Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 6:41:30 PM EDT
We have a situation here at the house with my female, Grace.  Gracie came to us with some problems - she has very mild pectus excavatum, an overactive anal-gland issue, and she has a somewhat inverted vulva.  Our vet suggested that we let her go through a heat cycle because that can sometimes help the problem with her vulva.  She's 10 months old now, and went into heat about a week ago.

Enter our boy Ben.  Ben is about a year old, and he is also intact.  We haven't gotten Ben fixed because of what happened with his sister, Elli.  We originally got Ben and Elli at the same time. We took them in for spay/neuter at about 5 and a half months and Elli went into cardiac arrest and died from the anesthesia.  Since they were littermates, we are very reluctant to have him put under anesthesia and having something happen to him.

We had done a very good job keeping Ben and Gracie apart, and keeping panties on Gracie when we're all awake/together.  I'm sure you've worked out where this is going...  Yesterday, while my wife and I was asleep (I work nights and fell asleep) they managed to get together and get her panties off and then get together.  My wife came home to find them locked together in that way.

I've been reading that it's possible to have a female spayed while they're in heat.  I called the vet today to see if it would be possible to bring Gracie in and have her spayed before fertilization has taken place (her discharge is still fairly 'bloody', which if what I've read is correct indicates that she probably hasn't ovulated yet?).  The vet is recommending waiting three weeks.  If it's possible to have her spayed now, we'd rather do that than wait and have 6, 8, 10 unborn puppies aborted.

Anyway, looking for some advice on different ways to proceed.  

By the way - yes, we both feel like idiots.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats grandpa
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the risk is higher for the bitch while she is in heat due to swelling and blood engorged uterine horns.
There is also a form of morning after pill for dogs but that runs a very high risk of pyometra, a serious uterine infection. Years ago my vet suggested that the safest thing to do was have the pups and find them homes. That was a long time ago and things may have changed. By the way, I dodged a bullet and there were no pups.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies and PMs everyone.

I have an appointment for Gracie this morning with a vet who "specializes" in reproductive issues.  She's going to check Gracie out and then we'll discuss our options.

I appreciate the help from everyone.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, we took Gracie in for an ultrasound on Tuesday.

Gracie is preggers!  The ultrasound shows that she has two onboard.  So, puppies in about 4 to 5 weeks!

Gracie is doing well.  Ben is worried about paying Child support.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck on finding them homes!

I know many people that do keep intact males and females together without any unintentional breedings. In fact, most reputable breeders do so. Time to start looking into modifying how your dogs are kept if you plan to keep them both intact.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck on finding them homes!

I know many people that do keep intact males and females together without any unintentional breedings. In fact, most reputable breeders do so. Time to start looking into modifying how your dogs are kept if you plan to keep them both intact.
View Quote

Since it looks like we're having a small litter, we shouldn't have any problems.  I've already been getting requests.

We never had any intentions of leaving them both intact.  As I mentioned, the only reason we hadn't already gotten Gracie fixed was due to the vet's recommendation that letting her go through a heat cycle may help correct her vulva issue - which it seems to have worked.  She looks a lot more normal back there now.  Anyway, as soon as she's able after the puppies arrive, we'll be getting that taken care of.

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top