BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 8:08:54 PM EDT
I think I have one. read it the other day on here
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A dog that follows it's nose:  a dog that gets lost in scent.....

An example:  a dog that smells something and cannot think of anything besides finding what they smell, even above their owner's commands to return/heel, sit, etc.

At least that's what it means to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
thought so.  got one here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

An example:  a dog that smells something and cannot think of anything besides finding what they smell, even above their owner's commands to return/heel, sit, etc.

View Quote

Ayup.

Very common for scenthounds.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This

my beagle dose this when he gets on a rabbit or some other ground critters sent. Once he locks on nothing can stop him.
He gets totally oblivious to everything that's going on around him including traffic on the street, people, other animals. It can be scary. We never let him out side with out a leash unless he is in the fenced in area of the back yard.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This

my beagle dose this when he gets on a rabbit or some other ground critters sent. Once he locks on nothing can stop him.
He gets totally oblivious to everything that's going on around him including traffic on the street, people, other animals. It can be scary. We never let him out side with out a leash unless he is in the fenced in area of the back yard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Unfortunately we have a common yard(condos) so she is always on  a leash.  I got the longest one I could find(retractable).  I have to take off with her when she see a rabbit.  

Normally when running she knows when to stop before she runs out of leash but not after a rabbit.  Full bore to instant stop.  1st time it happened it was dark and didn't see it coming.  It hurt me and I know it hurt her.  

Shes pretty good at listening unless im eating on the couch or theres an animal outside.  

Because she will always be on a leash until we move out of here who knows when it isn't critical but damn she takes off without worry
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Dogs act in ways to get rewards or avoid punishment.  It's not just humans dealing out these, but deep genetic training.  Following the scent of an in-heat female gives pleasure to dogs, just like eating a fatty bit of liver.  (Really, it's the same reason we humans are drawn to salty snacks, fatty snacks, and sweet stacks...plus sex, and I also think hunting)

Through breeding efforts certain hound types were created where the scent of certain animals was just as pleasurable to them as a choice cut of fatty meat or an in-heat female.  Beagles with rabbit-scent is an example of this.  They go into a doggie-high.  Rabbit scent is beagle-heroine.  It takes a LOT of outside influence to snap them back into paying attention to the rest of the world around them.  It's enough different so a dog who sees something they really want to interact with will still remember how long the leash is, but a dog in the throes of something they have deep programming for, yea, they'll not have any regard for how long the leash is, they'll barely notice when the leash finally stops their forward progress.]

Of course many of the hound breeds like the beagle have been raised as family pets for many generations, and so the scent-lock has diminished a lot in certain individuals.  
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top