Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2014 3:07:58 PM EDT
My dog, Parker (<---) has been having some issues with coughing/shortness of breath/gagging for the past several weeks.  It started after a 2-1/2 day stay in the local Human Society.  Took him to CSU's vet school today & they think it is laryngeal paralysis.  Labs are prone to this - but we're thinking it was accelerated due to neck trauma (dog catcher w/ his loop).  Regardless of the causes, I'm pretty fucking down about it.  He's not himself and I'm not putting him through the surgery to "fix" it.  It isn't really a fix, more of a bandaid than anything.  He's almost 11 now, I'm not going to put him through the pain/recovery/post-surgical issues that this surgery comes with.

He's having another test tomorrow to verify the diagnosis.  Then, it is time to take care of him & hope this thing has a slow progression.  He's been with us through thick & thin, been there to help us raise our 4 little ones.

I understand the disease and the progression.  It depresses the fuck out of me to think that this will most likely be his downfall.

<---  Awesome fucking dog, nothing more can be said about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the research project at Michigan State (it's a very good vet school) the surgery is often very successful and gives immediate relief.
I talked to the head of the program recently.  

The major potential problem after is aspiration pneumonia and that's likely to be prevented with meds and an elevated feeding station.

If the pneumonia is caught early they tell me it's pretty treatable.

My dog has it and I'm pretty sure we're going to have the surgery done.

He's older (12) but otherwise healthy and probably has a couple good years left.

I hate how much this has restricted his activity and I think the surgery is worth a try.

CSU is supposed to be a good vet school, do they have surgeons with experience in laryngeal paralysis surgery?

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]

My boy was diagnosed with tracheal collapse when he was young. He'd been through some health issues, and for a while he coughed pretty often, but now he seems to have gotten over it. He never wears a collar, only harnesses, but if you push on his throat you can hear it.

If your boy's had a rough time with the dog catchers, maybe it's just a matter of healing up for a bit and not aggravating it with a collar?

I hope he makes a full recovery.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
According to the research project at Michigan State (it's a very good vet school) the surgery is often very successful and gives immediate relief.I talked to the head of the program recently.  

The major potential problem after is aspiration pneumonia and that's likely to be prevented with meds and an elevated feeding station.
If the pneumonia is caught early they tell me it's pretty treatable.

My dog has it and I'm pretty sure we're going to have the surgery done.
He's older (12) but otherwise healthy and probably has a couple good years left.
I hate how much this has restricted his activity and I think the surgery is worth a try.

CSU is supposed to be a good vet school, do they have surgeons with experience in laryngeal paralysis surgery?

View Quote

CSU is a great vet school.  They do 2-3 of these a week.  The vet said the risks of pneumonia is pretty high.  He has always eaten out of elevated food bowls.  CSU has a trial going right now - I'm doing more research on it at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My boy was diagnosed with tracheal collapse when he was young. He'd been through some health issues, and for a while he coughed pretty often, but now he seems to have gotten over it. He never wears a collar, only harnesses, but if you push on his throat you can hear it.

If your boy's had a rough time with the dog catchers, maybe it's just a matter of healing up for a bit and not aggravating it with a collar?

I hope he makes a full recovery.
View Quote

Tracheal collapse is much different than laryngeal paralysis.  LarPar is mainly a problem seen in labradors and is semi genetic while Trach. collapse is usually in smaller dogs.  Just spreading some info; not trying to knock your comment by any means.

OP: Sorry to hear this; i know first hand about LarPar and we put our last lab down in 2011 at the age of 11 because of it.  Her issues came on much more severe at an older age so we did not consider surgery at that time.  I will say that it is highly unlikely that this occurrence is related in any way to the dog catcher using his loop, etc.  Its not usually an induced problem but more of a genetic/congenital issue.  If you have the funds and think your boy will do well post op then i would recommend going with the surgery.  The prognosis is pretty good and as i stated; the only reason i did not pursue it is because of my dogs age.

-Cschelk2  DVM
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of the pneumonia risk is the presence of megaesophagus - the esophagus is enlarged.

If megaesophagus isn't present MSU said the incidence of aspiration pneumonia was about 18% post surgery.

This is the elevated feeding station that MSU was recommending:

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies.  Parker is @ CSU right now having his throat scoped so we know exactly what we're dealing with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck ,Parker.

That's a beautiful animal you have there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Update.

Parker did well during the procedure to figure out exactly what is going on.  He has bilateral laryngeal paralysis.  Both sides aren't opening/closing @ all.  SO, now we know w/ 100% certainty.  CSU has a study going right now that he is eligible for (perfect physical shape, no other medical issues, etc.).  We paid $300 two days ago - that would go toward the study related costs.  Basically, we would be left with about $1300 to pay for the surgery/post-op and all of the other crap that goes along with it.

