Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 7/22/2014 4:44:33 PM EDT
My youngest of the 3 dogs (2 1/2 old.....mutt.  part pit, part...chucky sob) has always had this weird mouth thing and it's totally random and not often it happens.  Anywho, think of it as when a person is cold and their teeth chatter together.  But alot slower.  It lasts about 5-10 secs and when he does it, he drools like a faucet.   I can prob count on 2 hands how many times it's happened but I can't find anything on the internet about it.  When he goes to the vet for his check ups everything always comes back fine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there such a thing as a "little seizure"?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately I've had 2 dogs who had seizures before and this just doesn't seem to act like how they were.  (1 had it bad before she passed).   But just for the sake of argument,  is there a way to test for something neurological?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My youngest of the 3 dogs (2 1/2 old.....mutt.  part pit, part...chucky sob) has always had this weird mouth thing and it's totally random and not often it happens.  Anywho, think of it as when a person is cold and their teeth chatter together.  But alot slower.  It lasts about 5-10 secs and when he does it, he drools like a faucet.   I can prob count on 2 hands how many times it's happened but I can't find anything on the internet about it.  When he goes to the vet for his check ups everything always comes back fine.
View Quote
I had a Goldie that would do that when he got excited about treats or we gave him something he really liked to eat.  He would raise his head and just kind of chatter his teeth.  Never thought much about it b/c I viewed as excitement over food.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the weird thing, it's completely random when he does it.  Today, and why I'm posting,  I had just walked into the bedroom and he followed (he was asleep ok n the floor just prior) and when he walked into the bedroom he did it.  After it stopped he just jumped up on the bed and went back to sleep.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately I've had 2 dogs who had seizures before and this just doesn't seem to act like how they were.  (1 had it bad before she passed).   But just for the sake of argument,  is there a way to test for something neurological?
View Quote

I'm sure there is, but as to how, on a dog, I haven't a clue.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Coworker just lost a dog, reported that prior to the onset of more serious siezures, the dog would chatter it's teeth and drool. OP, I recommend a vet if the dog is important to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
My English Bulldogs do something like this.

The vet was consulted, and said that it was them "tasting". This made sense, as it only happened after they just got done licking.... something.

Seeing as how this could also be a sign of more serious issues as mentioned by other members, a trip to the vet is warranted.

I hope everything turns out well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]
He, as the other 2 dogs, go to the vet every 6-8 months for normal check ups.  Usually once a year they get blood work done and nothing ever comes back bad.  I also have no kids, hence why it may seem they go to the vet more the  most.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]
my male dobie did that, when he got a whiff of the females asses. he'd sniff, then do the chatter thing, and drool. i've seen it in multiple dogs, and breeds. unless it's accompanied with stiffening of the body, or sudden loss of coordination, i'd say it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen plenty of dogs do that, mostly when nervous or exited.

My dog has seizures.  doesn't seem like a relatable behavior.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Male dogs will do it when smelling a female in heat. Some dogs do it when they get a certain scent or when smelling other dogs urine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there such a thing as a "little seizure"?
View Quote

Yes, seizures can be so small that they only look like the dog (or person) is looking off into space a little bit.

Doesn't mean that it IS a seizure, just that small seizures CAN happen.  If nothing else, see if you can catch it on video, and show a vet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It would be nearly impossible to get in video.  It's so rare it happens and even if I followed him around 24/7 and just HAPPEN to catch it, by the time I get the camera app to record, a few secs" it would b over.  

He doesn't stare off into space.  Usually he is just doing whatever he was doing just prior, but now the mouth thing.  And when it's over he continues on doing what he's doing.  If it was something that stopped him in his tracks or seemed more, odd. I'd be even more concerned.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top