Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:57:34 PM EDT
I have to say, I was never much of a cat person, until this one came into my life.

She was a tiny Tuxedo stray that would hang around the barn, and yard and hunt mice, stalk birds, and avoid people. One afternoon in about 2001, I noticed she had kittens. I started feeding her then, because I thought she needed some better nutrition for her new family.

To make a long story shorter, I ended up trapping her and her 2 kittens in have a heart traps. I took them to the vet to get spayed, neutered, and rabies shots, then released them back into the barn. The kittens ended up wandering away, or taken by 'yotes, but she hung around. I kept feeding her, and tried to pet her, but she never would let me. This went on for 2 years...then one cold afternoon, I just grabbed her while she was eating some tuna out of a can, and brought her inside.

She freaked out for about 4 days, and hid, always remaining silent. I gave her a small litter box, and she used it. After about a week, she relaxed and soon became a lap cat. She remained silent for another year, and then finally began purring, and meowing when I spoke to her.

She was very dog like. She no longer used the litter box, instead she would scratch to go outside, and then scratch to come back inside hours later. She preferred to be outside, unless it was very cold and snowy, but always slept inside. She got so tame/trained, that she would even come to me when I called her from outside. She continued to hunt, and remained a tiny little 7lb cat. She had no fear of dogs, she wouldn't run away, and would stand her ground and swat the heck out of my Vizslas if she felt bothered by them. They didn't mess with her

She passed away today, in seemingly, perfect health with nearly the same vigor she had the first day I saw her. I think she must have been at least 16 years old.

I'm going to miss this cat. Rest in peace Bandit...you gave me much joy, and entertainment over the years.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain op I've been there a few times between the dogs and cats in my life. Yea they're just animals but not when they make you smile and enjoy life that much more..
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Always sad to lose a four-footed family member.
please see    rainbowbridge.com
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry for your loss OP.

We lost one of our kittys this week, too.

Sad times.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Feel your loss.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]

RIP Kitteh.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry OP
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry for your loss.
I have lost many over the years, it is never easy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry for your loss.  My 16 year old cat is in my lap right now.  He has been my Shadow since he was
about 6 months old.   He's is getting frail, and is mostly deaf.  

I don't want to face the day I have to write one of these posts.

Again,OP, my condolences on the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 1:04:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

RIP Kitteh.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry to hear, man...
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for your loss OP.

We lost one of our kittys this week, too.

Sad times.
View Quote

Sorry for both your losses.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry for your loss sir.. Sounded like a great cat. 16 years is a blessing, I think..
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#14]
RIP little one, you had the best of both worlds - a loving home and the freedom to live your life as you wanted.

My "old girl" is on top of my monitor right now (I still have a CRT), and at almost 12 years I know she's past the halfway point. She's outlived her brother (whom I also had), most of the kittens she had before I had her spayed, and 6 or 7 other cats that I've had in the past 12 years. She's the most mellow, stable cat I've ever seen, and doesn't get upset at anything but new cats. I'd almost prefer that she outlived me (I'm 46) so I don't have to deal with losing another one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have to say, I was never much of a cat person, until this one came into my life.

She was a tiny Tuxedo stray that would hang around the barn, and yard and hunt mice, stalk birds, and avoid people. One afternoon in about 2001, I noticed she had kittens. I started feeding her then, because I thought she needed some better nutrition for her new family.

To make a long story shorter, I ended up trapping her and her 2 kittens in have a heart traps. I took them to the vet to get spayed, neutered, and rabies shots, then released them back into the barn. The kittens ended up wandering away, or taken by 'yotes, but she hung around. I kept feeding her, and tried to pet her, but she never would let me. This went on for 2 years...then one cold afternoon, I just grabbed her while she was eating some tuna out of a can, and brought her inside.

She freaked out for about 4 days, and hid, always remaining silent. I gave her a small litter box, and she used it. After about a week, she relaxed and soon became a lap cat. She remained silent for another year, and then finally began purring, and meowing when I spoke to her.

She was very dog like. She no longer used the litter box, instead she would scratch to go outside, and then scratch to come back inside hours later. She preferred to be outside, unless it was very cold and snowy, but always slept inside. She got so tame/trained, that she would even come to me when I called her from outside. She continued to hunt, and remained a tiny little 7lb cat. She had no fear of dogs, she wouldn't run away, and would stand her ground and swat the heck out of my Vizslas if she felt bothered by them. They didn't mess with her

She passed away today, in seemingly, perfect health with nearly the same vigor she had the first day I saw her. I think she must have been at least 16 years old.

I'm going to miss this cat. Rest in peace Bandit...you gave me much joy, and entertainment over the years.
View Quote

As you did for her OP. Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
sorry to hear that. My girl just put her cat down yesterday.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:00:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:46:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm so sorry OP. We just lost our kitty Bizkit after 16 years of awesome.  

I didn't realize how upset my family, especially I, would get.  

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:25:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry for your loss OP.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top