He's been walking around the house "grunting" for the past few days - no better/worse.  He's definitely not himself.  We've discussed every little detail w/ 2 vets and the surgical team @ CSU.  We have some decisions to make I guess.  If I (or anyone!) could look forward and tell me the timeline for progression, I would feel a lot better.  I don't want to put him through this crap and then have him die a few weeks later from aspiration pneumonia.  But, if we have it done, he could live a few more *happy* years w/ his family.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:33:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Dogs are tough. 3 more good years comes out to $1 a day.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Update.

Parker did well during the procedure to figure out exactly what is going on.  He has bilateral laryngeal paralysis.  Both sides aren't opening/closing @ all.  SO, now we know w/ 100% certainty.  CSU has a study going right now that he is eligible for (perfect physical shape, no other medical issues, etc.).  We paid $300 two days ago - that would go toward the study related costs.  Basically, we would be left with about $1300 to pay for the surgery/post-op and all of the other crap that goes along with it.

He's been walking around the house "grunting" for the past few days - no better/worse.  He's definitely not himself.  We've discussed every little detail w/ 2 vets and the surgical team @ CSU.  We have some decisions to make I guess.  If I (or anyone!) could look forward and tell me the timeline for progression, I would feel a lot better.  I don't want to put him through this crap and then have him die a few weeks later from aspiration pneumonia.  But, if we have it done, he could live a few more *happy* years w/ his family.

View Quote

If it was me, I'd go for it...
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're looking for input, i'll offer mine but remember opinions are like assholes.  We put our lab down in 2011 primarily because of her larpar.  She was in fairly good health for her age aside from typical lab hip issues, etc.  Surgery was an option and although i would not perform the surgery myself, my family owns a practice and would have the ability to do it themselves at cost.  We opted not to perform the surgery.  Our primary reason for this was her age.  IMO and experience the average life span for a retriever breed ranges from 10-12 and as i mentioned, she was 11.  Every dog is different and every dog will respond to surgery and anesthesia differently but make the decision based on current and future quality of life rather than cost.  I certainly wish you the best and it sounds like i've been in almost an identical situation.  By no means do i want you to think that i am recommending euthanasia, i'm not.  Keep us posted either way and personally i think you need to post more pics of this pup!
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
7/8 Update:

Parker was accepted into the LarPar study @ CSU.  He's on the schedule for next Tues/Weds.  He's been doing pretty good the past week considering he's been hacking up a lung @ times.  He goes in Tues for a chest xray and a few other tests.  Then, he stays overnight for some observation that is part of the study.  Weds morning, he goes under for the tieback procedure.  CSU has been absolutely awesome to work with so far.  I'm fine with my decision and hope it means a few more years with him.  I'll post up some pics of Park soon.  He's quite the looker... ;-)
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck Parker. I assumed that was him in your avatar.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck Parker. I assumed that was him in your avatar.
View Quote

Thanks.

<---  Yup, that's him.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#15]
1 Week Post-Op Update:

Parker had to stay over @ CSU for one night prior to the surgery.  They were doing some additional testing/monitoring as part of the LarPar study he is taking part in.  He had surgery last Thurs and came home the same day.  He was on tramadol and an antacid - but nothing else.  He slept quite a bit for the first 24 hours & then "woke up" and became himself again.  It was AMAZING to see/hear how much better he was.  No more gasping for air, no sounding like a train when he was *walking* around the house.  What has really amazed me over the past week is the reduced level of anxiety.  I can't believe I hadn't realized how bad it got over the past year or two.  He is still taking his antacid & we're still feeding him meatballs of soft/canned food.  He gets his stitches out next Thurs.

Good stuff!  CSU is absolutely great to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I am very glad to hear he is back to his old self again
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

1 Week Post-Op Update:

Parker had to stay over @ CSU for one night prior to the surgery.  They were doing some additional testing/monitoring as part of the LarPar study he is taking part in.  He had surgery last Thurs and came home the same day.  He was on tramadol and an antacid - but nothing else.  He slept quite a bit for the first 24 hours & then "woke up" and became himself again.  It was AMAZING to see/hear how much better he was.  No more gasping for air, no sounding like a train when he was *walking* around the house.  What has really amazed me over the past week is the reduced level of anxiety.  I can't believe I hadn't realized how bad it got over the past year or two.  He is still taking his antacid & we're still feeding him meatballs of soft/canned food.  He gets his stitches out next Thurs.

Good stuff!  CSU is absolutely great to deal with.
View Quote

Good stuff man! I'm happy for you and for Parker!

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm very glad for you and Parker. I hope he continues doing well for many years!
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top