Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/20/2014 5:43:48 PM EDT
I have a 2 year old English pointer.   He is good hunter had no aggression issues.   He listens pretty well and is all around a great pup.
The other day I took him to the vet and the vet asked why we didn't neuter him?  
I had dogs in the past and had never done it.  The vet mentioned some health benefits and a googled ASPCA article mentioned some benefits and minuses.

I don't want the personality of my dog to change.  His behavior and personality is a good fit for me.
Anybody change their mind either way?  Why?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If its not broke why fix it?

Both my dogs are neutered but that's due to the humane society stipulations

My other dog (at my fathers house) was planned to breed but was ultra hyper. The neutering calmed him down but took years to get to the mellow he is now

If I were you (depend on age and health conditions) I would breed. Those are good traits to have that didn't need surgery to fix.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Are there any health negatives to neutering ?
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going to breed him then don't neuter.  Other wise I have seen no down side.  My male is not lazy has not gotten fat or any of the other down sides.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
After 18-24 months old I really don't see any downsides to neutering.  You probably won't see much difference in him as he is going to be a high energy dog regardless.  Neutering will keep you sane if there are any unspayed females close by.  My brothers Dane was not fixed.  We had him for a while when he was over seas.  Love that dog but when a neighbors mutt went into heat I thought either the house was coming down, or one of us wasn't making it out alive.  150pounds of lovesick Dane is roughly equal to a small kill dozer!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you hunting the dog?

I have seen a few hunting dogs lose a little of their get up and go/prey drive.  Never to the point where they don't hunt any longer but still some decreases productivity in the field.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you hunting the dog?

I have seen a few hunting dogs lose a little of their get up and go/prey drive.  Never to the point where they don't hunt any longer but still some decreases productivity in the field.
View Quote

I do hunt the dog.

this is a concern.  on the aspca website, they say some other males may try to mount a neutered male.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I do hunt the dog.

this is a concern.  on the aspca website, they say some other males may try to mount a neutered male.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you hunting the dog?

I do hunt the dog.

You are taking a gamble then.  I have never seen a neutered dog ruined but have seen some lose some drive.  Some great dogs have been made into mediocre dogs when neutered.

As for the mounting thing, it has been my experience dogs will mount other dogs regardless of being neutered or not.  Just a dominance thing.  Maybe some dogs pick up on neutered dogs more laid back attitude but I can't say I have seen neutered dogs get mounted anymore or less than non neutered dogs.  Then again I don't know many folks who have neutered their hunting dogs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You are taking a gamble then.  I have never seen a neutered dog ruined but have seen some lose some drive.  Some great dogs have been made into mediocre dogs when neutered.

As for the mounting thing, it has been my experience dogs will mount other dogs regardless of being neutered or not.  Just a dominance thing.  Maybe some dogs pick up on neutered dogs more laid back attitude but I can't say I have seen neutered dogs get mounted anymore or less than non neutered dogs.  Then again I don't know many folks who have neutered their hunting dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you hunting the dog?

I do hunt the dog.

thanks for the replies.  i had hunting dogs when i was a kid and they were not neutered.  i have a great dog and he will not be neutered either.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad I found this thread.  I picked up a russian street dog.  He is a East European Shepard for the most part.  He is verrrry smart and damn stubborn.  The vet says he is about a year old and will get to be about 100lbs.  He is full swing in puberty and really testing his limits.  I am not hunting him yet but would like to in the near future.  I live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs and i can see his libito boiling beneath the surface... if you will.  

I love his personality but wouldnt mind him taking a little softer approach to most things.  I dont know the benifits of neutering as ive never owned one.  Is there any input you gentelman can provide?

Mucho gracias
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm glad I found this thread.  I picked up a russian street dog.  He is a East European Shepard for the most part.  He is verrrry smart and damn stubborn.  The vet says he is about a year old and will get to be about 100lbs.  He is full swing in puberty and really testing his limits.  I am not hunting him yet but would like to in the near future.  I live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs and i can see his libito boiling beneath the surface... if you will.  

I love his personality but wouldnt mind him taking a little softer approach to most things.  I dont know the benifits of neutering as ive never owned one.  Is there any input you gentelman can provide?

Mucho gracias
View Quote

Neutering will almost always calm a dog down.  Takes a couple of weeks but once the testosterone is out of his system they are usually a little more docile and will have less drive.  If you plan on hunting a dog I wouldn't get the dog neutered.  That extra drive goes a long ways in the field.  

The health benefits from getting a dog fixed are less chances of various types of cancer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I do hunt the dog.

My Male as not lost any prey drive and there is now way in hell another male will try and mount him.   He is Alpha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you hunting the dog?

I do hunt the dog.

