Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2015 3:45:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a belgian who had similar issues. He is now 14 months and has solid poops.  Some things i have tried, although i think some of it just has to do with age.

Cooked rice: definitly solidifies things, but not a sustainable diet.
fasting for 24 hours, only and lots of water.
feeding only once a day.
no exercise after eating.
raw diet: i fed just raw chicken legs for a week, after a 24 hour fast.  I think this helped a lot and has dramitically changed the way he digests food now. Going to

My goal was to go to a raw diet. Raw chicken, rice, raw egg, and salmon oil, but the logistics of that didnt work with my schedule right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ufaw.org.uk/EXOCRINEPANCREATICINSUFFICIENCYGSD.php

very common in gsd

had a dog with it

enzymes from ground up pig pancreas   (viokase)    with every feeding and correct diet for rest of their life

manageable for the dog and you but it is a little expensive

of course under vet supervision

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't really diagnose IBD with a blood test, it requires biopsies to get a definitive diagnosis.  Rarely do we ever do the biopsies however ultrasound by someone who knows what they are doing can be pretty diagnostic.  Usually it can be controlled with diet and sometimes meds if it's really bad.  The problems I see are when people change the diet to something else because they want to save money and they end up spending more getting it back under control than if they would have just stuck with the original plan.  So when you get it under control don't go messing with changing things up!

Do you by chance have lab values for albumin and globulin?  I'm also curious if the vet told you why they are using royal canin SO?  That is a urinary diet.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
We were beginning to think she might have EPI, but testing done by Texas A&M said that it was IBD (small bowel)

sorry misread your post somewhat did not mean to be doom and gloom

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Last summer we brought in a GSD to our family.  She is now 8 months old.
As long as I can remember (likely ever since we brought her home) she has had soft stool.  It varies from the consistency of pudding to pure liquid.  We have been to the vet many times over the course of the 6 months she has been with us.  We have tried different foods, we have done multiple courses of flagyl.  We have tried immodium and pepto.  She has had multiple stool studies, one of which showed coccadia on the float, which she was treated for and subsequently is gone on follow up test.  At this time she is coccadia and giardia negative

We tried boiled chicken and rice which gave her explosive diarrhea.  We did boiled salmon and rice which in conjunction with the flagyl gave her as close to normal stool as she has ever had.  

First time on flagyl she started getting form to her poop, but within 5 days of ending the course (10 days) she was back to pudding and worse

Second time was flagyl and sulfa drug for coccadia.  Started moving in right direction and then went back to soft

Third time on flagyl no real change

We have also done the probiotics
We were beginning to think she might have EPI, but testing done by Texas A&M said that it was IBD (small bowel)
So we are getting ready to start a course of weekly B12 injections and changing her kibble from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream to (vet recommended) Royal Canin SO.  As soon as it gets here this week we will start with that.
So I am wondering if anyone has experience with this and can tell me what I am in for and if anyone has tips or advice

Other than the chronic diarrhea, you would never know that there was anything wrong with her
Texas A&M labs:

Cobalamin fasting: 256  (reference 251-908)  Results suggestive of distal small bowel disease (according to Texas A&M vet)

Folate fasting 17.4 (reference 7.7-24.4)

PLI fasting 130 (reference <200)

TLI fasting 19.9 (reference 5.7-45.2)
View Quote
If there isn't anything else indicated by the vet's battery of tests, try adding a spoonful of 100% pumpkin as a topping on their food, or (my Greyhounds love this as a summer time treat), as frozen cubes:  

I half pack each cell of a silicone ice cube tray with the pumpkin, place it in a plastic bag, freeze and then pop out a cube as needed/wanted. GH's are very prone to runny poops, since the adrenalin dump after a good sprint is usually enough to loosen up their otherwise firm stools

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've tried pumpkin, it went right through her (quickly) and just gave her orange poop
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Last summer we brought in a GSD to our family.  She is now 8 months old.

As long as I can remember (likely ever since we brought her home) she has had soft stool.  It varies from the consistency of pudding to pure liquid.  We have been to the vet many times over the course of the 6 months she has been with us.  We have tried different foods, we have done multiple courses of flagyl.  We have tried immodium and pepto.  She has had multiple stool studies, one of which showed coccadia on the float, which she was treated for and subsequently is gone on follow up test.  At this time she is coccadia and giardia negative

We tried boiled chicken and rice which gave her explosive diarrhea.  We did boiled salmon and rice which in conjunction with the flagyl gave her as close to normal stool as she has ever had.  

