Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 9/26/2014 1:57:21 PM EDT
Alright help me out - I need a dog that's a family pet (we have 2 cats), guards my daughter after school, and won't go crazy for the 8 hrs it may be home along during the day.  I don't have a lot of land.

Am I screwed?  Does that dog even exist?  My daughter just hit middle school and will be home alone an hour or more and I don't feel comfortable with it.

Help!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#1]
German Shepard..and ANY dog is going to need a mile or 2 a day for an average stroll if you're a
Suburbanite.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
We have a 120 # cuddle shepard for that, he would die to prevent anything to happen to HurricaineAllie, but they are better in twos, they need to play, so we got helldog as his little brother
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd vote for a lab. My shepherd is too curious to get along with the cats.

Whatever you choose, you'll have to exercise it regularly to keep it from being neurotic while you're gone, especially with the small yard.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
weimaraner. very protective, very family oriented , short haired for shedding, very loyal
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Golden Retriever, just leave the animal channel on and leave him some popcorn while you are gone
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Corgie or other herding dog
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in a very nice little subdivision that borders a national park on one side and a protected watershed on the other.  So there will be no more growth here, and there are lots of opportunities to get outside, so daily exercise isn't a problem.  I'm not looking to get any apartment dog or anything.

I am mostly concerned about leaving it alone for the bulk of the day without it becoming neurotic or something, I suppose.  And my daughter's two cats... it can't eat them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Several breeds would fit that bill - IF - you can deal with the first 12-18 months of crazy puppy stage.
If you keep in mind your goal is the perfect dog 2 years from now, then you'll be ok.  
Otherwise you'll be frustrated in 12 months thinking you've made a huge mistake!
ETA:  you might also consider getting two - litter mates.  They will help keep each other from being bored (and how) plus they tend to be braver in their defense role.
My two beasties from a few months ago - just turned a year now and are at 90+ lbs each.
They are just now starting to mellow into the dogs we want!  

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, any good guard breed will tear shit up for the first two years. I have a Ridgeback. Excellent watchdog and loves, I mean LOVES my family and pretty much hates anyone not living in the house. He's about 120 lbs (yeah he's a big one) and has the easiest coat to maintain ever.

But for 2 years he ate my patio furniture and a picnic table plus anything else he could get his jaws on.

After 2 he's the perfect dog. You'll probably have the same result with a GSD or other breed. Retrievers are great but no so hot as watchdogs. They just love everyone. Ridgies get my vote. Another breed for colder climates would be a Bernese mountain dog, maybe the most beautiful dog ever. But too hot here and I like not having to brush the beast.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a fan if Rhodesian ridgebacks. Originally bred to fight with lions
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Corgie or other herding dog
View Quote

Australian Shepherd. Word!
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

EDIT - GSD?  German Sheppard??  If so, do you put them in a kennel as puppies during the day?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

EDIT - GSD?  German Sheppard??  If so, do you put them in a kennel as puppies during the day?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you can cage them to house break them. After that they love their cage (crate) as a den and will go in there to nap
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Fiercely loyal, But needs a job, something to do.
First 2 yrs of his life he stayed crated when no one was home. They say a Catahoula will eat you house.
Plenty of chew toys to keep him occupied. He is out free to roam the house now, no issues at all
He is fearless against other dogs and hogs and is guarded with people he doesn't know. He sizes them up first
If anyone tried to mess with his momma he would be all over them
Best damn dog ever and we've had a few
" />
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, another "I want the perfect dog thread". Here's a pointer to the last one of these, which wasn't too long ago. Start on Page 2:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_154/1631985_After_seeing_this_vid_I_now_want_a_German_Shepard.html&page=2

Also, 8 hours home alone is really tough on big, smart, athletic dogs. At the very least you should consider a mid-day let-out/walking service.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
if we are talking breeds then there is a list as long as my arm of good candidates.  On the top of the list would be Rottweilers, Boxers, Catahoula Leopard Dogs, & German Shepherds.

However, breeds of dog aren't like buying cereals, where each box is the same as the next.  There is a terrible large variety within each given breed, and two different breeders each with their favorite breed breeding for the same purpose generally have dogs that are more similar than two breeders breeding the same breed for different purposes.

In the end, it comes down to the right individual dog.  And here's where you've stepped into a great opportunity.  AR-15 is running a dog rescue where a very dog savy (Joker1) individual keeps his eye out for shelter dogs that meet both his personal screening and the specific needs of an individual Arfcommer.  It is then taken from the shelter and Joker1 works with it, and then transport is found to deliver the dog to the new owner.  THIS IS YOUR BEST SOLUTION.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I will go a bit against the grain and tell you to look at some of the larger, lazier breeds.

The Leonberger and Newfoundland immediately come to mind. They are large and imposing enough to make anyone think twice about messing with your daughter, but aren't nearly as energetic and driven as many of the working and herding breeds. They are also fairly gentle and not as likely to view your cats as chew toys.

