Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2014 3:41:15 PM EDT
There's a GSP at a shelter close by that I'm planning on adopting. She is 4 but looks like she wasn't cared for in the past. Real sweet dog, with some training could be great.

Does anyone have one? I don't plan on using her to hunt or anything, and I know they're really high strung.

Here's a pic of her…
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up with labs.
Got a GSP and he is such a great dog  I bought another one.

Very loyal, smart, and sweet dogs.  They always want to be leaning against you or on your lap.
Pic looks like one who just needs a good home.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a vizsla in the mid 90's and now have two adult weims (and some pups).

Maybe all dogs are like this, or it is just the bird dogs from the sporting group, but left unattended at home by themselves, they will get bored.  When they get bored, they get destructive.

So you have to do something or give them something to be entertained.

I take the Kong type toys and put two or three dabs of peanut butter inside them.  Then I stick them in the freezer over night.  I give them one each  before I leave the house.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Not so much high strung as high energy and high stamina.

Professional dogsled racers, the kind that compete in and win the iditarod and similar races cross traditional sled dog breeds with both English and German pointers to add speed and stamina, which should tell you a bit about how much energy and stamina a full blood pointer has.

ANY dog that isn't getting it's energy drained is going to appear high strung.  The pointer breeds just take a lot more exercise to drain.  Most breeds need exercise equivalent to around a 30 minutes walk once a day...and unfortunately too many get just a 10 minute walk.  Pointers need roughly double what the average dog needs.  They are also less keyed in on fetching, so that eliminates a common secondary way to burn energy off.

What this really means is it gives you a license to be more intense with the pointers.  You don't have to take him for a 60 minute walk when a 5-10 minute walk to get his muscles warmed up followed by 10 minutes of him tearing it up behind you as you bike as fast as you can. Heck, a 10 minute walk to an open field where you can read a book and he can spend a half hour racing around smelling things is good too, provided it's a relatively new environment every time.  (No, putting him out in the back yard doesn't count, he already knows every square inch of that place)

A tired dog is a good dog.  This goes double for pointers
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the tips. I was worried because all the information I read they weren't good house dogs, but new information tells me with some exercise and play time a few times a day is plenty.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Brittany's, and my best friend has GSP's.  The breeds are similar in their energy level and temperament.  I don't consider either hyper.  It's training and regular exercise that takes that out of them.  They are sweet, gentle, loving dogs.  You've chosen wisely.

Edit:  "Had" changed to "Has".
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I adopted one about four years ago, or rather he adopted me. He showed up at the house very thin and strung out. Long story short we ended up keeping him.

As far as a house dog, he could not be better. no-accidents, in four years. He did go through a spell where he tore up three beds, and I mean tore up. Since then we have got him out more often, and seems to help.
They are lightning fast, and he has been a great hunter. Rides the four wheeler with me everywhere.

He has bean my best buddy for four years. He does always want to be on my lap, or he steps on my feet and leans on me all the time. I would do it, You will have a true friend I think.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
What an neat looking dog.  

My GSP, Gunner, is 20 months old and is an excellent house dog.  My wife and I left him to roam the house yesterday while we turkey hunted from 4am to noon, and we found him sleeping in his crate when we got home.  I don't regret getting him for a minute.  I've never been around a dog with such a sweet personality.

He's not fond of deer antlers...
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful dog, Rickesis.
Well I believe y'all convinced me

I'm going Wednesday for one last walk with her and hopefully taking her home.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Got one a few years ago at the shelter, she was a GREAT dog.  Head breast cancer when I got her, that the shelter operated on for free, but it finally took her 3 years later.  I plan on getting another soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Beautiful dog, Rickesis.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Beautiful dog, Rickesis.

View Quote

Awesome!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to Petco today to grab a few things for the dog. Ended up leaving with this :/

Should have her home in a few days. The adoption process is rather long.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two GSP and love them. Great hunting dogs but more importantly they are so good with my kids. They are very protective of everyone they know and one time my kids where playing in my yard and a coyote came into the park we live next to, my dog Benelli (the boy) jumped over the fence and chased after him, the girl dog ran by the kids with her mad hair up and stayed right next to the youngest. We couldnt believe it, you wanna talk about amazing, they both got treated to a special meal that night.

Thats my boy Benelli with me hunting coyotes in a friends farm.

