Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 10:30:44 PM EDT
I have an 8 year old Boxer/Rott mix.  He has a bad hip from an injury as a pup.  He's never gotten around really well, but, he runs, plays, chases things.  

I started noticing, several weeks ago, that he did not seem to be eating as much.  He eats 'free choice' from an open bag.  He shares it with his sister.

Friday I walked past his bed and noticed labored breathing, drooling (normally he does this sometimes) and he seemed bloated.

He weighs 100lbs.  I managed to get him to slowly walk to my truck.  Took him to the vet.

X-rays showed fluid in his abdomen.  Vet drew fluid to inspect, some red blood cells, some inflamed cells, nothing to indicate exactly why there was fluid.

He has a granular, almost corn mealish color and texture of stool.  I saw his poop that afternoon.  It was crumbly, yellowish and he did not pass much.  His lower intesting looked granular on the Xray.

Doc put him on antibiotics and two different diuretics. Clavamox

By Saturday he had urinated, swelling was down and he was beginning to at least eat the hotdogs I used to hide his meds.  On Friday he would not even eat hotdogs, had to force pills down him.  He vomited up the hotdogs Saturday night.

Yesterday he was moving pretty well and walked to the feedbag but did not eat.

This evening (Monday) he barely ate two hotdogs.  I really think he ate them just to be polite.  Tried to interest him in venison jerly, he walked to the door to be let outside.

He probably just went outside to puke up the meds.

I am supposed to keep him on antibiotics (to cover a base) and diuretics (to allow clear x-rays) until Friday.

This drop in appetite is worrisome.  There were no signs of a tumor, but, the water stopped the vet from seeing clearly.

Heart failure and 'abdominal mass' were the two possible reason (so far) for the fluid.

No heartworms (they tested that day).  Blood drown, lab results showed no other parasites.

I'm going back to the vet in the morning for X-rays.  What should we/they be looking for?

Poisoning?  Bowel issue?  Blockage?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm totally wild guessing but possible diverticulosis that may have a small  tear or ulceration giving a (for now) low-grade peritonitis? Crumbly stool usually indicates constipation or perhaps very slow transit time. Yellowing/greenish can indicate bile. Regardless, there are some signs that this needs to be figured out fast. Best of luck to you, it sucks so much when they are sick or injured and you can't even figure out how to help them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
At vet.  Blood drawn.  Waiting for results.  No tumors felt by hand. No lymph swelling.  Weight down aboit 10lbs ...water frim gut mostly.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At vet.  Blood drawn.  Waiting for results.  No tumors felt by hand. No lymph swelling.  Weight down aboit 10lbs ...water frim gut mostly.

TRG
View Quote

Obviously i can't diagnose anything over the internet but based on the age, breed, and symptoms i would be suspecting some sort of abdominal cancer.  The weight loss, distended abdomen, and overall decrease in appetite would have me thinking cancer (sorry).  I'm not sure if chest radiographs were taken but there is the possibility the fluid in the abdomen could be related to cardiac disorder, especially being a boxer, but my gut would suspect some sort of cancer in the abdomen.  It doesn't always have to be a large tumor and it can be difficult to diagnose with all the fluid present as well.  

Best wishes.

Cschelk2 DVM
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote

Any diagnostic results and/or updates?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
He went downhill. In Dallas now.

Heart weak. Lots of fluid on it and in abdomen.

Three options,  but, won't be able to use imaging until heart stabilized.  Iv being done now.

In order of causes given:  fatal heart tumor.  Two: heart tumor, but maybe a y e ar to live.  Three: idiopathic, no known cause and it goes away.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
He went downhill. In Dallas now.

Heart weak. Lots of fluid on it and in abdomen.

Three options,  but, won't be able to use imaging until heart stabilized.  Iv being done now.

In order of causes given:  fatal heart tumor.  Two: heart tumor, but maybe a y e ar to live.  Three: idiopathic, no known cause and it goes away.

TRG
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear this. We'll be thinking of your boy
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Still hoping for the best...
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Had to let him go this afternoon.  Massive tumor on his heart.  No chance for him.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear TRG, you did all you could.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Dammit, sorry OP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#12]

I had to put down our GSD last summer, a great dog that always had a smile on his face and grew up with our kids.  It's like - no, it is - losing a family member.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had to let him go this afternoon.  Massive tumor on his heart.  No chance for him.

TRG
View Quote

Sorry for your loss; its never easy even when the proof is there that hes hurting.  It sounds like you were behind the eight ball from the get go.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry for your loss; its never easy even when the proof is there that hes hurting.  It sounds like you were behind the eight ball from the get go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Yup.  He went from 'normal Eugene' to heavy breathing and fluid buildup overnight.

Diuretics helped for a couple days, but, apparently this tumor was large and aggressive.

By the time he showed any symptoms of a heart issue, it was too late.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Im sorry for your loss
View Quote

Thanks.

Everyone slowly getting back to normal here.

TRG
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top