I get home to discuss.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a condition called cognitive dysfunction syndrome that affects as many as 1 in 10 cats. It is characterized by behavioral changes, incontinence/litterbox issues, and anorexia, among other things. This may not be the issue, but then again it may be.

Good luck with your kitty.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

She has unlimited access to her food and water... always has. She's been eating dry cat food her whole life, she's a semi-long silky hair so she has hairball issues so we've been giving her Purina indoor cat formula for years. Actually her hairball issues have lessened since we've been giving her the glucosamine; it's in a greasy paste. After she started with the urinating on the rug and we had to give the antibiotics and glucosamine, she's been getting a tablespoon or so of canned cat food each day (to mix in her medicine/supplements).  I'm going to call the vet again after I get home to discuss.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cschelk2 DVM

But what is her water and food intake like?  Is she drinking more/less than usual?  Is she eating more/less than usual?  Was a thyroid test included in her bloodwork?  These are all things i would think first prior to ruling them out and as i mentioned before; the bloodwork could change in a 3-4 months period especially if her glucose or bun/creatinine levels were borderline high.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is a condition called cognitive dysfunction syndrome that affects as many as 1 in 10 cats. It is characterized by behavioral changes, incontinence/litterbox issues, and anorexia, among other things. This may not be the issue, but then again it may be.

Good luck with your kitty.

View Quote

Could be, I would have a good Vet check her out.  Some times changing the kind of litter effects the cats bathroom habits.  Crapping in front of the litter box is her way of telling you she doesn't like the litter you are buying.  Some cats like clay base litter, other like corn base.  Most do not like any thing with perfume in it.  

As a breeder I go thru a lot, 40lbs a month, of litter, I really like "Worlds Best".
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top