Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2014 2:04:29 AM EDT
I took over care of a yellow Ackie Monitor (Spiny tailed lizard),  a couple years back. I couldn't stand to see it treated the way it was being taken care of. Little food, bad environment....so on, and so on.

It's a tricky little animal to maintain and it needs a good home. I just don't know what to do at this point. I have tried the local university, some herp forum's and the like, but I just want this little dude to have a better home.

I can maintain, but that was never my plan. It needs a at leat a 3x4 on the surface with at least 2ft of dirt below it to burrow; and a ton of heat (lamps/lights). It should be fed live insects regularly.

How do I find a home for a rare lizard?

Also, it has lost some of it's tail and two toes from dehydration and will most likely not be a good partner/mate. Which seems to be the going motivation for buying monitors these days.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, he's not big enough to make a pair of boots out of...But maybe a nice concealed carry holster?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a new belt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
2 posts -- 2 ignores. Got to be a record.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:18:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Three?

Don't think his pattern is good boot/wallet/etc material anyway.

Local zoo?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#5]
How about letting your local herp club/society know about him. Might be able to adopt him out to someone that knows and is capable of dealing with it.

Not me...got rid of all the monitors years ago. Got tired of drywall repairs....damned blood monitors are stronger than they look  The rough neck monitors were a hoot too. Lots of fun trying to catch those idiots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember when those were going for over a grand.

Been awhile since I was in the Herp game, as soon as I get a new place I'm getting back into it.

If it wasn't for my building regs and the distance I would take it off your hands right now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that a plasma?  The pixel pattern doesn't look like LCD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Three?

Local zoo?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three?

Local zoo?

I will take no advice from someone who falls down. But I shall not ignore you! Your antics are to entertaining!

But cereal......
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Temperment?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Neat looking lizard OP. I honestly couldn't tell you. I know a guy who collects weird snakes, but I don't think he dabbles in lizards. Seems to be more work.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Call a local the AZ Herpetological Association.

ETA:  A-Zeppelin fan...not AZ-zeppelin fan.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Temperment?
View Quote
Even if he's not mellow, they tame pretty easily. Just have to know how to handle them, and don't be in a hurry.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even if he's not mellow, they tame pretty easily. Just have to know how to handle them, and don't be in a hurry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Temperment?

Yeah.. Ive always been a snake person, never into the monitors, lizards, or gekos.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How about letting your local herp club/society know about him. Might be able to adopt him out to someone that knows and is capable of dealing with it.

Not me...got rid of all the monitors years ago. Got tired of drywall repairs....damned blood monitors are stronger than they look  The rough neck monitors were a hoot too. Lots of fun trying to catch those idiots.
View Quote
I've had to catch escape artists known as Crocodile Monitors on multiple occasions. That was always fun.

Roughnecks were cake compared to those.

Full grown Argus monitors can be an adventure as well. Smart mofos with a wicked bite as adults.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey OP, maybe you can be the herp version of FluffyTheCat
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've exhausted those options over and over.  I don't even want money for this dude. I just want a stable owner that can feed it and heat it.

I'll pay for shipping and setup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:54 AM EDT
[#17]
1/10

Overcooked
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a Red Ackie. Those lizards are cool as hell and they don't get big. That one looks full grown. Feed it crickets and the occasional pinky mouse and it will be happy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will take no advice from someone who falls down. But I shall not ignore you! Your antics are to entertaining!

But cereal......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three?

Local zoo?

But cereal......

I was cereal...

And atleast I get up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've had to catch escape artists known as Crocodile Monitors on multiple occasions. That was always fun.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Full grown Argus monitors can be an adventure as well. Smart mofos with a wicked bite as adults.
Hehe, good times.

Try taming full grown golden tegus, fresh from the wild.

You will learn new words, continuously. And become well known in your local urgent care.

Crocodile monitors were too expensive back when, for me to consider them. Sold them, shipped them...but didn't want to own one.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Temperment?
View Quote

He goes limp as soon as you control it. As far as temperament with other monitors, I have no idea...... and would suggest that it is a bad idea to assume it will be able to get along with others.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:27:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Send it here, I have a whole herp collection. PM for addy if you are serious
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:28:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pics of herps?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's a Red Ackie. Those lizards are cool as hell and they don't get big. That one looks full grown. Feed it crickets and the occasional pinky mouse and it will be happy.
View Quote

It's not red, trust me. It eats a lot of everything as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hehe, good times.