My Male as not lost any prey drive and there is now way in hell another male will try and mount him.   He is Alpha.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Neutering will almost always calm a dog down.  Takes a couple of weeks but once the testosterone is out of his system they are usually a little more docile and will have less drive.  If you plan on hunting a dog I wouldn't get the dog neutered.  That extra drive goes a long ways in the field.  

The health benefits from getting a dog fixed are less chances of various types of cancer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mucho gracias

On the negative side, neutering male dogs
• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of progressive geriatric cognitive impairment
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems
• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

• if done before 1 year of age, significantly increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer); this is a
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mucho gracias

I'm not arguing, do you have a source?

I have read and been told the exact opposite of some those by my vet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Just had our 3yo GSD neutered, he started having prostate trouble. the vet said the neutering would stop it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mucho gracias

Click HERE

At the end of this PDF file she cites all of her souces (a few pages of sources)

Print that PDF out and take it to your Vet the next time you go and ask them WHY that info was never discussed...

I got links to other studies (done by Vets) that show nearly the same as the above...

Never had a Vet say anything to ME about getting MY dogs 'fixed' and mine have seen a 'few' in their time. Sometimes that 'speech' you get depends on the particular dog you bring in. (You take a Pitt to any Vet around here and you WILL get the 'speech' - Not so if you go in with a good looking / well bred, GSD / Mal / Doberman / Standard Poodle / etc.)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
ASPCA article discusses some negatives and some increased cancer risks to neutered dogs.  There are pluses and minuses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Look, you are barking up the wrong tree.

Neutering ANY male mammal has some predictable results related to changes in testosterone levels.  Males tend to grow bigger, grow longer, put on muscle longer and then put on fat easier, and become slightly more docile.  This is why in some middle eastern empires male slaves were made into eunuchs to guard the harem, but many relates to the practice of neutering male hogs to make barrows, sheep to make wethers,  and male cattle to make steers...in all cases for increased muscle gain for the ultimate end purpose of consumption...and also for male cattle to make oxen (an 'educated' steer if you will) for both greater muscle mass (more raw pulling power) and to increase controllability.

What does this mean for DOGS?

IF NEUTERED YOUNG they will grow a bit bigger than they otherwise would.  If you have a large breed OR a breed prone to hip dysplasia or other bone/joint issues there is the very real prospect of the extra size causing issues.  This is the same risk as if the dog was carrying extra mass from being overweight.   This can be exacerbated by the tendency to put on fat easier. There are some convincing studies that the risk of certain health complications are raised by neutering, but the overall risk of these health problems are quite low.  There are a few health risks that actually are lower thanks to neutering.

IF NEUTERED SOMEWHAT OLDER.  The size equation is unchanged so the risk of bone/joint/hip issues is sidestepped, but the easier putting on of fat is still present, and extra body weight never helps dogs at risk of hip and other joint problems.  Still, fat doesn't come from the neutering, it comes from not getting enough exercise for the amount of food given.   There are fewer health risks that are increased, and the increase is much less, but they are still present.  There are a few health risks that actually are lower thanks to neutering.

Taking that in a vacuum the risk of neutering is very small but present, and can be decreased by neutering later.  What cannot be factored in is how an intact dog may have higher medical bills due to actions that a neutered dog is less likely to take.  Fewer fights, fewer hit by cars trying to run across the street to an in-heat female, etc.  Either way, neutering vs non neutering is going to have a 0.0001% impact on your dog's health.  Genetics, proper diet, proper exercise, all have a thousandfold greater impact.

REGARDING DRIVE in a hunting dog.  Yes, they become a little bit more docile so they may have a touch less drive, but this is offset in them tending to have more focus.

BUT THE MAIN ISSUE OF NEUTERING A DOG ISN'T ABOUT THE HEALTH OF THAT ONE DOG IN A VACUUM, IT IS ABOUT THE WELL-BEING OF THE DOG POPULATION AS A WHOLE AND REDUCING THE NUMBER OF DOGS KILLED DUE TO UNWANTED PUPPIES.  TO FIXATE ONLY ON YOUR DOG IN EXCLUSION OF ALL ELSE TO ME IS LIKE THE ANTI-VACCINE FOLKS WHO IN ATTEMPTING TO SIDESTEP A MINISCULE RISK FOR THEMSELVES MAKE THE SITUATION FOR EVERYONE WORSE

Also, to the fool who suggested you breed your dog, what the fuck are you thinking?  What are you basing your thought process on besides the fact the dog has a pair of testicles.  Do you have any thought process that allowed you to reach this conclusion?

You realize that on average a female dog has 5-7 pups, right?  So simply having every in-tact dog be a parent means that we would be awash in puppies.  That simply doesn't work.  So if all dogs can't breed, which dogs should?  Have some dog lottery where if your dog gets the lucky number regardless of how healthy or unhealthy it is, it gets to breed?  How about letting the top 25% breed?  That's what makes sense to me.

