Dad
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2450/13000736865_e82ee2fa4c_b.jpg

Mom
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3534/13001023754_577522b27e_b.jpg
View Quote
Contact info for that breeeder plz
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, locally to me to is a 6 year old retired police Mal. As I understand it he is current at home with his handler, but isn't doing well with retirement and the handlers young children.
He does also have arthritis in both hips, for what that information is worth

They are looking for rescues/organizations that are experienced with working Mals, to help find a proper home for him were he can have a happy rest of his retirement. Do you guys have any recommendations on organizations to point them towards, or maybe we have working or retired handlers around here who would be interested in helping this guy out?

I am going to cross post in GD, if I forget to check this thread okease shoot me a PM. Thanks guys
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ricomock:
Hey guys, locally to me to is a 6 year old retired police Mal. As I understand it he is current at home with his handler, but isn't doing well with retirement and the handlers young children.
He does also have arthritis in both hips, for what that information is worth

They are looking for rescues/organizations that are experienced with working Mals, to help find a proper home for him were he can have a happy rest of his retirement. Do you guys have any recommendations on organizations to point them towards, or maybe we have working or retired handlers around here who would be interested in helping this guy out?

I am going to cross post in GD, if I forget to check this thread okease shoot me a PM. Thanks guys
View Quote
https://missionk9rescue.org/
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Emma 10 weeks old

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

We added to our family a couple of months ago. Forego all of the recommendations of intriducing a newborn to a dog. The second we walked in the door with our kid, Red was licking her in the face, and checking on her when she cried.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#14]
What breeder are you Dutch Shepherd people using? Been in search for a while for a good breeder. Seems like every breeder I find has really good reviews but also a lot of bad reviews
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#15]
We just rescued this handsome boy, Sig.  My best friend of 13 years was laid to rest last weekend.  After grieving and praying, we were led to him. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DocThor:
What breeder are you Dutch Shepherd people using? Been in search for a while for a good breeder. Seems like every breeder I find has really good reviews but also a lot of bad reviews
View Quote
Are you looking for a "real" Dutch Shepherd (working dog) or just a brindle colored pet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Not spoiled.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By adhahn:

Are you looking for a "real" Dutch Shepherd (working dog) or just a brindle colored pet?
View Quote
He will be a working dog, mainly property/home protection dog. Family has had everything from dobermans to Great Danes to German shepherds to labs and a lot more and would like to try something different. I’ve been looking in to Aachen out of Oklahoma at their Dutch’s
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
He will be a working dog, mainly property/home protection dog. Family has had everything from dobermans to Great Danes to German shepherds to labs and a lot more and would like to try something different. I’ve been looking in to Aachen out of Oklahoma at their Dutch’s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By adhahn:

The breeder our DS came from is not using the same dogs anymore. Right now she's working with a female who is closely related to the litter Petr Hruska just produced. You can find him on Facebook. So far, the female looks promising. I don't know how to contact Petr besides Facebook.

There are no guarantees with pups, good breeders manage to achieve some level of consistency though. From what I understand, Petr uses dogs that still have decent herding genetics so they will tend to have the handler responsiveness, etc that accompanies herders. Of course they can still perform protection/bite work but it's not nessassarily their sole purpose in life.

Since she's not currently breeding anything, that's the closest I can point you towards the breeder we purchased from.

As you search for a pup, keep in mind that there will be lines with stronger herding temperaments, lines with high prey drive, lines with strong dominant so-called "aggression" tendencies, etc. Also, be aware that there is a heavy demand from LE for dogs with high hunt drive, so there are breeders who cater to the LE market prioritizing hunt drive. In broad, general terms, a Dutch Shepherd will be "protective", have stronger prey and herding drives than a GSD, etc. The balance and prioritizing of drives when breeding can make one DS quite different from another though.

You sort of need to know what balance of drives you want then choose a breeder who produces that type of dog.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By rcreecer:
We just rescued this handsome boy, Sig.  My best friend of 13 years was laid to rest last weekend.  After grieving and praying, we were led to him. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318031/20190430_204102_jpg-933143.JPG
View Quote
You have been blessed in return. Congrats on a new best friend!
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Loki 13 months old
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#22]
GSD “Hugo Stiglitz” at about 10 weeks, then at 10 months.

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]
My dear wife surprised me yesterday with messages that said:
“This is happening. I’m getting a puppy crate. We have an appointment to meet the breeder at 6pm. Happy Father’s Day.”

This girl is 8 weeks old, from working lines (DDR/Serbian/Austrian).

Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
This dog loves his lure coursing
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Started herding classes with him.  He's picking it up fast.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#26]
My 3 kids playing in the river

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By tripleoption:
Started herding classes with him.  He's picking it up fast.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/380517/herding-1001421.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful!
Link Posted: 7/16/2019 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Purple flowers are out in force in the mountains, so it's time for Cain's annual purple flower picture.

