Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 8/9/2010 1:41:21 PM EDT
Since the GF and i moved in together, I now have 2 little dogs living with me. A Yorkie and a Maltese/poodle.

Look just like 2 ewoks.

Overall good dogs, but they are, especially the yorkie, deadly afraid of anything wet.

When it rains outside or has rained, or even if the grass may be a bit damp, they will flat-out refuse to poop/pee outside.

They'll stand by the door, and just wait until they are let back in. Once inside, it wont take long for at least one to relieve herself on the rug.

How can I stop this? How can I get these things to do their work outside, and not inside? They're both around 2.5 years old.

I understand not wanting to be outside when it's pouring out, but come on, damp grass??

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TimBear] [#1]
Leave outside until they do go poop/pee.  Beat them to inches of their lives when they pee/poop inside, then rub their nose in it and throw them outside.

When they relieve themselves outside, praise them.
When they relieve themselves inside, unleash the wrath of Monkey_Wrench.

Sidenote:  Tell your GF to train her damn dogs...  and of course, we need pics of said GF for this thread to continue...
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By TimBear:

Leave outside until they do go poop/pee.  Beat them to inches of their lives when they pee/poop inside, then rub their nose in it and throw them outside.

Sidenote:  Tell your GF to train her damn dogs...  and of course, we need pics of said GF for this thread to continue...

I was very tempted to rub their noses in it, but I read that that's a bad idea and doesn't help.

I've threatened to use the yorkie as a disposable silencer on my M16, and the fluffy white one as a receiver pull-through cleaner for my 1919A4, but they still won't listen.

Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoving thier faces into thier waste won't do much good, if anything make matters worse.
Try going outside with them, your vocie and tone of voice work best, show disapointment when they do bad and praise when doing good.

When inside don't give them the run of the house, only parts of it, like the kitchen or whatever easy to clean room.  they work they're way into the other rooms as they get better.
Use crates, they want to piss ans shit inside, fine let them do it in thier crate and sit there all day smelling it.

If all else fails, then you're not a dog person.  Get rid of the dogs, the GF and the dogs, make a nice dog stew, or what ever combo works for you.
Some people just ain't dog people.

Some dogs (owners) just need more training then others.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You could try taking them out on a leash.  Lead them on to the grass or wherever you want them to do their business and tell them to "go potty" or whatever.  Stand there in that spot for 5 minutes or so, you can remind them verbally but don't beg or plead or play games with them.  If they go, give them praise.  If they don't, bring them inside and put them in their crate (hopefully they have one) leave them there for 20 minutes or so and repeat until they do.  Give praise when they do what you want.  The crate is not meant as punishment, and they should not see it as that if done properly.  It's simply a means to contain them so they don't make the carpet their toliet.

Bottom line is the dogs pissing and shitting in the house is your and your GF's problem, not theirs.  They just do it because it's the path of least resistance.  No use punishing them when they do it inside, unless you catch them in the act, then just a verbal "No!" and then put them outside for a while to make sure they're finished.

I'm not a dog whisperer or anything, but my dog doesn't shit in the house either

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the tips. I'm very well aware that it's something we must teach them, it's not their fault.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:28:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3GunStuffLLC] [#6]
One of my Yorkies has the wet grass phobia too.  Here's what I do, pick her up, take her outside, set her down in wet grass, she usually then gives in and pees.  If it's raining sometimes I have to hold an umbrella over her.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 1:54:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gjg] [#7]
Originally Posted By Monkey_Wrench:
Since the GF and i moved in together, I now have 2 little dogs living with me. A Yorkie and a Maltese/poodle.

Look just like 2 ewoks.

Overall good dogs, but they are, especially the yorkie, deadly afraid of anything wet.
When it rains outside or has rained, or even if the grass may be a bit damp, they will flat-out refuse to poop/pee outside.
They'll stand by the door, and just wait until they are let back in. Once inside, it wont take long for at least one to relieve herself on the rug.

How can I stop this? How can I get these things to do their work outside, and not inside? They're both around 2.5 years old.

I understand not wanting to be outside when it's pouring out, but come on, damp grass??

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:04:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGB] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 2:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 3GunStuffLLC:
One of my Yorkies has the wet grass phobia too.  Here's what I do, pick her up, take her outside, set her down in wet grass, she usually then gives in and pees.  If it's raining sometimes I have to hold an umbrella over her.

Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
When they pee in the house, dump a cup of water on them.  That way they fear you more than the outside.

If you have the capability (yard, not apt), leave them outside till they go.  Don't let them be under a roof, tie it in the yard.

I've spanked my dog for going in the house, but your dogs are just too small to hit.  My boxer can take it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SGB:
I'm sorry but I'm old school, when I catch a pup pissing or shitting in the house they get a stern "NO" then they get their nose briefly placed in the offending excrement and then taken outside and WE stay outside until they finish what they started. Not easy, not fun, not popular but it's worked on every Dog I've ever owned.

As to a Dog that won't go outside when it's wet you have to lead by example. One of my Dachshunds hates the rain and would not go out when wet. Worse the wife would not make him, and yes he's the one that was going in the house. Between carrying him out into the rain and staying with him while he did his business and the above it took all of a week to eliminate his using the house for a toilet.

Raising Children, training dogs and herding adults takes a stern and steady hand and a willingness to tell the mamby pambies to fuck off.

I love you.  In a completely manly way of course, like I love Rambo movies.
Link Posted: 8/10/2010 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
take the dogs out to poop and pee

when the dog is actively pooping or peeing say Go Poop! or Make a Log, Dog! or whatever. Then when the dog is done, give him a treat and praise.

when it is raining, go out, give the command...and wait.  Give the command again...and wait.

Bring your umbrella, you might be out there for a half an hour or longer.

When the dog does poop, no matter how long, praise and give reward.

After grass dries, repeat the command word and praise AND TREAT for a few more days.

For the life of the dog, continue to use the command word and give praise, but you can stop doing treats.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I walk them outside and wait until they went however long it takes.  Using an open rolled section of newspaper make a loud pop when struck in your hand.  It will get there attention and use "Bad Dog!" when the go in the house.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 2:32:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Look just like 2 ewoks.

My mastiff pup is scared of a lot too....it's actually funny to see a large dog scared of storms and rain but he is. He won't go out. So I would just push him out the door and shut the blinds so he can't see in. He has learned that the quicker he goes poop n pee the quicker he comes in.

We are working on a beagle pup right now. He isn't going to take much either. My mastiff is a visual aid for the Beagle.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By uafgrad:
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:
When they pee in the house, dump a cup of water on them.  That way they fear you more than the outside.

If you have the capability (yard, not apt), leave them outside till they go.  Don't let them be under a roof, tie it in the yard.

I've spanked my dog for going in the house, but your dogs are just too small to hit.  My boxer can take it.

Are you fucking serious?

Yeah.  I plan on spanking my kids too.  My dog is very friendly, fun loving, and well adjusted.  I get compliments all the time about how well behaved he is for a boxer.

He hurts himself worse while playing, and doesn't skip a beat.  It's not about the pain, it's about the knowledge that they did something wrong.  In fact, I haven't even spanked him in about 9 months because all I have to do is tap his rear leg and he knows what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 9:00:17 AM EDT
[#19]
My dog doesn't like wet grass either but he will go eventually if out long enough. It helps for me to walk with him across the yard.
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By osprey21:

Originally Posted By gjg:

Look just like 2 ewoks.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4SwbftBYYpNJmM:http://www.sweetmarias.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/burlap.20lb.pre.jpg&t=1           http://earth911.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/single-brick.jpg

http://www.igreens.org.uk/coalport_bridge.jpg

There's one in every crowd......  

it would seem so.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Leave outside until they do go poop/pee.  Beat them to inches of their lives when they pee/poop inside, then rub their nose in it and throw them outside.     CRUELTY

You do not rub a dogs nose in its fecal matter.  Parasites and other bacteria can damage the dog internally.  I do agree with leaving them outside until they relieve themselves.  I had this problem before.  Crate training is another option, as they will usually forego messing up there domicile.

There is also that new grass carpet for pets on the market, as well as puppy pads.  Had a neighbor whose poodle was pad trained for the same problem.  Better puppy pads than smelly carpets.

At least when our problem pooch has an accident, she uses the throw rug by the door...easier to clean.  Make sure you stay outside with them until they go.  If one goes, allow them to go inside and keep the other outside till they go.  Competition is a great trainer.

In the meantime, check out why you should leave sleeping dogs lie (several examples).     http://www.wimp.com/sleepingdogs/

have a safe halloween!

