Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/5/2014 7:34:10 AM EDT
Meet Clara, 9 week old black lab, here getting her shots at the vet.  As a first time dog owner I am looking to get some insurance for the little girl. Any recommendations from anyone who has insurance they are happy with?

Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi, Clara. She's way cuter than your avatar. I'm no help on the insurance.
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/august/money/pet-costs/pet-insurance-rarely-worth-the-price-in-our-analysis/index.htm

"Pet insurance generally cost more than it paid out in our latest comparison of policies. (See Putting pet policies to the test.) Only in uncommon cases, when a pet required very expensive care, would the coverage have more than paid for itself.

We compared three brands—ASPCA Pet Health Insurance, 24PetWatch QuickCare, and VPI—whose parent companies together control an estimated 90 percent of the market—and Trupanion, a relative newcomer. For our test, we used the lifetime vet bills of Roxy, a 10-year-old beagle in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. She has been basically healthy but has had a few costly episodes, including three visits to a veterinary emergency room, two dental cleanings under anesthesia, and her share of ear and eye infections and gastrointestinal distress.

We projected the net benefit of pet insurance under nine policies for Roxy, a healthy 10-year-old beagle. Over the years, her vet bills have totaled $7,026 (in current dollars). Because Roxy has had few major health problems, the insurance would have cost more than it paid out. But when we added treatment for more serious problems and increased her vet bills to $12,685, five of the nine policies would have paid back at least a little more than they cost."

Note these two parts

We all know that an insurance company's business is to take in premiums and pay out as little of those premiums as possible, right? So why is it a shock that they make it hard to get anything back.

FMF readers that have said they are counting on pet insurance to help them out in case of trouble might be in for a rude awakening. As the author of the Wise Bread piece said, "In this case we were lucky. 76 percent of $545 is something we can afford right now. But what if it was 76 percent of $7,000?" Yes, 76% of $7,000 would be trouble for many people.

Now, ALL insurance companies have the model if they get people to as a group pay in more than the insurance company pays out. For human insurance, people are willing to take the hit for piece of mind and because there are human health catastrophes that can easily reach $100,000...or in some instances a TON more.

Yes, pets are more a member of the family than ever before. People are paying $10,000 to have issues corrected. But they aren't paying $100,000. People love pets as family members, but when a kid gets hurt you'll cash out your entire retirement savings, the college fund, and sell your house and live in a van if that's what it takes. Truth be told few pet owners are going to sell the house to save the pet.

If you are the type of person who would sell the house to save a pet, who would honestly pay $50,000 to save your pet, insurance is probably a good deal for you because it offsets a possible catastrophic financial hit with a very real and certain minor financial hit.

For most people, they'd be better served by putting roughly the same amount as the insurance would cost away monthly in a generic mutual fund or heck just in the bank.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I just researched it a couple months ago and googled "best pet insurance 2014" and there were several places that ranked the top 10. I remember that the #2 option was actually the one I was going to go with after I did some research. We have not done it though. It increases every year by a pretty large sum. After having my mom spend $4,000 on surgery for a Yorkie, I've considered it more and more though. Start with the Top 10 lists and go from there based on what you want.

Beautiful pup man. Start training today.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SNIP
View Quote

TL/DR.  

Honestly OP, with a Lab, I probably wouldn't bother with pet insurance.  We have an English Bulldog, and with their known issues, we pay for insurance through Trupanion.  Its already paid off when they paid 90% (minus our deductible) of her ACL Surgery.  They sent a check for right around $1900.00 and we had it within a week after submission.  So its been well worth it for us. Luckily she's been awesomely healthy other then being a maniac (think Jack Russel with the body of a Bulldog)

Best of luck to you and your new pooch!
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:40:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Check this rating.

http://www.consumersadvocate.org/pet-insurance/best-pet-insurance.html?matchtype=p&keyword=pet%20insurance%20reviews&adpos={adposition}

ETA  I had pet watch coverage for my Lab.  He had prostate cancer.  With the 75% option most of the expenses were covered.  Several times we had to call only to find out they didn't show we had sent any receipts or claim forms.  Ended up scanning and attaching to emails which improved response times.  My boy has been gone for over a year now and I do not regret carrying coverage on him.

The lab I had before that ended up with cataracts.  At the time the cost was $2,500 per eye and I had no coverage.  He had a stoke and died the week before surgery.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meet Clara, 9 week old black lab, here getting her shots at the vet.  As a first time dog owner I am looking to get some insurance for the little girl. Any recommendations from anyone who has insurance they are happy with?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/302245/clara1.jpg
View Quote

Great looking dog!  

Have you looked into PetPlan?  We had them in England for our pets, and will be getting the US version now that we are back.  Pretty good prices and great coverage!
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top