Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:19:50 PM EDT
I am a vet tech and a friend of my wife just lost (died) their dog to Lepto. When talking to one of the doctors today she mentioned there is a increase in the infection, down south.

With our friend, the dog woke up after a night of rest, refused to eat/drink, they took her to the doctors, they treated her for dehydration, and within 48 hours she was dead.

Note the dog was not vaccinated originally for Lepto. The dog was also mainly a farm dog. Also the vet wasn't even up to date on Lepto to begin with.

If your dog is outside a lot, hikes, near water, get it vaccinated for it.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-04-02/news/os-increase-in-dog-lepto-cases-20140402_1_lepto-bacterial-infection-dogs
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Our dog, in Iowa, contracted lepto when she was 4 since it wasn't a required vaccine. She lived a couple of years but she was on meds, had 3 days of IVs when originally diagnosed. It sucked.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am a vet tech and a friend of my wife just lost (died) their dog to Lepto. When talking to one of the doctors today she mentioned there is a increase in the infection, down south.

With our friend, the dog woke up after a night of rest, refused to eat/drink, they took her to the doctors, they treated her for dehydration, and within 48 hours she was dead.

Note the dog was not vaccinated originally for Lepto. The dog was also mainly a farm dog. Also the vet wasn't even up to date on Lepto to begin with.

If your dog is outside a lot, hikes, near water, get it vaccinated for it.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2014-04-02/news/os-increase-in-dog-lepto-cases-20140402_1_lepto-bacterial-infection-dogs
View Quote

I would recommend changing your title to include people throughout the country and lepto is fairly prevalent, especially in the midwest.  We commonly vaccinate the majority of dogs for it but i've seen even 5# chihuahuas that spend most of their life in doors pick it up.  Causing acute kidney failure it can take an animals life very fast.  Sorry for your friends loss; this is a great way to spread the word.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My dogs get vaccinated for it yearly.  Thanks for the heads up.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top