Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2014 2:03:44 PM EDT
I have a 16 month old male.  He has been neutered and had an undescended testicle.

I think he has a dominance/submissive problem.  If I raise my voice to my kids, wife, pissed off at a football game, or just call him when he knows he's done wrong he will cowar and piss.  He does this even if I'm sweet talking, and stooping down to his level to pet him and call him a good boy.  I come from under his chin to pet instead of top of the head so as not to be to dominating.

Example.  Last night he was on the bed.  No big deal.  I said, Sarge, come.  Wanted him off the bed so we could go to sleep.  I called twice then walked over to him.  He pissed on the bed.  I maintained my composure and said nothing to him and pulled him off the bed and he continued to piss.

Sometimes he will just look like he's cowaring for no reason.  If I look at him he will lay down and piss.

He's well housebroken, it's not a, hey I gotta go pee accident.  It's a deliberate/subconscious act and the only answer I can come up with is he's scared.

What can I do?  If it keeps up I have no choice but to take him to my mom and relegate him to outside security at our farm.  I won't let my wood floors be ruined.  I love this big guy but I'm almost at wits end.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to start a positive based training regimen. He needs a confidence boost, and training will help that. No more raising your voice. Not to your family or your dog or the TV.

Lots of calm, quiet praise for doing the right thing. No response if he does the wrong thing. You have what's known as a "soft" dog, and you need to modify your training and attitude to suit him if you want to keep him. You have to decide if he's worth it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to start a positive based training regimen. He needs a confidence boost, and training will help that. No more raising your voice. Not to your family or your dog or the TV.

Lots of calm, quiet praise for doing the right thing. No response if he does the wrong thing. You have what's known as a "soft" dog, and you need to modify your training and attitude to suit him if you want to keep him. You have to decide if he's worth it.
View Quote

He has been obedience trained with positive reward.  Including house breaking.  No scolding or swatting on the butt.

I have been ignoring him when he cowars or does wrong.  I don't say a word or even look at him.  I do praise and treat when he does good.  He must be really soft; it seems like he carries it with him until finally he gets attention and even when it's praise he will piss.  Distracting kind of works.  This morning he was acting submissive.  I didn't look at him or even talk to him.  I asked if he wanted to go out, he did and when he came back in it wasn't as bad, so I gave him his vitamin treats and it seems as though all was good.

By no means am I harsh or mean towards him.  When I say holler at him it's in a corrective measure.  As in, Sarge, Leave it!  When he sticks his head in the trash, etc.  Sarge, NO!  When he attempts to assasinate a kids toy or consume a harmful object, such as a lego, popsicle stick, table leg, blanket, etc  Yes, he's tried to eat all of those

ETA:  By the way, thanks for chiming in.  I've seen that you are pretty well versed in dogs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

By no means am I harsh or mean towards him.  When I say holler at him it's in a corrective measure.  As in, Sarge, Leave it!  When he sticks his head in the trash, etc.  Sarge, NO!  When he attempts to assasinate a kids toy or consume a harmful object, such as a lego, popsicle stick, table leg, blanket, etc  Yes, he's tried to eat all of those

ETA:  By the way, thanks for chiming in.  I've seen that you are pretty well versed in dogs.
View Quote

The distracting thing is an excellent technique. It gives a no-pressure opportunity to succeed.

Also, instead of correcting him in a harsh tone (even if your voice isn't raised), try a sing-song, happy command instead. Then trade what he has for something awesome (like a food reward), or calm quiet praise when he stops doing what you don't want him to do.

Basically, switch to a correctionless training method, at least for a while. Sometimes dogs go through phases where they get soft, and then harden back up. Sort of like teens going through moody, emo stages.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]
He could be going through a fear stage. My Mal did. She was scared of the weirdest stuff for a couple months. I just slowly introduced things to her that she was afraid of and gradually exposed her to more of it. As she got more comfortable I would take it further each step.

Since he is scared of being told to do things start outdoors and ramp up your tone and make sure and give him lots of love but also rough-house with him while instructing. He will get used to louder/more deliberate commands and not cower.  

Disclaimer: This worked for me but Im not responsible for more pee on the bed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The distracting thing is an excellent technique. It gives a no-pressure opportunity to succeed.

Also, instead of correcting him in a harsh tone (even if your voice isn't raised), try a sing-song, happy command instead. Then trade what he has for something awesome (like a food reward), or calm quiet praise when he stops doing what you don't want him to do.

Basically, switch to a correctionless training method, at least for a while. Sometimes dogs go through phases where they get soft, and then harden back up. Sort of like teens going through moody, emo stages.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll give it a shot.  Like I said, love the big guy and he's worth a training technique change.  What sucks is when he cowars and the will lay down.  If I walk near him he pisses.  If I pet him he pisses.  So, I'm going to try just leaving him alone.  He will approach after awhile, but guess what?  He pisses when interacted with.

When he was at training they said he was very submissive.  I didn't think it would be this bad.  Hopefully you're right and he'll harden up a little and turn off the crotch faucet.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He could be going through a fear stage. My Mal did. She was scared of the weirdest stuff for a couple months. I just slowly introduced things to her that she was afraid of and gradually exposed her to more of it. As she got more comfortable I would take it further each step.

Since he is scared of being told to do things start outdoors and ramp up your tone and make sure and give him lots of love but also rough-house with him while instructing. He will get used to louder/more deliberate commands and not cower.  

Disclaimer: This worked for me but Im not responsible for more pee on the bed.
View Quote

That's what has me agreeing with Naamath that it might be a phase.  He went to a well respected K9 handler who trains police and .mil dogs for everything from tracking and dope, to bombs and biting.  He comes on command with no problem.  It's only when he's scared or thinks he's done wrong that he pisses.  

I'll be on the couch and call him, and he comes trotting and he jumps in my lap no problem.  It seems to be an issue like I said when he feels like he's in trouble.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My first Rottweiler went through a spell like this also. The advice you got above is solid and should work for you. Mine came out of it after a few months. Good luck to you and Sarge!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
My female went through a short stage like this too. Frustrating but recoverable.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top