Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 12/29/2014 11:30:16 PM EDT
I'm moving into my first house together with the old ball and chain. Her and I have always gone back and forth together on pets (both of our parents have had both dogs and cats) and whether or not they were worth it. Restrictions on going out of town, cost of food, time, etc. etc.

Both of our parents have always owned larger dogs (Golden Retrievers, Chocolate Lab, Lab/Rot mix, etc.) but we're not so sure that fits our current mold moving into first time home buyers.

We have a lot of up front costs included all of the appliances, a new roof, etc. but would definitely like to pursue the thought of a small breed dog. "Subcompact," as I like to call them.

Who isn't too manly to admit that they and/or their wife has a small dog?

I don't want some yippy little annoying piece of shit.. but I have no experience with these smaller breed and that's where you guys come in.

Miniature Dachshund, Miniature Pinscher, etc. - lets here what you guys have to say.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#1]
boston terriers are pretty cool dogs

jack russels are hyper, good dogs but you must dedicate time to train them or they will train you

better yet, go to the pound, find something the wife thinks is cute and rescue it,
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know much about subcompact dogs, but you are to be highly commended for doing smart planning that will guarantee a happy, healthy life for your dog!

So many people just get a pet without seriously considering what they are doing.

My wife and I waited many years until we were in what we thought was a proper position to have the big dog of our dreams. Now we are in an even better position and have two wonderful dogs
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember, there is a whole world of doggie options that are smaller than the typical Lab, GSD, or Dobie yet bigger than the typical Yorkie, Toy Poodle, etc.

I think the true 'medium' sided dog is a really wonderful choice.

Some breeds to consider that are truly medium sized

Australian Cattle Dog aka Blue Heeler

Spaniels (Welsh Springer, English Springer, English Cocker, Boykin, American Water)

Kooikerhondje  aka Kooiker Hound, a Dutch dog of spaniel type with a really crazy name for an absolutely wonderful dog

Bull Terrier

Shetland Sheepdog

Swedish Vallhund (Viking version of Wienerdog)

German Pinscher

Standard Schnauzer

Finnish Spitz

Irish Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier

Nova Scotia Duck Trolling Retriever

Beagle

If you do jump all the way down to a true small (but not tiny) dog please take a look at

'standard' Manchester Terrier

Australian Terrier

Schipperke

Lancashire Heeler
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Behold Simo! The White Death!

I had zero little dog experience, but he's amazing. 5 lbs of bold, outgoing energy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
For the last 30 years I have had a Sheltie in my life. Now I have three, two 1 YO's and a 7 week old pup. This is a first for me having multiple dogs and they are no problem at all but it's made easier on us because my wife is home all day.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a toy blue merle Aussie. Best dog I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

jack russels are hyper, good dogs but you must dedicate time to train them or they will train you

better yet, go to the pound, find something the wife thinks is cute and rescue it,
View Quote

Be really careful rescuing yip yaps. I rescued a chihuahua to keep my Pom company. She does her job, but I've failed to bond with her, and now she's gotten aggressive with him when I pay him attention. The Pom, I got third hand, but he was only 5 months and I was able to shape him into what I wanted.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a toy blue merle Aussie. Best dog I have ever owned.
View Quote

Those are absolutely gorgeous.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
We have 3 house dogs (2 medium and 1 small).  Our Jack Russel is 12 now and has been a good dog overall.  Terriers always have neurotic issues, but they aren't yippie.  They are bad ass dogs for their size.  I am more afraid of her than I am my bigger dogs.  Jack Russels have no problem going toe to toe with any person or dog, but they are good pets.  My Visla mix is about 40lbs and he is a very good dog, but a bit full of himself.  Part of this is because he was near death and only weighed 3 lbs when he was adopted.  We babied him and nursed him back from the edge, so he now believes we are equals.  The final of my trio is just over a year old and also a rescue.  She is a full blood Blue Heeler and is the best dog I have ever seen at this stage in her life.  Extremely playful, super smart, easily trained, loves the other dogs, loves my wife, and adores me.  The thing with heelers is that they can be hard to control if not trained well early on.  They are working dogs and are generally very smart and loyal, sometimes to a fault.  I love my dogs, they are our kids.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:39:44 AM EDT
[#10]

I can haz treat?
More recent pic of our fearless leader Astro, Master of All That He Surveys.

Astro was a rescue from a shit hole puppy mill that some ignorant redneck family was running. It wasn't a knowing rescue, so I can't claim altruism, but there was a whole herd of yorkies running around covered in fleas and oozing emotional issues.

As such, he's been impossible to house break. We've had to resort to using diapers on him. Since I work out of town and the wife works 12 hour shifts it was going to be required anyway, but even when we are home he tries to piss on stuff. It's almost like he has never forgotten that he was the runt of a litter and has to go out of his way to prove Alpha status.

Lola, our Maltese Yorkie mix was easy to house break.