Carla

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JonnyVain:

You can use a spray bottle of water for any kind of training purposes, but you have to teach them to accept rain as a fact of life.  I also agree wit hthe middle of the yard, where they have no choice but to grin and bear it.  They will learn to do it faster that way.  If you want to train without rain, try a lawn sprinkler to simulate rain.
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By akodo:
take the dogs out to poop and pee

when the dog is actively pooping or peeing say Go Poop! or Make a Log, Dog! or whatever. Then when the dog is done, give him a treat and praise.

when it is raining, go out, give the command...and wait.  Give the command again...and wait.

Bring your umbrella, you might be out there for a half an hour or longer.

When the dog does poop, no matter how long, praise and give reward.

After grass dries, repeat the command word and praise AND TREAT for a few more days.

For the life of the dog, continue to use the command word and give praise, but you can stop doing treats.

Excellent advice.  Mine have learned and understand.....Go Potty, Make a Potty, Hurry up, and get in here

Now if I could get them to stop barking at every little noise
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]

This is what I do too.

But mine does NOT mess up in the house.  Ever.  She'll hit that bell on the door and tell you she needs to go out and might hesitate under the porch if it is pouring and not go, but she will NOT pee or crap on the floor.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Look just like 2 ewoks.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4SwbftBYYpNJmM:http://www.sweetmarias.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/burlap.20lb.pre.jpg&t=1           http://earth911.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/single-brick.jpg

I thought it was kinda funny....then I thought it was messed up....then I thought it was kinda funny again....

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Try to set it up where your girlfriend leaves the gate open. Console her with a Golden Retriever puppy after the rat dogs run away.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By USMCRONIN:
Shoving thier faces into thier waste won't do much good, if anything make matters worse.
Try going outside with them, your vocie and tone of voice work best, show disapointment when they do bad and praise when doing good.

When inside don't give them the run of the house, only parts of it, like the kitchen or whatever easy to clean room.  they work they're way into the other rooms as they get better.
Use crates, they want to piss ans shit inside, fine let them do it in thier crate and sit there all day smelling it.

If all else fails, then you're not a dog person.  Get rid of the dogs, the GF and the dogs, make a nice dog stew, or what ever combo works for you.

Absolutely correct, outside with them!  Yup, you have to get wet too. How about a leash to take them away from the door...praise and stay out until they do the business!  2.5 years old...I would guess this behavior has been allowed until now.......going to be hard to break!  Wee Wee Pads...the one thing that works for little dogs.....

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By VERDAD:
Originally Posted By USMCRONIN:

Absolutely correct, outside with them!  Yup, you have to get wet too. How about a leash to take them away from the door...praise and stay out until they do the business!  2.5 years old...I would guess this behavior has been allowed until now.......going to be hard to break!  Wee Wee Pads...the one thing that works for little dogs.....

Pee Pads WILL train the dog that it is ok to potty inside your home. Bad idea unless you like to buy lots of pee pads.

A dog WILL piss in their crate if they really got to go. You are fooling yourself to think otherwise.

If one of my dogs has an accident in MY home - They better be ill or all hell is going to break loose. I do NOT like cleaning up accidents and dogs 'need' to be taught that that crap is unacceptable inside the home. You will not ruin your dog by yelling at it when they pee on your floor... Last accident we had here was when one of my girls took a dump inside her sisters crate. I could not bring myself to fuss at the dog because afterall she did not crap in MY house - She took a crap in her SISTERS house... Sister must have done something to deserve it! LOL!

Mine hate the rain also but they figured out quickly that the faster they go potty - The faster they get to come inside. I had to stand out in the middle of the yard with them a few times in the rain for them to get the idea. Rainy day pottybreaks take my dogs seconds now and they run for the door as soon as they are finished.

Something else that has not yet been mentioned worked well for me. Feed your dogs on a REGULAR schedule and they will potty on a regular schedule. Mine eat at about the same time each day and because of this they generally go poop about the same times each day. Because of my dogs feeding schedule I can just about count on them going poop at @ 7 or 8 each morning and again around 7 or 8 each night. Any other turds are a bonus (dogs just wanted to squeeze out more because they were at the park or something) .

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DoberDude:

Look just like 2 ewoks.

I thought it was kinda funny....then I thought it was messed up....then I thought it was kinda funny again....

Same here.

