Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 8:30:51 PM EDT
I bought his Ray Allen modular extreme duty harness for my pup.    I've got a blinker attached to it for our night rides and walks.    

My question is what is the proper fit to keep this from rubbing him.   It seems the large buckle on the left side bothers him a bit.   I loosened the front a bit to try to get it a little further back on him, but it seems to want to ride forward.   Are both straps supposed to be snug, or a little loose or what?  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CXJ2DQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may purchase more lights for it, as I want to make sure people see us at night in the dark roads.   Between my bike and him we are going to look like a Christmas tree on the move.   I moved the light to the left side panel after our walk tonight.    I think it will be more visible there, and gets it off and away from the handle, which works pretty damn well for lifting my little 85lb pup.  
I slapped an arfcom patch on it for pictures
</a> IMG_20141115_125054_140 by guns762, on Flickr" />

</a> IMG_20141115_125122_072 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the LLC harness from Ray Allen and had some fitment issues also. I got the chest plate adaptor which solved the problem. I'll look at the harness you have and see if it's the same sort of problem and report back.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
So a good frien of mine uses the same harness for his Mal and uses the chest plate adaptor. $20 from Ray Allen or others. It keeps it more centered and in place. I don't keep the harness too snug so it won't ride up. Hopefully this helps. I wish I was closer and could just loan you the attachment to tryout. It will hopefully solve your issues. If for some reason you buy it and it doesn't work let me know and I'll buy it off you for purchase price for another harness I have.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So a good frien of mine uses the same harness for his Mal and uses the chest plate adaptor. $20 from Ray Allen or others. It keeps it more centered and in place. I don't keep the harness too snug so it won't ride up. Hopefully this helps. I wish I was closer and could just loan you the attachment to tryout. It will hopefully solve your issues. If for some reason you buy it and it doesn't work let me know and I'll buy it off you for purchase price for another harness I have.
View Quote

Thanks.

I'm not even sure it's a problem..  It just seemed to bother him a bit where the buckle is.   I'm just too ignorant to know how exactly it should fit.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Have him wear it while hanging out at home and In the car. If you aren't sure grab the chest plate if that doesn't work ship it to me and I'll make it right. One of those solutions should do it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]
eta: Great looking dog and harness, OP!

I am by no means a "dog handler", however I do buy "tactical" harnesses for my pups. I don't use them for control, but they are, as the OP has mentioned above, great for hanging lights on your dog and providing visibility in general. They also take 3 seconds to put on instead of a cloth type dog jacket and are more versatile if you've got webbing on them.

In terms of fit I always go very loose. This seems to make for more comfort, particularly if they are wearing them all day like my dogs do (they have run of my large spread and it's hunting season right now). Again I'm not using them for control, only visibility.

Here's my 10 month old Akita pup wearing his. You can see that it's loose enough that it has shifted over to his left side a bit. He's also still growing into it, but I prefer it sized so that the belly strap is not so close to the forelegs and he will not get much bigger than this.

This is the second one I've got from Canine Outfitters. The first one is over 8 years old and still looks brand new if a bit faded. Geoff will build you whatever you want. I was the first customer to ask him for Molle webbing 8 years ago and he put it onto his option list This one has the Cordura filler panels, reflective straps and Geoff did the Molle in grey for me to match the reflective stuff.

If you are hanging lights on your dog's vest, consider also putting on some "nav lights", i.e. hang a red on the left (port) side and a green one on the right (starboard) side. It make it soooo much easier to tell if your dog is coming or going at night. That's not a joke, by the way, I actually do this!

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
eta: Great looking dog and harness, OP!

I am by no means a "dog handler", however I do buy "tactical" harnesses for my pups. I don't use them for control, but they are, as the OP has mentioned above, great for hanging lights on your dog and providing visibility in general. They also take 3 seconds to put on instead of a cloth type dog jacket and are more versatile if you've got webbing on them.

In terms of fit I always go very loose. This seems to make for more comfort, particularly if they are wearing them all day like my dogs do (they have run of my large spread and it's hunting season right now). Again I'm not using them for control, only visibility.

Here's my 10 month old Akita pup wearing his. You can see that it's loose enough that it has shifted over to his left side a bit. He's also still growing into it, but I prefer it sized so that the belly strap is not so close to the forelegs and he will not get much bigger than this.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7500/15616766439_195d7c7e0f_b.jpg

This is the second one I've got from Canine Outfitters. The first one is over 8 years old and still looks brand new if a bit faded. Geoff will build you whatever you want. I was the first customer to ask him for Molle webbing 8 years ago and he put it onto his option list This one has the Cordura filler panels, reflective straps and Geoff did the Molle in grey for me to match the reflective stuff.

If you are hanging lights on your dog's vest, consider also putting on some "nav lights", i.e. hang a red on the left (port) side and a green one on the right (starboard) side. It make it soooo much easier to tell if your dog is coming or going at night. That's not a joke, by the way, I actually do this!

View Quote

Thanks for the info and link.   Fantastic looking Akita, BTW.    He looks like a monster.  

I love the idea of the nav lights. I would have purchased "red" but the damn price was double the yellow.    They do have green too, so I'll grab them when the price isn't so insane.   Amazon is the devil.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
10.5 months now and 100lbs!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Harness seems to be working well.   He doesn't fight with it and I haven't seen any rub marks yet.   We went 4.5 miles this afternoon.    The other night a lady turned around and came to check on us and see if we needed help,   She didn't see Cain, only his blinker and my flashlight.    Ooops.  

</a> IMG_20141123_161404_664 by guns762, on Flickr" />

IMG_20141123_161545_980 by guns762, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Right on! Thanks for the update Guns.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top