First time on flagyl she started getting form to her poop, but within 5 days of ending the course (10 days) she was back to pudding and worse

Second time was flagyl and sulfa drug for coccadia.  Started moving in right direction and then went back to soft

Third time on flagyl no real change

We have also done the probiotics

So we are getting ready to start a course of weekly B12 injections and changing her kibble from Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream to (vet recommended) Royal Canin SO.  As soon as it gets here this week we will start with that.
So I am wondering if anyone has experience with this and can tell me what I am in for and if anyone has tips or advice

Other than the chronic diarrhea, you would never know that there was anything wrong with her
Texas A&M labs:

Cobalamin fasting: 256  (reference 251-908)  Results suggestive of distal small bowel disease (according to Texas A&M vet)

Folate fasting 17.4 (reference 7.7-24.4)

PLI fasting 130 (reference <200)

TLI fasting 19.9 (reference 5.7-45.2)
If there isn't anything else indicated by the vet's battery of tests, try adding a spoonful of 100% pumpkin as a topping on their food, or (my Greyhounds love this as a summer time treat), as frozen cubes:  

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1380118_10201759617646769_78862425_n.jpg?oh=8e8d10ee2d91a6616df289b076961fa3&oe=552B4E37
I half pack each cell of a silicone ice cube tray with the pumpkin, place it in a plastic bag, freeze and then pop out a cube as needed/wanted. GH's are very prone to runny poops, since the adrenalin dump after a good sprint is usually enough to loosen up their otherwise firm stools

We've tried pumpkin, it went right through her (quickly) and just gave her orange poop

I saw this, but haven't had to try it:

http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/10-superfoods-for-dogs-that-will-add-years-to-your-his-life/

"9. Sweet Potatoes

Anti Inflamatories

My first thought was these are GREAT when our dogs have sore, tender muscles after a long walk or rigorous play session.  What I learned as that these are GREAT at fighting off the onset of inflammatory bowel disease in dogs.  If you’re like me, then you’re now saying "Inflammatory Bowel whatttt???”

Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) is a disorder in which one or more sections of the gastrointestinal tract have become invaded with inflammatory cells. Over time, this inflammation causes the intestine to become less efficient at absorbing nutrients from digested food and weight loss, vomiting or diarrhea often result. Early signs are often subtle which allows IBD to go undiagnosed for months to years until the dog begins to develop more serious symptoms.” ~ Halo Pets"

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I probably am of no help but we just switched our puppy after 2 weeks of Taste of the Wild puppy formula, constant diarrhea. We went to 4 Health puppy food since our other two dogs were on this with no issues. He now has a hard stool.

I hope your puppy gets over this, I know it's aggravating.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#12]
1 of 2:
Oh wow this sounds like our baby. She is a lab/Great Dane mix with Shar Pei thrown in. We started her on Blue Buffalo when we got her at 12 weeks and she had nothing but soft stools. Also went through testing after two nights of her having explosive, uncontrollable diarrhea. She was put on prescription Science diet I/D which was FABULOUS but ridiculously expensive and a pain to get b/c it has to be at the vet. When we tried weening her off and mixing it with the dry food, the stools went back to the same "frozen yogurt" consistency (husband's analogy). Tried chicken and rice mixed with kibble, still soft. Back on the I/D, fine. Vet said that a lot of pups have problems with the high protein in Blue Buffalo and have similar issues.
What we ended up doing was going to Pet Valu store, a Canadian based company just starting to pop up more in the US, and talking to them. All of their staff are trained on all of the foods that they sell to know what's in it and what is best for each issue you may have. Granted, some employees DEFINITELY better than others, but we ended up switching to their brand of food - Performatrin. It's definitely more expensive but so far has been WELL worth it. From what I've read/heard Canada has much stricter regulations on what goes in their pet food, and the Performatrin brand has lower grain. Within a week of switching to the Performatrin, no problems. Stool hard as a rock. ETA: this is what we buy her http://www.petvalu.com/dog/food/product/10401/grain-free-recipe-performatrin-ultra
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#13]
2 of 2:
Because the dry food is expensive, we sub in high quality wet food mixed in (just a few table spoons heated up and mixed well so it coats the kibble), sometimes just sprinkle some Parmesan on top, or I do a bit of cooking for her - rice, chicken, ground turkey, green beans (sparingly, they make her gassy but she loves them), and sweet potatoes are her favorites. I'll usually cook 3 lbs of the ground turkey up and then seperate into small containers to freeze with rice and a veggie mixed in. We take the containers out of the freezer as we need them and the cost of the whole batch which lasts around 2 weeks is about the same as 2 cans of expensive wet food.
As far as treats are concerned, we've made her frozen puppy treats in the summer with Greek yogurt and Peanut Butter (just put the two in silicone ice cube trays so they're easy to pop out). We also use Bil Jax in her Wobbler and organic peanut butter in her Kong.  It all may sound crazy, but we've noticed that when she has the cheaper brands of treats/foods that have a lot of preservatives we are right back to square one with loose stools.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#14]
You could try Royal Canin Anallergen dog food.  Fairly new on the market.  We had some good results with it.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top