Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2014 4:51:35 PM EDT
I personally know 2 people that have caught people in the act of trying to steal their dog.

How common is this shit?

My family has a 9 month old Golden and I am trying to figure out how big of a deal this is. My wife and I both had dogs growing up and don't remember ever hearing about this.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not a thief , but that dog is so cute maybe I could become one.
They use to shoot horse thieves , but thats not feasible
I have no tolerance for anyone who takes property that is not theirs, especially our gubmunt.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone opened my bosses daughter's gate and got her black German Shepherd a few years ago.  Never did catch them.  Gate has a lock on it now.  Local dog catcher got caught taking people's dogs, the ones worth $$$,  to his house and not the pound, regardless if they had tags on them or not.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#3]
You would be surprised how common it is for the more expensive breeds to get stolen.

Happen to my cousin twice. One nice boxer and a blue tick heeler. both were farm dogs. really did not bother him because both dogs had been dumped at his front gate.

Most times the dogs are stolen for ransom, resale or to use to train pit bulls for fighting.

Had one of my poodles almost get stolen out of my back yard. The 12 gauge I had made the thief examine the grass from close up until the police showed up. Ironic that the first officer was a k9 officer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always found this interesting as i drive to and from work every day with my Lab in the bed of my truck (open bed).  I often stop at the gas station, etc. and if we ever go places on the weekend (that aren't too far and the weather is decent) he always rides in the bed.  People always ask to pet him and i've been asked many times "Aren't you afraid someone is going to steal him?"  My first thought when someone asks that is "Is that an actual problem; people stealing dogs out of vehicles while they are in a parking lot??!?!".  Apparently it is but i live in a very rural area and i just cant imagine that happening nor do i worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I had my Irish Setter stolen out of my yard many years ago, so it does happen.

It was a small town, so I know she did not wander off.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
They normally only go for high priced dogs or young puppies.

English bulldogs, Canes, French bulldogs, Bull terriers, Yorkshire terriers, Chihuahuas.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

English bulldogs, Canes, French bulldogs, Bull terriers, Yorkshire terriers, Chihuahuas.
View Quote

Yup.

Dogs that are easy to flip or use as bait.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on the area I guess.

There have always been people around here who just seam to steal people's dogs for shits and giggles.  They just dump them some where else.

We had one picked up once we found a few days later 10 miles away sitting by the road scared.

Also had a lot of dogs dumped here over the years.  We always put the word out and some found the way home but most just stayed here for however long they lasted.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, there are plenty of assholes in the world willing to take someone's dog and do whatever with it. Makes me feel better about my paranoia when I start entertaining the idea that I may be over thinking a situation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yup.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

A shady looking guy on a bike insisted that I let him hold my pom when he was a puppy. Didn't want to pet him while I held him (I was out socializing him with strangers), and tried to get grabby. I was sure the plan was to ride off with him.

I've also found a 3 lb terrier wandering around across the river from his house only a day after going "missing". People pick up potential breeders and dump them when they find they're neutered. I watch my boy like a hawk. He's 5 lbs and I keep him with a full coat, and dirtbags constantly want to put him to stud. He's never out of my sight. If I turn around, I know he'll get snatched.

Eta: My Simo

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yup.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

People that do that should be used for bait.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine either despise or are very leery / watchful of strangers.

ESPECIALLY at home, work, or in the vehicle... If you don't 'belong' in those places - Dogs are not likely to be your 'friend'. More likely to get ugly with your ass for being in THEIR territory.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A shady looking guy on a bike insisted that I let him hold my pom when he was a puppy. Didn't want to pet him while I held him (I was out socializing him with strangers), and tried to get grabby. I was sure the plan was to ride off with him.

I've also found a 3 lb terrier wandering around across the river from his house only a day after going "missing". People pick up potential breeders and dump them when they find they're neutered. I watch my boy like a hawk. He's 5 lbs and I keep him with a full coat, and dirtbags constantly want to put him to stud. He's never out of my sight. If I turn around, I know he'll get snatched.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5ohuv8.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

http://i61.tinypic.com/5ohuv8.jpg

Now THAT is one happy lookin dag!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
If I ever caught someone trying to steal my dog......

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a low down crime for sure.

over the years I've heard of a few and different reasons.

-plain old stealing a nice breed dog
-stealing valuable hunting dogs
-shitbird outfit was stealing dogs to sell for research in the late 70's/80's

-we had one dog stolen and sold but we got him back.  yellow lab, young in great form.  I was probably 10 or so at the time.   The thief ended up dead in later years from stealing from his fellow hell's angels members.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
We had a couple over at Christmas and she stated that they had a women drive up into their yard and try to get one of their collies in the car. They came around the house and confronted them but before she could get to the women they sped off.

We watch our two sheltie pups like a hawk. Ruger is 23 lbs and doesn't see a stranger if we are around, if he's out by himself he will bark his head offf at somebody. Cassey is 13 lbs and were scared anybody or anything will carry her off. She doesn't go near people even when we are around. They do stay in a fenced yard and we are in an established neighborhood and everyone loves the pups so somebody would notice if someone came after the dogs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've noticed some unsavory fellows size me up when I walked my bull terrier in my old neighborhood.
Always brought me comfort to be carrying.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've noticed some unsavory fellows size me up when I walked my bull terrier in my old neighborhood.
Always brought me comfort to be carrying.
View Quote

God help me if I caught someone trying to steal these guys, that's a lot of digging...
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Used to be common near me. The rumor was fighting groups would steal pets to use for training dogs . I have had one stolen out of a pen with carbineer in the gate lock , came home from work out found gate opened . dog missing .
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
People try and steal the warhounds all the time. Other more reputable people just say they're going to. Pretty easy to know when someone attempts to take them. What with their pure viciousness.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#21]
If anybody tried to steal my bulldogs they be some dead mother truckers

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top