Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/8/2014 4:49:40 PM EDT
I have the chance to get a 12 week old bengal kitten.  I don't know very much about the breed other than what I've read online.  Anybody have any first hand experience with bengals?  Have a 2 year old Maine coon at home that could really use a partner in crime.  My lab doesn't quite know how to play with her, and she gets frustrated when she tries to play with him and he just looks at her like she's crazy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have the chance to get a 12 week old bengal kitten.  I don't know very much about the breed other than what I've read online.  Anybody have any first hand experience with bengals?  Have a 2 year old Maine coon at home that could really use a partner in crime.  My lab doesn't quite know how to play with her, and she gets frustrated when she tries to play with him and he just looks at her like she's crazy.
View Quote

I have a granddaughter who has a Bengal. Her other (incumbent) cat took an instant dislike to the (Bengal) intruder and they more or less hate each other, but manage to share the same dwelling.

After a couple of years, they only hiss at each other occasionally, now.

I would do a lot of reading before getting one, and watch videos on You Tube to get an idea of their behavior.

They can be a handful.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#2]
So, did you take the cat, or not?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#3]
My mom has a bengal. They tend to be very, very high energy cats and they need a lot of exercise, play time and attention otherwise they misbehave or become highly destructive to your home furnishings.

They are very fun cats if you can keep their wild energy burned off. Unlike our cat (a brit) mom's bengal has two settings: on and off. Her cat is either wired and bouncing around or asleep somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
We have two.  Male and female siblings.  They are the most awesome cats.  Playful and intelligent.  They both will fetch like a dog.  High energy when they aren't sleeping and have done a number on various pieces of furniture.  They will purposely destroy something.  Ours are socialized to our immediate family but will run and growl at strangers or noises in the night, like a dog, but hyper-alert.

If you have a chance go for it, although I can't speak on how well they will socialize with your other animals.  Ours would ambush our dog, like complex ambush stuff.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
We got her about a week ago.  Awesome little ball of energy.  She absolutely loves my chocolate lab.  When she decides to sleep, she goes and finds him and curls up against him.  Plays well with our Maine Coon too.  Not destructive...yet.  It cracks me up listening to her and the other cat doing sprints downstairs.  She's very social, and plays harder than any animal I've ever seen.   She seems to really like being around people, and goes out of her way to show you how awesome she is.  I was sitting on the couch the other day, and she came flying down the stairs, jumped into the couch, then over me while spinning sideways, and crashed into the backrest  on the couch.   Then she just looked at me to make sure I saw it, got up and trotted off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds about like a human two-year-old, with extra physical powers.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We got her about a week ago.  Awesome little ball of energy.  She absolutely loves my chocolate lab.  When she decides to sleep, she goes and finds him and curls up against him.  Plays well with our Maine Coon too.  Not destructive...yet.  It cracks me up listening to her and the other cat doing sprints downstairs.  She's very social, and plays harder than any animal I've ever seen.   She seems to really like being around people, and goes out of her way to show you how awesome she is.  I was sitting on the couch the other day, and she came flying down the stairs, jumped into the couch, then over me while spinning sideways, and crashed into the backrest  on the couch.   Then she just looked at me to make sure I saw it, got up and trotted off.
View Quote

Sounds like an awesome cat!

I love the look of Bengals. Never owned one because of the cost, but they're beautiful cats.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#9]
My granddaughter says hers is very affectionate.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:34:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome kitty is awesome :)

But this thread is worthless without pics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the only photo I have of my granddaughter's cat.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top