I'd either leave them out until they go or take them for a walk until they go.  Also, the pads are a bad idea.  The dog should never think that's it's OK to eliminate in the house.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#30]

I use pads with my purse dogs. I don't expect them to hold it while I'm at work, and I don't want to go outside after dark all the time. Pads are awesome.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 12:02:01 AM EDT
[#31]
It took 2 days of attempts to fully train our GSD pup to go outside. I don't think it would have even been that long if we weren't lazy and doing the potty pad thing but when we got him it was the dead of winter. We have him on a very regular schedule and I think it helps. He eats, sleeps, go out to poop and pees the same time 7 days a week. You just have to practice consistency.

I would also ignore the fool that beats their dog and calls it training. Yelling and being physically abusive towards them will not help. Teach them through positive reinforcement, put forth effort and skip the potty pads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

View Quote
Seriously, this is really bad advice. Venting your anger on a dog only confuses them and makes them afraid of you. Neither are conducive to the dog learning what you want them to learn. Crate your dogs when you can't supervise them or you're away from the house until they're housebroken. Take them outside on a leash and walk them when you take them out of the crate. Praise them when they go outside. When you're watching them when theyre free in the house and they start to go, tell them no and take them out on the leash immediately. Praise when they go outside.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I was very tempted to rub their noses in it, but I read that that's a bad idea and doesn't help.

I've threatened to use the yorkie as a disposable silencer on my M16, and the fluffy white one as a receiver pull-through cleaner for my 1919A4, but they still won't listen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It is a bad idea to rub their noses in it, and people who do it are assholes.

Leave them outside until they go. Be out there with them waiting.  And give them a lot of praise and treats when they finally go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m telling y’all, pads rock.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: youngandfree] [#35]
My 70lb mutt hates wet grass too.  My 8lb dog stands outside playing the statue game, even in pouring rain.  He don't care.  My dogs go out the kitchen door and off a covered patio.   When it's wet, I usually chase the big one off.  He usually goes in the mulch around the pario, or sneaks along under the overhang under the gutter.  And pees on the bush.  He's been known to squeeze between the AC and the house to stay under the overhang. And when he is done, he runs back.  I don't have to walk my dogs outside.  My little one stays out until he fees like coming in, or I shake the treat container.

And pee pads are stupid.  My mom's dog uses one, mainly because her leg doesn't allow her to go down stairs much to let the dog out.  When the dog does goes out, she wanders and barks for 30 minutes, then comes in and goes on the pad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Holy necrothread.

My dogs haven't done it in years. They are 8 and 11 now. What worked best for me was a stern verbal correction (even if discovered after the fact) and then taking them outside and praising them when they go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Good God.

I have lost count of how many dogs we have house trained.  Living in AK, they can't be just "left outdoors" for the crowd that demands that dogs belong outside...so we train them.

If they are out there, when it is time, they WILL figure it out.  You have to be consistent, though.  Take them out there, and praise them when they do.  I was raised in the household where you rubbed their nose in the piss puddle.  Guess what?  Dad was wrong about that.  It took me a couple dogs to figure it out.

My English Mastiff, whos entire line going back 6 generations, was bred and born in one of the coldest parts of Alaska.  Guess what?  He was afraid of snow!  Not good when 6 months of the year is covered with that shit.  We had to just keep taking him out there, standing there in a freaking snow storm, staring at each other, until he did it.

They figure it out, if you aren't a total asshole.

He will hold it until it comes out of his ears, now.

Consistency.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Dont listen to a fucking thing this guy has to say...
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 9:32:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By epointer:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By epointer:

No shit. Pun intended.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Yep.

Helps to keep the grass short, or even create a special area that is pea gravel only. Can you imagine using the bathroom with wet grass tickling your butt?

Set them in the wet grass while on a leash, and just wait. And if you’ve given them a while and they still won’t go, they come inside and go in a kennel for 15 minutes or so, then take them back outside. Repeat until they go where they’re supposed to go, then praise. I’m working on housetraining a 16 week old Pug right now, and he doesn’t really like wet grass either. But i’m more stubborn than he is.

As for the suggestion to rub their noses in their mess and beat them, please ignore that. It doesn’t work, but it can absolutely create problems. No one with any degree of dog training knowledge would legitimately suggest that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Look just like 2 ewoks.

View Quote
Take a gander at this video:
https://youtu.be/N9cNMzVkdNo
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top