Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/8/2014 8:30:08 AM EDT
I'm looking into a wireless fence for my dog to keep her from wandering too far. The petsafe stay and play and havahart radial are the same price. The havahart has great "expert" reviews but customer reviews are all over the place. Petsafe has good expert reviews, basically second best to the havahart, and consistently 4/5 star customer reviews. I feel more comfortable trusting the user reviews, anybody have experience with these?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had the PetSafe wireless unit for about 5 years.

It works very well.  My dog is a German Shorthair and she is prone to wander.

I put the base unit inside the house at one corner.  That gives her the most radial range but keeps her off the driveway.  

I am on wireless receiver #2.  They eventually croak.  Batteries last about a month.  You can get them at Lowes for about 10 bucks for two if you need them badly.

I created my own collar by using a hole punch and razor blade to mount the wireless receiver.  The stock collar is pretty flimsy.

The unit will beep a warning at the dog when she gets to the edge of the range.  The shock is pretty stout but they get the point quickly.

Being able to let the dog outside with WAY less worry is great.  Unfortunately you still have to be aware of your surroundings and what can wander into range.  Like skunks, woodchucks, and porcupines.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought the petsafe unit  2 years ago; it didnt last a month before I took it back.
I have 2 Labs and Sheep dog that like to roam....my yard is about 3 acres not counting pasture.
1st the area size was way too small. The first unit claimed 180 feet in diameter....I placed the unit right next to my sliding glass back door and it went about 15 feet past my deck... It covered about 45 feet out; not far at all.
I then bought a 2nd unit (3/4 acre model) to place in my shop in the back hoping to open up the area more..... no luck, I got about 60 feet in all directions out of it.

Then when I called the Company they mentioned trees, shrubs, and elevation (hills) in the yards can even lessen the distance. And they mentioned thier advertised area was without wall or building interception.

This I think is more for small dogs....
Even the collars once the dogs would trigger them, my black lab (the smartest out of the bunch) knew to run as fast as he can away from the transmitter zone or head straight to the pond to get it wet.
And yes the collars are not th greatest, my black lab would chew off the Choc labs collar with ease to set him free only to be left alone to fend for himself after the Choc ran off ha-ha.
They claim they are moisture proof but not even heavy rain proof.
Maybe they have upgraded or changed in the last 2 years but I opted to put up some wire fencing and they have their own 1 acre yard now.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Didnt work well for me. My neighbors dog entered the property (no collar) my young dog chased it out on the road and was killed by a car. In the excitement of the chase my dog ran past the wire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get one, take off the beep/warning.
Couldn't figure out why the batteries on the collar didn't last more than a couple of days.
Finally found out she would go to just inside the warning area and out of the shock area, let the battery  die, then walk across the wire.
Smart a$$ Labs
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
There are, "Beware of dog.  Dog is contained by an invisible fence." ,signs all over my neighborhood. I planted a huge one that said, "Beware of Fence. Fence contained by Invisible Dog.", in my front yard. HOA asked me to remove it
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#6]
pet safe here, love it. works awesome with my lab.
trained her when she was a pup, she will not go into the Danger Zone.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top