Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2014 8:03:08 PM EDT
I'm getting a male this June from a repeat breeding of two really nice rotts.  I'm excited to get a good protection dog!

Here is a pic of the stud.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, congrats on the upcoming pup. Post pics when you bring him home! Please don't take this the wrong way, but know what you are doing before you bring him home. If you have had Rotts before, you know what I mean. Start getting him socialized and trained immediately when you get him. They are some of the most hard headed and stubborn dogs around. Give them an inch and they will take a mile! I have had 3 males since 1999 and love the breed. My current pup is 18 mos old and fancies himself a lap dog and is glued to the boy when I'm not home. They always break your heart too soon. 6-8 years seems to be an average run for them. remember- POST PICS WHEN YOU GRAB HIM!
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Great dogs, but as already mentioned life span is on the shorter side.

Watch for hip problems,  Don't scoop him up as a pup and squish his hips between your body and arm. From day one be the ALPHA dog....Don't take little things to lightly, to the pup its a win for him. Also understand what "ROTTIE TALK" is and I'm telling you to back off is. And when this happens don't show any fear, again be the alpha.

Socialize him as much as possible from day one. get him around other dogs and start obedience training early. They are stubborn little bastards, but they are natural big goof balls as well.

And watch the diet, fatty foods and rotties can leave a KILLER death gas lingering in the room.

They like all dogs will protect you and the family to their death. They are very loyal, intruders have been known to be cornered by rotties. Kind like a game of come on in, but your now going to wait here till my master comes home.

Oh, and they do snore when really tired....

Snert..
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My sister has one and it's like a hundred pound puppy.  It just wants to play and be rubbed. No meanness in it at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My cousin has had Rotties for years.  I have NEVER felt anything other than love and respect from these dogs.  I rough-house with them and they've always been playful and submissive.  They have never been anything  other than huge "lap dogs".  My cousin says that it's all in their training.  

On the other hand..  I've seen some horrible Rott bites/maulings in my long insurance career.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the feedback. The breeder is a friend and he is a trainer.  His dogs are all healthy.  Hips/eyes/cardiac.  These aren't typical puppy mill dogs.  He normally gets $2,000 to $2,500 for a pup.

ETA:  He said to take the dog everywhere in the first 12 months, and socialize with as many people as possible.  He said the dog will begin to pick up on bad vibes.  His male in the pic just stands next to him and watches you when you walk up.  Every time I walk up on them, I still get the heeby jeebies just looking at the stare that dog can put down.  It's an awesome look.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The litter.  6 males, 3 females.

Link Posted: 3/30/2014 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a good size brood!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Two Rotts here.  My female passed last year, and the male is still with me.  Great dogs.  

My newest is a Boerboel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#9]
good looking dog.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Picking up my new dag tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Pics when you get the pup!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]
My male is sitting next to me now, getting all the attention he can.   Fantastic dog.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats, OP.  Awesome breed.  I'm a GSD guy, but love Rottweilers as well.  I like their tails intact too.

It looks like the sire of more of a show dog.  If you want your to be a protection dog, stop by one of the local Schutzhund clubs and see if he has potential.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats, OP.  Awesome breed.  I'm a GSD guy, but love Rottweilers as well.  I like their tails intact too.

It looks like the sire of more of a show dog.  If you want your to be a protection dog, stop by one of the local Schutzhund clubs and see if he has potential.
View Quote

One of my favorite dog training videos is of the lady that trained her puny little terrier to do schutzhund and WIN...

'Looks' don't mean shit and an otherwise 'crappy' dog CAN be trained to do what is asked of it...

link to video
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One of my favorite dog training videos is of the lady that trained her puny little terrier to do schutzhund and WIN...

'Looks' don't mean shit and an otherwise 'crappy' dog CAN be trained to do what is asked of it...

link to video
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link to video

You may want to fact check that.  That appears to be a demo.  She did not compete at the Nationals with that dog and certainly did not win.  Can't tell very well, but Govednik appears to be the judge.

That said, it is an awesome video.  The bark and hold is hilarious.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top