Thats Lilly out finding birds
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have two GSP and love them. Great hunting dogs but more importantly they are so good with my kids. They are very protective of everyone they know and one time my kids where playing in my yard and a coyote came into the park we live next to, my dog Benelli (the boy) jumped over the fence and chased after him, the girl dog ran by the kids with her mad hair up and stayed right next to the youngest. We couldnt believe it, you wanna talk about amazing, they both got treated to a special meal that night.
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/benelli.jpg
Thats my boy Benelli with me hunting coyotes in a friends farm.
http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv131/firemed13/Dog/DSCI0009.jpg
Thats Lilly out finding birds
View Quote

Wow, great story. From what I've heard they are great companions.

The shelter contacted a couple of my references but I haven't heard anything else. I plan on calling tomorrow for an update. I hope I don't get denied.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Lady in our obedience training class had a GSP.  Not sure of the age, but I believe it was a younger dog.  It was IN...wait for it.....SANE!!! But it seemed to be a "good" insane, if that makes sense.  

That dog wanted nothing more than to just love on and be with its owner.  It was incredibly hyper, but seemed like a great dog.  I was REALLY wanting a GSP when looking for our next dog, but we went with a GSD and are very happy with ours.  Looks like you're going to have a great companion!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Had one for 14 years. She just wandered up starving one day and we kept her. Great dog. Absolutely loved people. Very well behaved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Lady in our obedience training class had a GSP.  Not sure of the age, but I believe it was a younger dog.  It was IN...wait for it.....SANE!!! But it seemed to be a "good" insane, if that makes sense.  

View Quote

That dog wanted nothing more than to just love on and be with its owner.  It was incredibly hyper, but seemed like a great dog.  I was REALLY wanting a GSP when looking for our next dog, but we went with a GSD and are very happy with ours.  Looks like you're going to have a great companion!  
This is because pointers are very focused.  If you have one in the bird field, dog wants nothing more than to find birds.  If you teach it dock-diving or frisbee or flyball, when given the opportunity, thats what they want to do more than anything else.   About the only dog that is MORE intense on these things is a border collie and kin.  The great thing about these 4 is they are very location or tool specific and can be 'shut off' by removing the dog from the area or removing the tool.

When the dog ONLY has 'being a companion' then it goes at that full bore.  (Doesn't mean he listens any better...)  It can actually lead to him being destructive when 'Master' is gone.  It's really helpful to get the dog something else to do other than JUST be a pet.

That 'insanity' and 'hyper' is all about not recognizing what the breed really is and because of that failing to direct interest, intensity, and energy.

OP,

I am glad you have decided to get the dog.  I really hope you have a good plan for getting that dog's energy drained and have some activities lined up for the brain.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
2 weeks later I was finally able to take her home.

Everyone meet Pearl Mae

She's still getting use to the house. I'm trying to teach her some things here and there. She's definitely going to have to be on the leash for a while.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi, Pearl Mae. I'm glad you finally got home!
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Well done, OP!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quick Update

Unfortunately, it didn't work out with the dog. The attention she needs, I can't give to her. She has REALLY bad separation anxiety. It almost seems like her behavior has gotten worse since first getting her. She's a super sweet dog, and it's going to be hard taking her back to the shelter but its whats best.
*The contract I signed stated if it didn't work out to return her to the shelter instead of giving her away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Rescues do come with baggage sometimes, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:06:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Rescues do come with baggage sometimes, unfortunately.
View Quote

Yes they do, and I was fine with dealing with them. I almost feel like I failed her….
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quick Update

Unfortunately, it didn't work out with the dog. The attention she needs, I can't give to her. She has REALLY bad separation anxiety. It almost seems like her behavior has gotten worse since first getting her. She's a super sweet dog, and it's going to be hard taking her back to the shelter but its whats best.
*The contract I signed stated if it didn't work out to return her to the shelter instead of giving her away.
View Quote

What exactly was wrong? Did you try kennel training her?
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There's a GSP at a shelter close by that I'm planning on adopting. She is 4 but looks like she wasn't cared for in the past. Real sweet dog, with some training could be great.

Does anyone have one? I don't plan on using her to hunt or anything, and I know they're really high strung.

Here's a pic of her…
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/CoolBoyCV/3_zpsafb988c1.jpeg
View Quote

Pointers are FANTASTIC dogs.   one of best dogs I ever owned was a pointer.

Be aware of what you are getting into though.  They are active dogs, and NEED regular exercise.   If you have both the time and energy to give them that, then you will have a great dog.  If you don't have the energy, or your lifestyle doesn't permit the time, both you and the dog will be frustrated.

Oh, and don't try to pen them in.  Those fuckers can jump a six foot fence without breaking a sweat when they are motivated.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quick Update

View Quote

What exactly was wrong? Did you try kennel training her?
View Quote

Yes, I'm in the process of crate training her now. She is learning. She just isn't the type to be kept kenneled for up to 6 hours while I'm working. Our lifestyles just don't match up.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top