Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 10/19/2014 12:55:44 AM EDT
My girlfriend has a box turtle and it's developed a sore on its cheek, at the corner of its mouth, recently.

It's been really active, which I guess is a result of the changing season, and I kinda think it scratched itself.

Should we consult a vet?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics of both to help decide. Reptiles have pretty good immune systems. I'd smear a little Polysporin on it twice a day for a few days and see if that clears it up. Also look for anything sharp in its enclosure that it could be scraping his face on.

ETA: How long has it been in captivity? All my box turtles are wild so my mind didn't go to the problems of a "pet" turtle. Diet, humidity, access to sunlight, proper humidity and even a lack of hibernation can lead to problems.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top