Now, this doesn't have to be only kennel club champions, but it SHOULD be decided dispassionately by an expert.  Let me tell you, this is what the serious dog people do, be it in dogsledding, grey hound racing, bird-dogging, or some guy living out in the mountains with no running water who delights in running coons with hounds.

So, owner of the in-tact dog.  Your dog isn't some special snowflake...and neither are your kids.  Before you go telling us that your dog is the bestest friend in the whole wide world or your baby is the most beautiful baby in the world, take a breath and think critically.  No, I am not saying your dog is bad, and I am not saying your baby is ugly.  I am saying you are biased.  Have you hunted with hundreds of different dogs so that you can truly take a critical eye to yours?  If not, find someone who has and get an honest assessment of your dog before you even THINK about breeding.

And if you aren't going to be breeding, get your dog neutered.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bad advice...

One does NOT need to alter a dog to keep it from reproducing.

A thing called a 'leash' works very well.

A properly trained dog will 'listen' to its owner if it has balls or not...
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Neutering ANY male mammal has some predictable results related to changes in testosterone levels.  Males tend to grow bigger, grow longer, put on muscle longer and then put on fat easier, and become slightly more docile.  This is why in some middle eastern empires male slaves were made into eunuchs to guard the harem, but many relates to the practice of neutering male hogs to make barrows, sheep to make wethers,  and male cattle to make steers...in all cases for increased muscle gain for the ultimate end purpose of consumption...and also for male cattle to make oxen (an 'educated' steer if you will) for both greater muscle mass (more raw pulling power) and to increase controllability.

IF NEUTERED YOUNG they will grow a bit bigger than they otherwise would.  If you have a large breed OR a breed prone to hip dysplasia or other bone/joint issues there is the very real prospect of the extra size causing issues.  This is the same risk as if the dog was carrying extra mass from being overweight.   This can be exacerbated by the tendency to put on fat easier. There are some convincing studies that the risk of certain health complications are raised by neutering, but the overall risk of these health problems are quite low.  There are a few health risks that actually are lower thanks to neutering.

IF NEUTERED SOMEWHAT OLDER.  The size equation is unchanged so the risk of bone/joint/hip issues is sidestepped, but the easier putting on of fat is still present, and extra body weight never helps dogs at risk of hip and other joint problems.  Still, fat doesn't come from the neutering, it comes from not getting enough exercise for the amount of food given.   There are fewer health risks that are increased, and the increase is much less, but they are still present.  There are a few health risks that actually are lower thanks to neutering.

Taking that in a vacuum the risk of neutering is very small but present, and can be decreased by neutering later.  What cannot be factored in is how an intact dog may have higher medical bills due to actions that a neutered dog is less likely to take.  Fewer fights, fewer hit by cars trying to run across the street to an in-heat female, etc.  Either way, neutering vs non neutering is going to have a 0.0001% impact on your dog's health.  Genetics, proper diet, proper exercise, all have a thousandfold greater impact.

REGARDING DRIVE in a hunting dog.  Yes, they become a little bit more docile so they may have a touch less drive, but this is offset in them tending to have more focus.

BUT THE MAIN ISSUE OF NEUTERING A DOG ISN'T ABOUT THE HEALTH OF THAT ONE DOG IN A VACUUM, IT IS ABOUT THE WELL-BEING OF THE DOG POPULATION AS A WHOLE AND REDUCING THE NUMBER OF DOGS KILLED DUE TO UNWANTED PUPPIES.  TO FIXATE ONLY ON YOUR DOG IN EXCLUSION OF ALL ELSE TO ME IS LIKE THE ANTI-VACCINE FOLKS WHO IN ATTEMPTING TO SIDESTEP A MINISCULE RISK FOR THEMSELVES MAKE THE SITUATION FOR EVERYONE WORSE

Also, to the fool who suggested you breed your dog, what the fuck are you thinking?  What are you basing your thought process on besides the fact the dog has a pair of testicles.  Do you have any thought process that allowed you to reach this conclusion?

You realize that on average a female dog has 5-7 pups, right?  So simply having every in-tact dog be a parent means that we would be awash in puppies.  That simply doesn't work.  So if all dogs can't breed, which dogs should?  Have some dog lottery where if your dog gets the lucky number regardless of how healthy or unhealthy it is, it gets to breed?  How about letting the top 25% breed?  That's what makes sense to me.

Now, this doesn't have to be only kennel club champions, but it SHOULD be decided dispassionately by an expert.  Let me tell you, this is what the serious dog people do, be it in dogsledding, grey hound racing, bird-dogging, or some guy living out in the mountains with no running water who delights in running coons with hounds.