Be prepared to have to burn off all of their energy if you want any peace and quiet.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have 3 house dogs (2 medium and 1 small).  Our Jack Russel is 12 now and has been a good dog overall.  Terriers always have neurotic issues, but they aren't yippie.  They are bad ass dogs for their size.  I am more afraid of her than I am my bigger dogs.  Jack Russels have no problem going toe to toe with any person or dog, but they are good pets.  My Visla mix is about 40lbs and he is a very good dog, but a bit full of himself.  Part of this is because he was near death and only weighed 3 lbs when he was adopted.  We babied him and nursed him back from the edge, so he now believes we are equals.  The final of my trio is just over a year old and also a rescue.  She is a full blood Blue Heeler and is the best dog I have ever seen at this stage in her life.  Extremely playful, super smart, easily trained, loves the other dogs, loves my wife, and adores me.  The thing with heelers is that they can be hard to control if not trained well early on.  They are working dogs and are generally very smart and loyal, sometimes to a fault.  I love my dogs, they are our kids.

<a href="http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/bsmith918/media/image_zpsd837a305.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m553/bsmith918/image_zpsd837a305.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/bsmith918/media/image_zps4e417a44.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m553/bsmith918/image_zps4e417a44.jpeg</a>
View Quote

A cattle dog was what I wanted. I got a Pom instead because I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew, so to speak. In hindsight, I spend so much time with the Pom, I'm sure I could have handled the cattle dog. But .now I'm so in love with the little furball, and he's so portable. He's one of those purse rodents that goes shopping and to restaurants. So freaking awesome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Look into French bulldogs. Had pretty good luck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Something to consider is how much time and money you have to devote to the grooming, training, and exercising of your dog. Some small breeds are very energetic, like Yorkies and Jack Russells. Some require extensive grooming, like poodles and Maltese. Some shed like crazy, like Poms and Pekingese. There are also breeds with significant health considerations, like Frenchies. Some are also very territorial and bossy, like Chihuahuas and Miniature Pinschers.

You would do well to figure out what traits you want in a dog, and then seek out a breed that fits those traits. It's also important to define what you consider to be small. For instance, I consider anything under 25 pounds to be "small", but others think that small means under 10 pounds. It's also important to consider the future in your decision. Right now, I am assuming you don't have any children, but if those are a prospect for the future, you need to make sure the dog you pick is suitable to be around small children. For instance, neither Italian Greyhounds or Affenpinshcers make good companions for a small child.

So tell us what you want, and we can better help you out!

1. What does small mean to you?
2. How much time and money do you have to devote to the dog?
3. How energetic a dog do you want?
4. Are kids in your future?
5. Are you willing to learn to groom it yourself? Do you care about shedding?
6. How "trainable" do you want it to be? Do you want a breed that's fairly obedient, or is housetraining and acting decent on a leash the extent of the training y'all want to worry about?
7. How domineering are you and your wife? Some breeds are much more sensitive than others, and it does make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Something to consider is how much time and money you have to devote to the grooming, training, and exercising of your dog. Some small breeds are very energetic, like Yorkies and Jack Russells. Some require extensive grooming, like poodles and Maltese. Some shed like crazy, like Poms and Pekingese. There are also breeds with significant health considerations, like Frenchies. Some are also very territorial and bossy, like Chihuahuas and Miniature Pinschers.

You would do well to figure out what traits you want in a dog, and then seek out a breed that fits those traits. It's also important to define what you consider to be small. For instance, I consider anything under 25 pounds to be "small", but others think that small means under 10 pounds. It's also important to consider the future in your decision. Right now, I am assuming you don't have any children, but if those are a prospect for the future, you need to make sure the dog you pick is suitable to be around small children. For instance, neither Italian Greyhounds or Affenpinshcers make good companions for a small child.

6. How "trainable" do you want it to be? Do you want a breed that's fairly obedient, or is housetraining and acting decent on a leash the extent of the training y'all want to worry about?
7. How domineering are you and your wife? Some breeds are much more sensitive than others, and it does make a difference.
View Quote

This is an awesome post. I researched the heck out of breeds for years, dreaming of the day I could get a dog. I specifically picked one that was bold and outgoing, under 8 lbs, and that I could brush and comb and primp. I specifically didn't want any protective tendencies or standoffishness, and stayed away from dachshunds for that reason. I wanted a dog like Kelly Rippa. Just a bright little ray of sunshine, zero aggression, easily amused, with hair I could play with.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll second this post.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Warhounds watching HH6's Zombie defense loadout.

