Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 10/26/2014 1:47:23 PM EDT
So my wife really wanted a dog, I was all for it and she then told me that a friend of a friend who does rescue had two Ridgebacks (they are mixes, you can really see a lot of Healer in the male, the female really looks like a Ridgeback though). Well after meeting them and playing with them for about an hour at the lady's house I decided we would take both of them home (brother and sister, never been separated, I couldnt bring myself to separate them and as we have a half acre I figured we would have enough room for them both). So we get them home and they are settling in nicely, our Norwegian Forest Cat still hasnt come up to them and is watching from afar, but the dogs are not aggressive towards the cat so I figure we will be good to go in time.
Anyway so far I am really enjoying these pups, they are so sweet. However when they play it is amazing, I can really see how these dogs would have been able to take down lions and such, they are INTENSE. But even when they are really getting at it, you can walk up to them and they will stop, sit down, and be calm. These two are some seriously amazing dogs, WAY better than any of the Labs I have had in the past...
Anyway here they are, Clara with the black snout, and Cade with the white snout.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]

they look so nice.

Better then Labs, how so?

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I love Rhodes.  Be aware though, they are very intelligent, and more than working dogs that need a lot of excercise, they need to "problem solve" (at least from what I've read/heard) so they still need interaction with you.

Keep us posted!  Even now I wonder why I don't get one myself
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful pair. Thanks for giving them a loving home!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#5]
So cute, sharing the same floor pillow! They are both beauties. Are you sure they are not part boxer?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
They are better behaved than the Labs I have had, they are only 8 months old and honestly are more controllable than and listen better than my last lab. (not to say labs are bad, I still LOVE Labs too, these guys just seem smarter and more mellow). As far as problem solving, the lady we got them from suggested we get some puzzle toys for them, and we have the old stand by Kongs for both that we fill with peanut butter for em. As far as other breads they could be mixed with, I dont know. They do have the temperament and some features of the Rhodesian, so we are thinking thats the dominant breed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh and also, neither one of them bats an eye at the slide being dropped on a pistol, my last lab would freak out at that sound. So they are at least not afraid of guns. I am thinking after we get bonded a bit I may take them out and see how they do with shooting...
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Love Ridgebacks.

You just have to let them know who's boss.  Do that and they can be nearly perfect dogs.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
great looking pups!

my wife wanted a ridgeback - we don't have the yard for it
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice save!
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Good looking dogs OP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

they look so nice.

View Quote

Labs have some great features.  They are very good natured and are very eager to please...but they can be bone-head dumb, and when you get a dog that is smarter than average after experiencing labs, it really is evident when your smart dog is using his brain.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Labs have some great features.  They are very good natured and are very eager to please...but they can be bone-head dumb, and when you get a dog that is smarter than average after experiencing labs, it really is evident when your smart dog is using his brain.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
they look so nice.

I have to agree with this. I had 2 Labs and they were both sweet and well meaning, but dumb as a box of rocks.
My Great Dane was much smarter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Good looking pupparoos.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]
congrats! Good job on the rescue, and keeping them together!
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top