Now 5yrs old, 100lbs, and thinks he's really good at fly fishing.

He watches the line and fly and tries to be there to grab any fish still dumb enough to be in the pool, and really dumb enough to hit the fly.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#29]
12 weeks old now...

Link Posted: 7/16/2019 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BeautifulStranger:
Our sweet Ava tore her doggy ACL while on a walk. She had surgery over a month ago and the Dr seems to think she should be back to normal. I’m here to tell you she’s not and the way she acts I don’t think she will ever be. Poor thing is so lazy and depressed now. I hope she will show more improvement and be able to chase a ball again.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76804/33830515-40CE-4D2C-BFF0-115306AE17E9-818624.jpg
View Quote
Honestly it depends on what type of repair was done (TPLO vs. extra-capsular approach) as to how long healing time will be. My golden retriever ruptured both of his CCL's (thankfully at different times). The first one was his right and I had the extra capsular approach done by the vet I was working for at the time. It took quite a long time for that leg to heal and it was not nearly as stable afterwards. When he ruptured the other one I elected to have the TPLO procedure done on him even though it was more expensive. It was totally worth it. He healed so much better and that leg was significantly more stable. We also took him to PT once a week for 8 weeks post op. Just like people, recovery time will be a dog to dog thing. It depends on what procedure was done, age, weight, fitness before hand, what you're doing post op, etc. But you're really looking at 6 months full recovery time before you can return to normal activity. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 8/10/2019 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Well just recently decided it was time to get another GSD. My pup is 11 in December and I've read quite a bit about a senior dog having a younger dog around helps extend their life expectancy a bit. He is doing fantastic would never know he is 11, but you can tell he definitely tires out a bit faster than usual, but still looks and moves like a young dog.

This is Mia, she is a 4 months old, will be picking her up in about 7 weeks.

And here is my 11 year old.

After having the most perfect imaginable dog for the past 9 years, I'm not sure if I'm that excited for this first year lol.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#32]
We'll be picking up my new dog this September, another working GSD.  I got this pic from the breeder last week, when the litter was 2 weeks old.  There were only 3 in the litter, so they are large for their age.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Vrijheid Dutch Shepherds

If you can wait. She's a vet & titles her own dogs in French Ring & shoots for a dog that can title in FR & chill on your couch while you watch a movie in the evening.
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that your dog and helmet?

Can you give a review? Maybe a new thread on helmets and vests etc?

I'm very interested
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#35]
A great photo of an awesome dog! Cain is a BIG boy!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Our little baby Dutchie...

Attachment Attached File

...is all grown up!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Little Miss Mali Vuk (Croatian for "Little Wolf") is now 1.5 years old, and 50lbs (pocket rocket). She will be going for her PSA PDC and PSA1 titles in the spring and is currently working on her Explosive Detection K9 certification.
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By guns762:
Purple flowers are out in force in the mountains, so it's time for Cain's annual purple flower picture.

Now 5yrs old, 100lbs, and thinks he's really good at fly fishing.

He watches the line and fly and tries to be there to grab any fish still dumb enough to be in the pool, and really dumb enough to hit the fly.  

https://i.imgur.com/QYb4V7w.jpg
View Quote
That is a beautiful picture. My wife need to head north and spend more time in WY.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#38]
GSD Loki is about 1.5 years old now.
Buddies with 7 month old Bullmastiff.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#39]
My little gal is going off for a couple weeks of "reform school." Intensive basic foundation work/social & distraction training with a training group we've used before.

She looks awfully innocent in her 6 month picture for a puppy that's trashed some furniture & carpet.

Link Posted: 10/12/2019 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

She was pretty happy about this development.
Link Posted: 11/3/2019 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Took our GSD out for a pic with the kids...

Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Enjoying a nice walk recently.

Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Any of you cats know where a guy could get a well bred Dutch near East Texas? I mean within like a 5 hour drive of Longview/Tyler. I’ve been looking for a long time. I forgot you can find anything on this forum. Lol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Picture bump to bring us into this decade...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:25:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertyhillguy] [#45]
Seth
Only a year oldAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Our new rescue, got him about 2 weeks ago, meet Storm...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By monkeypunch:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272212/IMG952276_jpg-915942.JPG

We added to our family a couple of months ago. Forego all of the recommendations of intriducing a newborn to a dog. The second we walked in the door with our kid, Red was licking her in the face, and checking on her when she cried.
View Quote
I did the bring the swaddling blanket home trick. My Mal carried it with him everywhere. Figured, whelp that’s about what I expected

Our GSD is super mothering & the Mals protective. They’re both still adjusting to the crying, they were devastated for days when we brought him home. “Little human is upset and I don’t know why?!?”

There really is no finer dog than a well trained Shepherd.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#49]
A photographer took this pic for me
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Our new "rescue" GSD

Attachment Attached File
Page / 21
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top