Alaskan Klee Kais... 25% the size of a Husky, 400% of the attitude of a Husky!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Look into French bulldogs. Had pretty good luck.
View Quote

This! Mine does just fine around the Mals too. Plus they are as active or lazy as you are.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 1:23:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Miniature Dachshund

Once they are out of puppy stage they are super cool with the demeanor of a regular sized dog.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/5ohuv8.jpg

I had zero little dog experience, but he's amazing. 5 lbs of bold, outgoing energy.
View Quote

Looks like a very happy dag.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i61.tinypic.com/5ohuv8.jpg

He's so happy, all the time. Every time I look at him, he's grinning at me. I can't describe it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Miniature Dachshund

Once they are out of puppy stage they are super cool with the demeanor of a regular sized dog.
View Quote

^^^^^ This.  Dachshunds are big dogs in little bodies.  Make sure you socialize  them (or any dog) so they don't go into protect mode every time you have someone over.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 miniature Australian Shepherds. Female is 20 lbs and male is 30 lbs. Great dogs. Easy to train. Great size for travel and home. Very loyal. But need exercise and a task. Would not trade them for anything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Boston's are awesome.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Norfolk Terrier
These are just great little guys
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#25]
i have worked in an animal shelter for a decade, i have worked with dogs of all sizes, and to be honest, i wouldn't have any dog smaller than a bull terrier.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i have worked in an animal shelter for a decade, i have worked with dogs of all sizes, and to be honest, i wouldn't have any dog smaller than a bull terrier.
View Quote

Probably because all the Pomeranians were snapped up before they could make it to the shelter, because they're pure awesome and everyone wants them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I've owned a Jack Russell...crazy dogs with high energy and needs lot of exercise.

Currently have a Border Terrier. Very good sub-compact dog. Tough little guy with lots of personality, great with the kids. But he doesn't have the "bee in a mason jar" personality of the JRT.

Example (not my dog)

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a red healer and a rot that live inside. The healer is a small dog but needs lots of exercise. Mine goes to work every day with me, either in the cab or on the bed. She loves going for a walk and a game of fetch after work. She is super smart, so much so she gets in trouble. If you have kids a healer may not be your best bet because they nip a lot. If you want a buddy that will love you to death they are perfect.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Probably because all the Pomeranians were snapped up before they could make it to the shelter, because they're pure awesome and everyone wants them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually i have had the disfortune of working with about a dozen of the little fucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

actually i have had the disfortune of working with about a dozen of the little fucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have been long hair chihuahuas. Pomeranians are delightful.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#31]
We have a Yorkie.  I never in my life thought I would like a small dog but she is great.  Very, very playful, mostly listens (at least when it is important) and isn't high maintenance.  She likes to walk, but she is fine without them.  This time of year it is too freakin' cold to walk her and she doesn't seem to mind.

If you do look at Yorkies, don't get the teacup.  Mine is over AKC weight, she is 11 lbs.  Also, find a breeder that is not a puppy mill.  The Amish are notorious for puppy milling Yorkies.  

I'll post a picture later.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#32]
" />

Best dog ever.... She is a Mini long Haired Dachshund. She is smart as a whip, loyal and loving and a good watch dog. Great temperament vs. the standards nthat can be a little nippy and one owner.

Did I say smart... We taught her to ring a bell hanging from the back door handle to go outside... she got it in less then a day.

13 pounds and fearless (except a baby bunny that scared her..)
She has been a wonderful addition to the family...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#33]
All you need...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#34]
My new pup.  He's about 2.2 pounds.

Tony

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Pug... Accept no substitute.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We have a Yorkie.  I never in my life thought I would like a small dog but she is great.  Very, very playful, mostly listens (at least when it is important) and isn't high maintenance.  She likes to walk, but she is fine without them.  This time of year it is too freakin' cold to walk her and she doesn't seem to mind.

If you do look at Yorkies, don't get the teacup.  Mine is over AKC weight, she is 11 lbs.  Also, find a breeder that is not a puppy mill.  The Amish are notorious for puppy milling Yorkies.  

I'll post a picture later.
View Quote

She needs groomed

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you have plumber terrior in usa ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another Boston vote...but beware they have some of the worst gas you'll ever smell
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do you have plumber terrior in usa ?
View Quote

Plummers are here, but they're pretty rare.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 6:14:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Small dog?  West Highland Terrier or a Bichon Frise.  Both are generally nice little dogs - ow your raise and train them will of course make the difference between good dog and PITA, but that's the same with any dog.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Some terriers, especially those of the Jack Russel type have got a certain kind of craziness in them.

I think a better choice, and a dog that is unfortunately rare here in the states is the Lancashire Heeler.  Basically cattlemen drove their herds through the area and their Corgie type dogs bred with the local black-and-tan terriers.  The resulting pups were put to good use by the local farmers and a breed developed of small, short legged (but not super-short) herding dogs.   They have the brains of a herding dog and the size of a terrier.

It is one of the breeds I'd be interested in owning one day.

I do hope that the show-ring people recognize that structurally, their dog is in a great spot of being not too extreme and that they avoid the temptation to breed for shorter and shorter legs and/or longer and longer body.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top