Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2014 1:09:41 AM EDT
Have a friend with a 2yo female GSD, she's healthy as far as exercise and activity goes, but looks very thin.
He gives her food at will (dry) feeds her canned as a treat, and table scraps on occasion.
She has been tested for worms (negative), but she just doesn't seem to put on weight.
Is there anything he should do to try and increase her weight, or is it something that age and time will cure?
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't pretend to be an expert but is he feeding her grocery store food like Purina crap or is he using a quality food?  I noticed a huge difference in my dog from switching to "real" dog food.  Check out brands like A Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen, etc.  Even the higher end stuff at a pet store isn't usually that great.   I have to go to non chain pet stores to find Acana for my dog, but Tractor Supply sells TOTW which is an excellent food and not ridiculous priced.

I would have him ask the vet what they think, it could just be the way the dog is wired.

Also don't feed a dog table scraps.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Higher protein and fat. Switch to a Puppy or small dog food. They are more nutrient dense.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have any pics of the dog? What many people consider too thin is a healthy weight for dogs.
I've had dogs that where difficult to put weight on until they reached the age of 4 or so.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have any pics of the dog? What many people consider too thin is a healthy weight for dogs.
I've had dogs that where difficult to put weight on until they reached the age of 4 or so.
View Quote

This.  The uninitiated frequently thing a healthy dog is too thin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:20:30 AM EDT
[#5]
No I don't.
I'll try and get a few tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was going to post this.

Dogs should be 'lean'.  You should be able to easily see the ribs.

Dogs bodies should generally remind you of a Kenyan Marathon Runner...extremely lean, thin, muscular, and not an ounce of extra fat.  Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't look like someone just liberated from a Nazi Death Camp, a walking skeleton where the body burning it's own muscle to survive.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dogs bodies should generally remind you of a Kenyan Marathon Runner...extremely lean, thin, muscular, and not an ounce of extra fat.  Don't get me wrong, it shouldn't look like someone just liberated from a Nazi Death Camp, a walking skeleton where the body burning it's own muscle to survive.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Ideal weight" may vary from breed to breed and by owner and purpose. e.g. I don't like to easily see ribs in most breeds like Akoda does. My guide is touch. If I place my hand gently and flat on a dog's side I don't want to feel ribs. Gently move my hand back and forth and feel ribs? Perfect. If I have to curve my hand to feel ribs wih my finger tips? Fat. Is it an English Pointer? Yeah, you'll see ribs. Cold weather retriever with a long coat? Not so much. One thing seems to hold true, a dog that is 1-2 pounds under weight will live longer and healthier than one that is over weight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Ideal weight" may vary from breed to breed and by owner and purpose. e.g. I don't like to easily see ribs in most breeds like Akoda does. My guide is touch. If I place my hand gently and flat on a dog's side I don't want to feel ribs. Gently move my hand back and forth and feel ribs? Perfect. If I have to curve my hand to feel ribs wih my finger tips? Fat. Is it an English Pointer? Yeah, you'll see ribs. Cold weather retriever with a long coat? Not so much. One thing seems to hold true, a dog that is 1-2 pounds under weight will live longer and healthier than one that is over weight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you are correct.

I was being a bit aggressive with my definition to make a point.  It was a combination of hoping that when you post a 55 MPH speed limit most people drive around 60, and also to assure people who DO see ribs that seeing ribs is often normal and not a red flag, not without a lot of other things coming into play.

Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Butter.

My dogs love and will steal it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish I could control my weight as easily as I do for my dogs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Only way I was able to put weight in my 4 yr old mal was to add pasta to her meals. Depending on the time of year her weight fluxuates 5-8 lbs.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top