Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 4:20:18 PM EDT
He (cat) has been in the house a week.  Year old, short hair, black with yellow eyes.  Weighs about 12 pounds.

We were worried about how our dog would react to a cat.  She is 6 Y.O. and a German Shorthair Pointer.  She is a peach, and for some reason the rest of them decided that we needed a new cat.

I love cats and had one around since I was an infant.  It is just that my dog has a prey drive.  I was worried.

She has taken it well, but she has no experience with cats.

Week passes, dog meets cat, dog whines and cat hisses.  Daily short intros, dog on leash.

Cat is upstairs, dog downstairs.  Today, though, things changed.

He sauntered downstairs and plopped down on the floor.  The dog stared at his cheeky behavior, then approached.  He took a few tentative swipes, then got up and ate some dog food out of her bowl.  

Holy shit, it was the biggest shit starting strut and munch you could possibly see.

She is more subtle.  She laid down and watched.  He strutted by, and sat a foot away.  They stared.

He looked away, and she approached.  He pretended he was bored with her, went upstairs and took a nap.

It is a powderkeg here.  The dog is being magnificent, the cat is riding lightning and demanding more voltage.  Tesla indeed.

I dunno.  The cat has been upgraded to Magnificent Bastard Level III.

He is a shit starter extraordinaire.

Never had a cat and a dog.  New to me, but holy crap it is an electric environment.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Kittah needs to check his privilege.

Our cat hates other cats.  Wife has suggested that maybe a dog would work better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Check his privilege indeed.

I have had some arrogant cats but he is something else.

He was in the shelter for a couple of months, so I guess having to shiv his cellmates led him to the dark side.

I am happy to have a cat in the house, but the level of distilled electric disruption is extraordinary.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Cats, like any higher functioning creature, can be trained with positive and negative enforcement.  They are just a lot less innately interested in pleasing humans, so it generally takes MORE positive or negative enforcement.

That being said, I'd never allow animal A to eat the food left out for animal B.  From how you describe your dog acting, she seems mellow and well behaved, which to me says you spent some effort in training her that you want her to be mellow and well behaved.  Apply training to the cat.  When cat is causing trouble, cat gets removed from area and confined.  When cat is acting pleasantly, it gets food reward.  Don't tolerate trouble starting animals.  It will erode a good relationship with a dog, and eventually the trouble starter may start more than he can handle and now you have an expensive trip to the vet.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had cats and dogs now for about 8 years. And not just any dogs, but Akitas, who are known for their prey drive.

This doesn't sound like a lot of shit starting at all. It's actually kind of nice that the cat and dog can be near each other. I would not have the cat eating out of the dog bowl, however. Scold the cat when that happens, but be careful because if the cat takes off it becomes much more fun from a prey perspective, so make sure there is control of the dog at that time.

Our current cat is a three time rescue. We don't know the story behind the first time he was given up. The second time it was because he was beating up the other cats and hanging out with the two GSDs. We figured any cat that hated cats was a good pick, and he is a very affectionate and smart cat, too. So we are his third, and forever, family. Now he is a shit starter. He will intentionally bait the dogs into chasing him. This wasn't such a big deal with my old Akita (RIP) as she grew up with cats and was pretty cool. But boy was he surprised when our new/used rescue Akita caught him the first time! Now he uses more skill in the process. He is smart. Then we got the puppy Akita and two on one was a bit much for him to handle himself. We had to step in with some more supervision and training, mostly dog training, but all is good now. In fact the dogs will come to bed in the evening and defer to the cat who has taken to sleeping on one of the dog beds in the early evening. Eventually the cat will move to our (people) bed and both dogs will then get a bed
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  The cat ignores the dog food now and the two of them have a detente going.  I am surprised at how tolerant and patient the dog has been.

The cat still struts around but the dog isn't very impressed with the performance.

Crazy times but the new "normal" appears to have arrived.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Brother-in-law would bring his dog over and my siamese would walk past dog and let tail hit him in face.  Over and over until cat lost interest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kittah needs to check his privilege.

Our cat hates other cats.  Wife has suggested that maybe a dog would work better.
View Quote

My then 11 year old cat hated other cats, then I got a kitten and now at age 13, Yellow has taught Willow to hate other cats.

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Back when I got my Great Dane, my cats hid behind the couch for about a week. They only came out to eat/drink, use the litter box when she wasn't around.
Eventually they all got used to each other. The dog was a goofball and just wanted to play. The female cat tolerated her, the male didn't like her.
Every now and then he would get a wild hair and jump up on the arm of the chair so he could bat at her when she went by.
Other than that he just avoided her.
Sadly, all are long gone now.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top