Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
We are thinking about taking in a yellow lab from a woman who says she does not have time for him. He ran out of her front door and knocked a kid off of a bike. We live in the country so that wouldn't be as much of an issue for us although we do have neighbors 1/4 mi in either direction. We also have a 1 year old son and chickens.

I have no experience with labs. She said he is very hyperactive. At 18 months will we be able to train him to stay home and come to us when we call if we try to play fetch in the yard? Its my understanding that labs are generally pretty good with children is that correct?

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds to me like that dog just needs a place to run and a kid to play with.  Go for it.  Should be a great dog and good addition to the family.  Don't worry, except maybe for the chickens getting chased around a little.  After a couple years, your boy and that dog will be inseparable.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Labs can be high drive / high energy.  My old guy at that age cleared a six foot fence to get out of the yard when he saw the neighbor's cat.  He also loved people and was great with kids, and would fetch a damned tennis ball or frisbee all day.

They are very trainable and aim to please, they just need a job.  It's up to you to teach him that his job does not include chasing the chickens.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My yellow Lab is 17 months old.  Never had Labs. He's 95 lbs of muscle and energy. Had a vet appointement a couple of weeks ago and he had the vet on the floor licking his face.  Mellow with just me, but goes kinda crazy with any external stimuli--like another person, or a rabbit.  Easily the smartest dog I've ever had, and I've had a few. Very affectiionate.

Local Lab owners tell me it takes three years for them to become ready for prime time. Be ready for a HANDFUL.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds to me like that dog just needs a place to run and a kid to play with.  Go for it.  Should be a great dog and good addition to the family.  Don't worry, except maybe for the chickens getting chased around a little.  After a couple years, your boy and that dog will be inseparable.
View Quote

This is what I'm hoping for.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We are thinking about taking in a yellow lab from a woman who says she does not have time for him. He ran out of her front door and knocked a kid off of a bike. We live in the country so that wouldn't be as much of an issue for us although we do have neighbors 1/4 mi in either direction. We also have a 1 year old son and chickens.

I have no experience with labs. She said he is very hyperactive. At 18 months will we be able to train him to stay home and come to us when we call if we try to play fetch in the yard? Its my understanding that labs are generally pretty good with children is that correct?

Thanks for the input.
View Quote

At 18 months, you can train him to do anything in the world, if you're willing to do the training.

Most labs are pretty hyper, they're a breed that need a bit of activity.  Give them the activity, and it will go a long way toward making them happy.

Keep in mind that when the previous owner "didn't have enough time for them", it usually means that they couldn't be bothered to do ANY training, probably not even house training.  Also, keep in mind that previous owners always lie.  "Yeah, he's totally house trained!" really means "You could probably house train him."  Be ready to start from square 1, if needed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At 18 months, you can train him to do anything in the world, if you're willing to do the training.

Most labs are pretty hyper, they're a breed that need a bit of activity.  Give them the activity, and it will go a long way toward making them happy.

Keep in mind that when the previous owner "didn't have enough time for them", it usually means that they couldn't be bothered to do ANY training, probably not even house training.  Also, keep in mind that previous owners always lie.  "Yeah, he's totally house trained!" really means "You could probably house train him."  Be ready to start from square 1, if needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.

I agree with this assessment.  Labs are damn cute as pups, but many people look at the calmer, overweight, lazy labs and think "that is the dog I want."  They don't know what to do with the young pup that is full of piss and vinegar.  If you truly have the time to dedicate to training and give him an hour or so of exercise a day, you should be fine.  Realize though that a lab can be a big dog, your one year old is likely to get knocked down, bumped and bruised from time to time.  That tail will be at eye levels while he is learning to walk.

imho, boys and dogs go together like peanut butter and jelly.  We have had a dog since my oldest was about 4.  He has always gravitated to them.  My one year old GSP sleeps in my son's room every night.  That dog is ready for bed at 9pm most nights.  Often my son will just grab the dog when he looks sleepy and it is off to bed for the both of them.  Kind of cute.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a yellow lab about 4 years old now. Got him before we had children but from when they were both brought home and forward he's been a constant source of entertainment and love for the both of them. He lets them crawl all over him, pull his hair, ears, tails, occasionally gets an eye gouged from an excited baby and doesn't even acknowledge it. Great family dog, great dog to run with and keep everyone company.

As with any dog, a solid foundation of obedience training as far as the basics are concerned are crucial but labs excel at that and much more. Aside from that, as long as you have something for him to retrieve  he'll be happy as a clam. The biggest thing I've noticed is that they absolutely thrive on approval and praise. Its what makes them tick. They can be a handful form time to time, but again, their whole goal in life is to please. As long as you and the family give him an hour or two of fetch a day, a good walk or run, he'll be easy to do anything with.

I say take him in, give it a couple weeks and you'll have a loyal, irreplaceable family member.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:52:43 PM EDT
[#9]
All Labs are hyperactive until about 2 years old or more. A sign of an intelligent dog is how long they take to mature--look at how long it takes humans to mature. Their brains are malliable for a longer period of time, so they can learn more I think. Anyways, under two is still young enough to easily train, and get it into a good healthy routine. That said, if the dog has been tied to a tree or similar, then it could be difficult to train. You'll definitely want to enroll in a real training school, not a course taught out of the local pet store by a teenage employee reading a script.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After a couple years, your boy and that dog will be inseparable.
View Quote

I've never met a yellow lab that everyone didn't love, and needless to say I've met quite a few.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#11]
since you have a one year old , I highly suggest you check for food aggression . Simple thing to do , put down the dogs dinner pet him while he eats, see if he growls . if not work on moving his bowl while eating. Be ready to move fast if he snaps at you.

A lot of little ones get bit, they don't understand food aggression. the dog is eating they approach and are at face level when they grab the bowl
We have taken in from rescues 3 Rottweiler's over the years. First thing I have tested for was food aggression, yelling at my kids to see their reaction and pick in up and playing with the kids. A lot of folks pick up their kids and do the old throw them up and catch them thing. Some dogs get freaked out by this. Simulate discipline of your child, or fast hand movements with your voice raised as if yelling or arguing with your family members.

I did the above with a male Rottie, we were amazed at his reaction. he was across the pen, trotted over all stern looking wiggled between us and started nudging and licking everyone's hands. He the proceeded to flop by our feet and go belly up. NOT the reaction youe would think of by the way he was approaching us, he looked like all business...Low and behold he came home and became a great part of our family .

Point is, the person who owns the dog now can make up any story. Your little rug bug is the one who could receive the hurt if the person lies.

Temperament testing, do a search its very simple to do.

Just my input, I hope he works out dogs are great additions to any family.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top