So, owner of the in-tact dog.  Your dog isn't some special snowflake...and neither are your kids.  Before you go telling us that your dog is the bestest friend in the whole wide world or your baby is the most beautiful baby in the world, take a breath and think critically.  No, I am not saying your dog is bad, and I am not saying your baby is ugly.  I am saying you are biased.  Have you hunted with hundreds of different dogs so that you can truly take a critical eye to yours?  If not, find someone who has and get an honest assessment of your dog before you even THINK about breeding.

View Quote

Thanks for your contribution but I did not ask for a diatribe.
I asked for facts opinions and experiences in the necessity and outcomes of neutering male dogs.  What I did not ask for was a lesson in population control.  Like a poster said above, leashes work very well.  I do not leave my dog out on the town looking to knock up some unsuspecting neighbors pooch.  
For the record my Snowflake is special as his lineage come from a long line of both champion hunting and show dogs.
For the record my dog will be keeping his jewels.
My dog is in shape with a great personality.  He is a hard charger that is gentle, intelligent and active.  I don't want anything to change that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Bad advice...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad advice...

The estimated 6 million unwanted dogs put down in shelters tends to counteract your claim.

Try as you might, there are some things that are hard-wired into dogs.  You may be able to train your dog to balance a milkbone on his nose, but training him to not salivate isn't possible.  And try the bone-one-the-nose trick after the dog has gone a week without food.  Ever try and command a fighting dog to stop fighting?  Ever try and command a sighthound racing down something to stop?  Neither of those is going to happen.

The fact that a 'leash' does NOT work very well is shown in the fact that dogs STILL get hit and killed by cars, and by how many unwanted litters still happen.

Having a dog on a leash when it is in your back yard and another dog jumps the fence to 'visit' doesn't prevent anything.  The owner being there might, the dog being in a fully enclosed run might, but most people like to put the dog in the yard and go back into the house, not stand guard.

Finally,  It is true that solid obedience training, leashes and runs, and extensive supervision can indeed greatly reduce the chance of unwanted pups, #1 that still isn't a sure thing and #2 few people are really at that level.

Note that the OP stated his dog "listens pretty well"  I am guessing this means the dog does NOT return to owner when called 100% of the time quickly and immediately.  If a person can train the dog to the point where it will come back 100% of the time, if given the sit command will stay sitting until released even over long periods of time, and won't accept food from strangers, or eat master-given food until commanded, then you may have some ground to stand on with the 'leash plus training'  but very very very few dogs are trained to that level
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I asked for facts opinions and experiences in the necessity and outcomes of neutering male dogs.  What I did not ask for was a lesson in population control.  Like a poster said above, leashes work very well.  I do not leave my dog out on the town looking to knock up some unsuspecting neighbors pooch.  

For the record my Snowflake is special as his lineage come from a long line of both champion hunting and show dogs.

My dog is in shape with a great personality.  He is a hard charger that is gentle, intelligent and active.  I don't want anything to change that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

post his pedigree then, as well has his pwn personal accomplishments, because having champion parents is only half the battle.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The fact that a 'leash' does NOT work very well is shown in the fact that dogs STILL get hit and killed by cars, and by how many unwanted litters still happen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad advice...

Complete and utter nonsense.

How the fuck is dog going to run out and get hit by a car if the owner is holding the leash and the dog has a properly fitted collar?

Dogs get hit by cars because owners DONT use leashes (or don't train their crap)
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How the fuck is dog going to run out and get hit by a car if the owner is holding the leash and the dog has a properly fitted collar?

Dogs get hit by cars because owners DONT use leashes (or don't train their crap)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad advice...

and that's why I disagree with your assessment that 'a thing called a leash works very well' because it relies on a human component, and they have been shown to be the weak link.  A leash hanging on the wall won't prevent anything.

It's like airbags vs seatbelts.  Seatbelts work GREAT if people bother to put them on.  We are much better now, but there was a time when most people 'forgot' to put it on though.  Once installed, airbag doesn't need the human to actively participate.

With dogs, regarding leashes, we are still in a time where people don't fit the collar for them, don't replace them when they are worn, and frequently forget to put them on.  Hence they are NOT a good choice.  Plus dogs do have a mind of their own and can escape/evade an owner's intent.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#24]
how did a question about the health benefits/minuses of neutering turn into a breeding and leash debate?
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

how did a question about the health benefits/minuses of neutering turn into a breeding and leash debate?
View Quote
macro vs micro health benefits

Link Posted: 5/12/2014 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Our current male Boxer started developing some prostate issues, so we finally broke down and got him neutered last fall... He is 10-years-old, and the best (temperament) dog we've ever owned.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top