Try taming full grown golden tegus, fresh from the wild.

You will learn new words, continuously. And become well known in your local urgent care.

Crocodile monitors were too expensive back when, for me to consider them. Sold them, shipped them...but didn't want to own one.

Dealt with White and Red Tegus. Good times. Fuckers are fast as shit for their size and pack a serious bite.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:34:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

All we need now is someone with a derp collection.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#27]
There are herp rescues out there, I know of one in SW Ohio that takes in everything from tortoises to gators. I can't remember the name off the top of my head since I've been out of the herp circles for 8+ years now. No university zoology department in the area to contact? NKU was affiliated with the Ohio herp collector/enthusiast society when I was a member.

I wish I could help, but I don't currently have the space for a monitor, even though I've wanted one for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:41:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are herp rescues out there, I know of one in SW Ohio that takes in everything from tortoises to gators. I can't remember the name off the top of my head since I've been out of the herp circles for 8+ years now. No university zoology department in the area to contact? NKU was affiliated with the Ohio herp collector/enthusiast society when I was a member.

I wish I could help, but I don't currently have the space for a monitor, even though I've wanted one for a long time.
View Quote

Thanks. I have tried all local outlets. Rescues are miss or miss for me right now. From what I am getting, its a space issue and I totally understand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:53:21 AM EDT
[#29]
First two posts nailed it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:53:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Don't know what to do? Monitor it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cant see the first two post, or yours.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is indeed a shame because they offered sage advise.

Here is some more, if you don't care for the majority of opinions on this website, perhaps you would feel more comfortable posting on the Democrat Underground.  I'm sure there you will find more like minded deviants that enjoy disgusting reptiles crawling around and shitting all over their home.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:19:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Here is some more, if you don't care for the majority of opinions on this website, perhaps you would feel more comfortable posting on the Democrat Underground.  I'm sure there you will find more like minded deviants that enjoy disgusting reptiles crawling around and shitting all over their home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ROFL this thread is starting to deliver

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: What does sage mean? And I am a Liberal, because I don't kill animals to wear or for fun. The advice you aline with is in the minority by the way.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Edit: What does sage mean? And I am a Liberal, because I don't kill animals to wear or for fun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit: What does sage mean? And I am a Liberal, because I don't kill animals to wear or for fun.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sage
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:32:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Edit: What does sage mean? And I am a Liberal, because I don't kill animals to wear or for fun. The advice you aline with is in the minority by the way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sense of humor is... Dormant.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Normally, I'd feel obliged to respond, but as you are on my ignore list, I can't see your post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So not wanting retard advice means OP belongs at DU? Are you sure that pet reptile owners being deviants is a majority opinion on this website?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:50:43 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

or you could not be a shit bird to a guy asking help for an animal.  furthermore, wtf is with your ignorant bullshit?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:56:10 AM EDT
[#41]
whoever takes it should name it holster
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#42]
if my living situation would allow it, i would say send him here, but unfortunately i cant even have my dogs, let alone a reptile.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:03:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
if my living situation would allow it, i would say send him here, but unfortunately i cant even have my dogs, let alone a reptile.
View Quote

No worries....I think I have made contact with a couple good people in this thread that might be able to provide a good home for the animal. Thanks so much for all the support GD.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:03:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
or you could not be a shit bird to a guy asking help for an animal.  furthermore, wtf is with your ignorant bullshit?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what your saying is you guys keep shit birds in the house along with lizards?  Who cleans all that mess up?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you contacted the local veterinarians or animal hospitals?
How about reptile stores or pet shops?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've done the vet/hospital thing. They have been really helpful with care and medication. Shops and stores I'm not interested in, that is where it came from. I just want someone to put some time and work into this guy/gal......it's worth it for some individual.

This dude has more to offer than just a holster. Bastards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:23:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No worries....I think I have made contact with a couple good people in this thread that might be able to provide a good home for the animal. Thanks so much for all the support GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i miss having monitors and tegus, they are such neat animals
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've done the vet/hospital thing. They have been really helpful with care and medication. Shops and stores I'm not interested in, that is where it came from. I just want someone to put some time and work into this guy/gal......it's worth it for some individual.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you're quite right, one could probably get a Crocodile Dundee style hat band out of him also.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:34:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I hope you find holster a good home. Also I have ignored all of you.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:40:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I hope you find holster a good home. Also I have ignored all of you.

View Quote

Holster is it's new name! Maybe JHMC can come sex it for me. Meet you on DU???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top