Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/19/2014 5:39:57 AM EDT
We've got a ~5 month GSP pup.  He's 47 lb right now.  The vet gave us a tube of Frontline last time I was there, but we need to get him more.  What do you guys like for your dogs?  Suggestions on good (inexpensive) places to buy from always welcomed.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Confortis- Its a once a month pill from the vet.  
About 12 dollars a pill but worth it. Best I have ever used.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#2]
not sure if your pup is ready for it yet but... we use advantix

We use to have her on frontline but then we realized it worked on fleas that bit.  and we didn't like the idea of a flea having to bite her first.  Plus she picked up a case of fleas while traveling, so when we got home we switched to advantix and found that it really worked faster than frontline ever had.

since then she's only had one case of fleas (we had visitors with dogs).  when flea-med day rolled around ... on went the advantix and off went the fleas.  Just three hours after the application, I found fleas on her legs - cos they were running away.   That was last summer... I think I've seen maybe one or two fleas on her since (and that was in the first month following that outbreak)
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Advantix is great, you can use it on pups just go by their weight. Frontline sucks

I got a new GSD pup a few weeks ago as well.  

My pack.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
K9 Advantix II. It's one of the few with Permethrin. Only Permethrin actually repels ticks. Very important up here in Lyme disease infested New England.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
K9 Advantix II. It's one of the few with Permethrin. Only Permethrin actually repels ticks. Very important up here in Lyme disease infested New England.
View Quote

Oi I forgot to include that part... yeah we have our pooch on that version of advantix.

I didn't mention this above, but when poochy picked up her first case of fleas it was also following a very mild winter.  We also found two ticks that spring.  One was still alive - but thankfully it was on her blanket, not on her. (killed it with fire!) The other was on her underside but ... it was after we switched to Advantix, so that's probably why the tick was already dead by the time we found it.

This past winter has been pretty good - well... from a flea/tick standpoint that is.  All that snow will have helped kill them off, although not completely of course.  Just keep an eye out for tick eggs.

After that mild winter I mentioned... there were a lot (as in a motherload) of what I think were tick eggs in one area of the apartment complex here.  We avoided that area for a good month - even after the maintenance crew went through and cut down most of the affected growth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome, great information fellas!  I will look for some Advantix.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Ended up going with Frontline again from Atwoods.  Was going to get the Advantix, but Luger's weight isn't quite to the next tier for Advantix so a 4-pack of the lower weight stuff wouldn't be practical.  The 4-pack of Frontline will fit his weight class for the full supply.

Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Advantix works well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Advantix

The others are snake oil
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Food grade diatomaceous earth. Fill a baby powder bottle with it, dust it onto the coat, and work it in with your hands. It'll kill anything that crawls on the dog. You can feed it to the dog to kill intestinal parasites. Sprinkle it heavily on the ground around the house to kill any arthropods that crawl across it. And if you don't mind the mess, you can use it to kill infestations in the house as well. Agway, Blue Seal, or Tractor Supply will carry it. TSC has 20lb for $13.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
We use Frontline Plus on our 6 month old Sheltie pups. I've had great results using Frontline in the past. We also have them on Heartgard.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top