Leonberger

Newfoundland

The thing to remember is that no dog is going to be perfect right off the bat. They need to be trained to know what is and is not acceptable behavior. They will be energetic and destructive for the first 2 years. Also, 8 hours at home alone is too much for any puppy. If that is to be the normal for the dog, I suggest dog daycare or dog walker. If you can't do something like that, you need to make plans for how the puppy will be able to take potty breaks during the day, because until a puppy is about a year old, it won't physically capable of holding it for that long.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
if we are talking breeds then there is a list as long as my arm of good candidates.  On the top of the list would be Rottweilers, Boxers, Catahoula Leopard Dogs, & German Shepherds.

However, breeds of dog aren't like buying cereals, where each box is the same as the next.  There is a terrible large variety within each given breed, and two different breeders each with their favorite breed breeding for the same purpose generally have dogs that are more similar than two breeders breeding the same breed for different purposes.

In the end, it comes down to the right individual dog.  And here's where you've stepped into a great opportunity.  AR-15 is running a dog rescue where a very dog savy (Joker1) individual keeps his eye out for shelter dogs that meet both his personal screening and the specific needs of an individual Arfcommer.  It is then taken from the shelter and Joker1 works with it, and then transport is found to deliver the dog to the new owner.  THIS IS YOUR BEST SOLUTION.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1655092_Semper_Fi_Dog_Rescue__FluffyTheCat___Update_Pg_6__More_Success__.html&page=8

View Quote

Wow, I didn't know that thread even existed, thanks! I guess I need to go slummin' and read GD more often Maybe there needs to be a sticky that points to it at the top of this forum?

Lowcash: listen to Akodo and Naamah. I particularly like Naamah's idea of a Leo or Newfie.

Another important point to consider if you do wind up with a dog with more protective spirit is that no kids roughhousing in front of the dog will be an important rule. People get a dog as a guardian and then act all surprised when it actually does its job, resulting in a bite, usually to another child. The next thing you know that dog is being re-homed by a judge's order, or worse, being put down. Be cautious. Dogs are semi-autonomous at best. The more protective a dog is the more carefully it must be managed, which means that training your family to manage the dog is very important. Don't just assume the dog will naturally know what to do in every situation. What happens all the time in the movies only happens rarely in real life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow, I didn't know that thread even existed, thanks! I guess I need to go slummin' and read GD more often Maybe there needs to be a sticky that points to it at the top of this forum?

Lowcash: listen to Akodo and Naamah. I particularly like Naamah's idea of a Leo or Newfie.

Another important point to consider if you do wind up with a dog with more protective spirit is that no kids roughhousing in front of the dog will be an important rule. People get a dog as a guardian and then act all surprised when it actually does its job, resulting in a bite, usually to another child. The next thing you know that dog is being re-homed by a judge's order, or worse, being put down. Be cautious. Dogs are semi-autonomous at best. The more protective a dog is the more carefully it must be managed, which means that training your family to manage the dog is very important. Don't just assume the dog will naturally know what to do in every situation. What happens all the time in the movies only happens rarely in real life.
View Quote

Joker is doing good work.

I picked those two breeds because they present a large and imposing picture, but are sedate and widely known for being calm and gentle with children. They're also not known for being especially prone to chasing cats.

And you are spot on about the rough housing with kids. Even though my Doberman is very submissive in nature and absolutely doesn't question my or my husband's authority, when we are wrestling with our son she does her best to weasel her way in between us. She is trying to deflect our attention away from our son and onto her. It's not a dominance thing, but rather an attempt to protect him from potential harm. I wouldn't trust her not to intervene in a more forceful fashion if someone other than I or my husband were involved.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys - good suggestions all around.  Wife works nearby our house, and gets summers off, so she wants to wait until spring so she can get it out at least once so it's only alone for 4 hrs max at a time.  We're looking at both the Leonberger and a German Sheppard.  I think both might fit the bill but in different ways.  But then again, it appears many of these dogs would also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Fiercely loyal, But needs a job, something to do.
First 2 yrs of his life he stayed crated when no one was home. They say a Catahoula will eat you house.
Plenty of chew toys to keep him occupied. He is out free to roam the house now, no issues at all
He is fearless against other dogs and hogs and is guarded with people he doesn't know. He sizes them up first
If anyone tried to mess with his momma he would be all over them
Best damn dog ever and we've had a few
http://<a href=http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad233/gatkeper/037494D6-F970-4D14-9EC4-C0B8107C6A6A_zpsn5vb8zys.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That is a very fine looking dog and fits a lot of what we're looking for as a protector in our rural house. I don't want to hijack the thread but, we just lost our 14yo gsd mix and I'm researching different breeds. Does this breed have herding tendencies/ We have cows and horses next door behind an electric fence and some dogs just bolt and ignore you.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top